MobileMe to iCloud Transition gives you 25GB for the first year

Winski

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
MobileMe to iCloud - MANY users left behind

To MANY, iCloud will mean NOTHING. That's because there are MILLIONS of MAC users, even ones that have reasonably current hardware (less than 2 years old) that CAN'T move to Lion... IF you can't move to LION, iCloud IS NOT AVAILABLE.... And after mid next year, those same users lose MobileMe and then they got NOTHING.....

Seems a bit of a Redmond move versus one from Cupertino...:confused:

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i don't quite understand why you think that people with 2 yr old hardware can't move to lion? it merely requires a 64bit processor, which to my recollection, is closer to 5 years old. (core 2 duo was released in 2006).

after some research: Every NEW apple mac in 2006 but 2, the "Mac Mini - Core Solo" and the early 2006 iMac had non-64 bit procs.. late 2006 models were 64 BIT procs... so its 5 years.

similarly, i think it becomes fair to stop supporting 5 year old hardware when it comes to the iPhone as well. apple is by far the only company that supports two or three gens back on their phones. i was using a CURRENT model Samsung Fascinate (galaxy s), and it took an extremely delayed schedule of upgrades to support hardware and accessories that were sold by verizon.

putting things into perspective, i think they are trying to advance the "bottom line" by requiring rather new processors. its a bold move, but they drew the line at 5 year old computers, not 2.

Last edited:

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
To MANY, iCloud will mean NOTHING. That's because there are MILLIONS of MAC users, even ones that have reasonably current hardware (less than 2 years old) that CAN'T move to Lion... IF you can't move to LION, iCloud IS NOT AVAILABLE.... And after mid next year, those same users lose MobileMe and then they got NOTHING.....

Seems a bit of a Redmond move versus one from Cupertino...:confused:

I'm on Lion and my MacBook is a late 2006 model so not sure where you are getting that from!

joekawasaki

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My MacBook Pro is from mid 2006 and is the last 32 bit model so it won't support Lion. Fortunately, I also have a MacMini that is newer and will support Lion. I will delay transitioning my MobileMe account to iCloud as long as I can.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77