Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Default iTunes Match and existing iPod

I have an iPod classic that i have had for years with a ton of music on it but most of it i have deleted off my computer to free up space. I was wondering if i signed up for iTunes Match and plugged my iPod into my computer would iTunes match scan the songs that are on my iPod also? Any insights or suggestions would be awesome, just want some more information before i spend the $24.99.
    Follow me on Twitter...
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    5b7

I strongly doubt that iTunes Match will scan your iPod. You should look into solutions to transfer music from your iPod to your library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericg1840 View Post
    I have an iPod classic that i have had for years with a ton of music on it but most of it i have deleted off my computer to free up space. I was wondering if i signed up for iTunes Match and plugged my iPod into my computer would iTunes match scan the songs that are on my iPod also? Any insights or suggestions would be awesome, just want some more information before i spend the $24.99.

I haven't confirmed this or not, but I believe iTunes Match is only for iOS devices.
    Thanked by:
    zackawee27 (10-06-2011)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

Yes, iOS devices only get iTunes match.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a 4th gen. iPod as well. With iTunes Match are they (Apple) trying to move away from the old iPod format?
    Last edited by mad_iphone4; 10-06-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Add another question
    BlackBerry Curve 8330, Storm2 9550, Bold 9650, iPhone 4 (VZW)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by mad_iphone4 View Post
    With iTunes Match are they (Apple) trying to move away from the old iPod format?
    Probably, but not just for iOS devices. The Classic iPods contain hard drives and mechanical parts. The iPod Touch line is much more robust and less prone to breakage (except for he screen )

But hard disks are cheaper to manufacture than SSD and/or flash memory chips, so the capacity of the Classic line is larger. I will be sad to see them go. My 120GB Classic is still going strong.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina