Official iTunes Match beta thread

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Last night I decided to check myself, and can't even find an iTunes Match option in iTunes. Have I somehow updated to a version of iTunes that doesn't have it? Did I forget where to find it? Have I gone blonde?

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Last night I decided to check myself, and can't even find an iTunes Match option in iTunes. Have I somehow updated to a version of iTunes that doesn't have it? Did I forget where to find it? Have I gone blonde?

i believe u have to have itunes 10.5.1 beta for it to work

Reactions: Alli

otaku83

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
some problems

iTunes Match worked fine on my iPhone 4 when I was in the middle of uploading my collection to the servers, but since iTunes completed the process I always get an error message: "The item you have requested is not available for download". Seems like it wouldn't work in the middle of the process instead once the process is completed, but in any case now I cannot download my music to my phone.

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
itunes match is beautiful i have a 16GB ipad and was kicking myself that i shouldve got a 32GB because i want all my music on there with my movies.. im not sure the exact science behind itunes match because ive playing all my music from the cloud and my storage compacity hasnt changed much.. does it download the music to your device or stream it?

sphen13

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i have mine working -- took a few dyas to get all the music up etc - have about 24000 on match right now -- BUT.. my iphone 4 is sooooo slow when i try to use it with the music -- sometimes it just flat out crashes when in music or best case it takes 30 seconds at least to start playing a song and i have a 18 Mbit connection... not sure what the deal is... gonna try it on another computer and my ipad to see if its any better on that...

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone using the beta have any predictions on when it will be made public? I thought for sure today, since Monday is the end of the month. Psyched for this to go live.

stratmajik

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Question on the yearly cost. They say it is $24.99 per year. So say I already did the iTunes Match for all my library in the first year and don't need it after that all since I will buy everything from iTunes from now on. Does that mean to keep my library the iTunes match uploaded in that first year, I have to keep paying the yearly fee or does it mean that if I wanted to upload more songs in the future with iTunes Match, I have to keep paying that $24.99 yearly fee?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Question on the yearly cost. They say it is $24.99 per year. So say I already did the iTunes Match for all my library in the first year and don't need it after that all since I will buy everything from iTunes from now on. Does that mean to keep my library the iTunes match uploaded in that first year, I have to keep paying the yearly fee or does it mean that if I wanted to upload more songs in the future with iTunes Match, I have to keep paying that $24.99 yearly fee?

You will have to continue to pay each year to maintain access to any song you upload (those not in iTunes) as well as those available in iTunes which you obtained elsewhere. Any song you got in iTunes will remain as part of the free service.

Tinmania

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You will have to continue to pay each year to maintain access to any song you upload (those not in iTunes) as well as those available in iTunes which you obtained elsewhere. Any song you got in iTunes will remain as part of the free service.
Not true... that is only if you still want access to them with the iTunes Match service. But before your year is up you can download all matched tracks and they will be:

1.) DRM free, like iTunes Plus. But just like iTunes Plus DRM-free tracks your Apple ID is embedded within the file in matched tracks downloaded from iCloud.

2.) Meta data added if it was missing.

3.) Encoded at 256kbs regardless of what your original format was.

Unmatched tracks, or tracks for which Apple does not have license to, are the only tracks actually "uploaded" as-is. They are then downloaded as-is. But you are not "losing" access to them if you unsubscribe to iTunes Match as you had them in the first place.

I have been beta testing iTunes Match since the day it was available.

There is something going on as error 4100 has returned after yesterdays iTunes Match wipe by Apple (part of the beta process). Usually 4100 means you need an update to iTunes but there is no update yet. It could be a server-side issue and they are on the verge of releasing it publicly. But this is cutting it VERY close to the end of October so I am beginning to question if they will make the end of October deadline. If they make it we should see an iTunes update to handle it.

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: iSRS

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Michael, good to know. Guess that means my first order of business is downloading all the songs I have yet to upgrade to iTunes plus to another Mac.

Tinmania

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Michael, good to know. Guess that means my first order of business is downloading all the songs I have yet to upgrade to iTunes plus to another Mac.
Well the nice thing about iTunes match is that it is essentially like getting all your tracks updated to iTunes plus for no extra charge. So if you were moving your non-iTunes plus tracks off of your iTunes computer because you didn't want them updated you don't have to worry about that. When you subscribe to iTunes match you can re-download those tracks and they will be in iTunes plus format (DRM free).

I just wish Apple would do something quick because I don't have access to iTunes match right now and I've grown used to it. :)

Michael

Last edited:

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Here's a question. When using it last week for the first time it went through the scanning stage and began the upload stage. I noticed it was uploading some songs that were available in the iTunes store. What criteria is it using to "match" the songs in my library. Out of my +/-2000 songs it uploaded +/-500. That is way too many as my collection is mostly mainstream stuff.

Tinmania

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question. When using it last week for the first time it went through the scanning stage and began the upload stage. I noticed it was uploading some songs that were available in the iTunes store. What criteria is it using to "match" the songs in my library. Out of my +/-2000 songs it uploaded +/-500. That is way too many as my collection is mostly mainstream stuff.
Were those songs purchased through iTunes store? If so I can't imagine why they were not matched instantly.

Regardless I am hoping the next update improves the matching ability. Match was supposed to be using the same wave pattern recognition engine that is in the iTunes add-on Tuneup. But I have trialed TuneUp and it matched all the song I was able to try with the trial version. Yet some of those songs were not matched by iTunes Match. So it can and should do better.

Again, hoping the next update nails it. (Well it had better; only a few days left in October.)

Michael

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Were those songs purchased through iTunes store? If so I can't imagine why they were not matched instantly.

Regardless I am hoping the next update improves the matching ability. Match was supposed to be using the same wave pattern recognition engine that is in the iTunes add-on Tuneup. But I have trialed TuneUp and it matched all the song I was able to try with the trial version. Yet some of those songs were not matched by iTunes Match. So it can and should do better.

Again, hoping the next update nails it. (Well it had better; only a few days left in October.)

Michael

No those weren't iTunes purchases (those were fine). They were 192k and good quality so I'm surprised that they weren't recognized. Match is down for me (error 4100) so hopefully they're working on the release for Monday.

Tinmania

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
No those weren't iTunes purchases (those were fine). They were 192k and good quality so I'm surprised that they weren't recognized. Match is down for me (error 4100) so hopefully they're working on the release for Monday.
Yes been down for me too since Thursday night. I had grown used to it too. I was hoping it would have been updated by yesterday but I guess it will be Monday hopefully with the public release of iTunes 10.7.1 and iTunes Match.

Michael

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes been down for me too since Thursday night. I had grown used to it too. I was hoping it would have been updated by yesterday but I guess it will be Monday hopefully with the public release of iTunes 10.7.1 and iTunes Match.

Michael

So it's still down for you, Michael. Hmm... really hope we get that "treat" today.

Heck, it's more of a trick, really. Here, Apple, PLEASE take my $25...

:)

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about itunes match. I heard that you still need to download files to your device. I have many many gigs of music, way too much to store all of it on my new 16 gig iphone4s. How much space do these downloads take up?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about itunes match. I heard that you still need to download files to your device. I have many many gigs of music, way too much to store all of it on my new 16 gig iphone4s. How much space do these downloads take up?

The songs will be what they are for a full download of a 256 kbps song.

Here is an example (4 minute song in iTunes+ format)

Remember, it isn't streaming, it is giving you the iTunes+ version.

Of course, if it is a song you upload that isn't in iTunes, you will get what ever format/size/quality that is.

EDIT: Looks like an average of about 2 MB per minute.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner