Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Default iCloud backup question

After my terrible experience with beta 1 iCloud syncing, I am going to go ahead and try beta 6. I did notice that when I enabled iCloud syncing, anytime I plug it into my laptop to sync, it shows it syncs. However when I check iTunes preferences and go to devices, the backup file never shows the backup that I just did. It only shows the most recent backup before I enabled iCloud syncing. Is that normal?

That's my biggest beef, it seems I can't sync to both.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

No one? Or was I being blocked by the useful members for my more aggressive comments? lol
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Either you sync to iTunes or you sync to iCloud. IIRC, you can't do both.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yea. You can sync to iTunes but not backup if you are using the iCloud to backup. It actually tells you that when you first enable cloud backup.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b6 using Tapatalk.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Damn well that sucks. Thanks.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Well it seems y'all were wrong, as was I. It doesn't automatically backup to iTunes if you have iCloud backup enabled. You have to click on the device in iTunes and back it up manually.
    iPhone Nanite

be careful and if you enable iCloud backup. There only a 5GB storage limit at first. If you have more than that on your phone your backups will fail and you will have nothing to fall back to.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    5b7

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBama11 View Post
    be careful and if you enable iCloud backup. There only a 5GB storage limit at first. If you have more than that on your phone your backups will fail and you will have nothing to fall back to.
    I have damn near 16GB on my phone (and about that on my iPad) and I still have more than 4GB of iCloud space left after backing both up. Your information is misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBama11 View Post
    Not QUITE true... No everything on your phone gets backed up to iCloud. It all depends on what is using up the memory.
    C H I R M E R
    Graphic designer, classical musician, Paleo eater, evolutionary runner & all-around Apple fangirl.
    2008 Macbook (white, 4GB RAM) [sold] >> iPod Touch (1st Gen, 8 GB) [sold]>> iPhone 4 (black, 16 GB) >> 2012 Macbook Pro w/Retina Display (2.3 GHz 16GB RAM)
    iPhone Newbie

Yeah I think you actually tell icloud what you wnat to back up as opposed to everything being backed up. Its going to be really time consuming to upload 12gb I am using on mine for the first time
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,446 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

How is the security issue with iCloud? Any chance of your info getting stolen? I have a 1TB external hard drive, and figured on using that when the upgrade comes out. Any thoughts?
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Well it seems y'all were wrong, as was I. It doesn't automatically backup to iTunes if you have iCloud backup enabled. You have to click on the device in iTunes and back it up manually.
    Ok let me get this straight because I am confused as hell. If you have it checked in itunes to back up in itunes instead of the cloud, when you sync to itunes, it will only backup to itunes. If you check the cloud it will back up to the cloud. What happens if you check backup to itunes in itunes, but the cloud on your phone, won't it do both? I am having alot of trouble actually getting my phone to backup for the first time in the cloud. It keeps lagging on 'estimating' time and stays there forever and then says failed. Could it be a storgage capacity thing? I would have thought it would say you need more storgage if so. I even purchased more storage and still no luck yet. Please help!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Question iCloud, iTunes or Wifi sync for first time?

We have wi fi in our house and with this being my first iPhone, I am confusing on how I should sync it the first time. I'm sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver my phone "on truck for delivery by end of day" and want to be ready when it gets here....

What is the best way to sync up the phone? I will be using google sync for my emails, calendar and contacts and I'm thinking that set up happens after I sync right?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you have a large itunes library, I would sync it with the USB cable to start out. After that, you can use wifi sync. To Sync yoru emails, contacts, etc, you can set up google sync from the get go.
    Twitter: @ReensMeza

2011 13" Macbook Pro, Apple TV 2, 32 GB Black iPhone 4S
    My name is Rene too.
    Thanked by:
    JsGrandma (10-14-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,026 Global Posts

I just upgraded my original iPad 64GB to iOS5 and was looking forward to experiencing iCloud backup.

Instead, I keep getting messages that the device was not backed up because of insufficient iCloud storage. I've still got the ("full") 5GB of stock iCloud storage. Well, guess what?! Apple doesn't even SELL a device with only 5GB or storage, so the chances that most users will be able to backup EVERYthing on their Apple devices is very slim - assuming they use them to capacity.

