Location Based Reminders

Jabberwocky

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've had discussions with a colleague at work regarding location based reminders. There is currently a case of beer riding on the outcome.

Lets take the following example as basis : Buy milk reminder when you are near a supermarket.

1). How does the phone know where you are ? Constant GPS etc would drain the battery, and didn't they had to remove the cell tower tracking info last month due to the flack they got ?

2). Does the supermarket need to be added as a Drop-pin manually ? Or are only "participating" supermarkets included ?

Again, may be too early for a definitive answer on this ? But any feedback would be appreciated.

Jabberwocky

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
P.S I sent this in for the Q&A Podcast a few weeks ago, but it didn't get included.:( So I'll be interested to your viewpoint on this Rene, or even adding it to the next iPhone live ?:)

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I tested this out the other day. I needed to do something as soon as I got home so I set up a location based reminder for when I arrived. I set it early that morning knowing I wouldn't get home till that evening. The battery drain remained did not increase. So, I don't think it does a constant polling of your location but possibly a refresh every x mins.

Also, you can choose an address for location based reminders, but they have to be in your contacts.

dcgore

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really like how all these location services are working as of now, my battery life has taken a big hit. From the local weather to pics, to reminders, the gps thingy is always on.

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Possibly late to this forum but I believe it uses cell towers to work.

A cell tower gives off a GPS reading of where it is and this is accurate to 0.5 to 1km. I think when you get within this distance then it checks more accurately.

I could be wrong but I'm sure this is how it works.

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Ps. Reminders doesn't leave your GPS on. Check the location settings as you'll find its the clock using location to determine your time zone. You can turn this off!

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't really like how all these location services are working as of now, my battery life has taken a big hit. From the local weather to pics, to reminders, the gps thingy is always on.

Reminders doesn't leave your GPS on. Check the location settings as you'll find its the clock using location to determine your time zone. You can turn this off!

Dazzx

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
After testing the reminders app I'm pretty sure its not using GPS , the accuracy isn't good enough for it to be using GPS , as for battery life it definitely had an negative effect.

---
- @dazzx - Twitter
Darren Thompson -G+

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don' really care about these types of reminders so I didn't really pay attention. Does it have any sort of timeframe included? then when it gets close to that time the GPS would activate and determine your position refreshing ever so often. I'll try it out on my iPad later.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2