After reading some of the (admittedly, months old) comments in this thread, I'm concerned that choosing not to backup my "documents and data" via iCloud will result in an inability to back them up via iTunes on the pc.

And, by the way, when I attempt to toggle the "documents and data" button to "off," I get a message telling me that any documents and data that was already backed up to iCloud will be DELETED FROM THE DEVICE. Not good, imo. There's no option to change that, from what I can tell, other than to keep it toggled "on."

Since I've not successfully performed a single iCloud backup, I assume that this will not affect me, but in the future, if I DID decide to save docs and data to iCloud, changing my mind would force me to lose that data on (or unnecessarily need to redownload it to) my device.

That kinda seems counterproductive to the purpose of a cloud backup service.

What am I missing?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I just upgraded my original iPad 64GB to iOS5 and was looking forward to experiencing iCloud backup.

Instead, I keep getting messages that the device was not backed up because of insufficient iCloud storage. I've still got the ("full") 5GB of stock iCloud storage. Well, guess what?! Apple doesn't even SELL a device with only 5GB or storage, so the chances that most users will be able to backup EVERYthing on their Apple devices is very slim - assuming they use them to capacity.

After reading some of the (admittedly, months old) comments in this thread, I'm concerned that choosing not to backup my "documents and data" via iCloud will result in an inability to back them up via iTunes on the pc.

And, by the way, when I attempt to toggle the "documents and data" button to "off," I get a message telling me that any documents and data that was already backed up to iCloud will be DELETED FROM THE DEVICE. Not good, imo. There's no option to change that, from what I can tell, other than to keep it toggled "on."

Since I've not successfully performed a single iCloud backup, I assume that this will not affect me, but in the future, if I DID decide to save docs and data to iCloud, changing my mind would force me to lose that data on (or unnecessarily need to redownload it to) my device.

That kinda seems counterproductive to the purpose of a cloud backup service.

What am I missing?
    Turning the icloud backup feature off on the phone will not prevent a backup to the pc. Just switch it to backup through itunes on the pc and everything will be backed up on pc. This is much different and longer than a regular sync. Essentially, this performs the same action in itunes as before the upgrade to icloud. It syncs and backs up at the same time. Again, the downside to this is the info will be backed up to only your pc and not the cloud. If your comp crashes, etc. you would not be able to recover your phone's contents. Isn't most of the content on your phone picts and music anyway. You should take advantage of itunes match to take some of the music off your device. And with picts, maybe save them on your comp and only sync the ones you really want to look at. Can't comment on your apps, however.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,026 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    Turning the icloud backup feature off on the phone will not prevent a backup to the pc. Just switch it to backup through itunes on the pc and everything will be backed up on pc. This is much different and longer than a regular sync. Essentially, this performs the same action in itunes as before the upgrade to icloud. It syncs and backs up at the same time. Again, the downside to this is the info will be backed up to only your pc and not the cloud. If your comp crashes, etc. you would not be able to recover your phone's contents. Isn't most of the content on your phone picts and music anyway. You should take advantage of itunes match to take some of the music off your device. And with picts, maybe save them on your comp and only sync the ones you really want to look at. Can't comment on your apps, however.
    Thanks for the info, but I have an iPad, not an iPhone, and most of my content is not photos or music. Intact, since the upgrade, I have no music on my device.

I have enough docs and data, IMO, to exceed the 5GB cap, which is why I turned that option off, recently.

Sadly, I don't even see a place on the device to break down what the volume or percentage or docs or data might be, so they're really not helping here.

So now, I have to either pay for cloud backup to have enough online storage or continue to back up via the pc...or backup to both.

This isn't sounding like a post-pc era, to me.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I have an iPad, not an iPhone, and most of my content is not photos or music. Intact, since the upgrade, I have no music on my device.

I have enough docs and data, IMO, to exceed the 5GB cap, which is why I turned that option off, recently.

Sadly, I don't even see a place on the device to break down what the volume or percentage or docs or data might be, so they're really not helping here.

So now, I have to either pay for cloud backup to have enough online storage or continue to back up via the pc...or backup to both.

This isn't sounding like a post-pc era, to me.
    It is a post pc era that is expensive!!