iCloud and Photostream questions

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okay, I realize there is a lot that is still unknown about many of the iCloud features, so there may not be any definitive answer for the question I have.

From what I understand, I will be able to use my iTunes ID for app purchases, while using my .me account for things like Photostream/mail/calendar. That means my wife could use the same iTunes account but still have her own email/calendar,etc.

Anyone know which one will be used for OTA updates and/or backups of the device? I assume the iTunes account will be used for downloading iCloud songs/purchases.

Also, regarding Photostream, I would love a way to "sync" photos between my computer and my wifes computer (so we have the same photos) but at the same time, I don't want every little picture she takes with her iPhone to appear on my iPhone. Plus, if we have different .me addresses, I don't know if we will even be able to use the same photostream. Anyone know if you can choose to share a photostream and/or select picture to include/exclude in the photostream?

Chris

skaramanga

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I am still a bit unclear about all of the details regarding photostream, Steve said it will sync to Windows PC's as well as Macs, wonder how that will work.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I realize there is a lot that is still unknown about many of the iCloud features, so there may not be any definitive answer for the question I have.

From what I understand, I will be able to use my iTunes ID for app purchases, while using my .me account for things like Photostream/mail/calendar. That means my wife could use the same iTunes account but still have her own email/calendar,etc.

Anyone know which one will be used for OTA updates and/or backups of the device? I assume the iTunes account will be used for downloading iCloud songs/purchases.

Also, regarding Photostream, I would love a way to "sync" photos between my computer and my wifes computer (so we have the same photos) but at the same time, I don't want every little picture she takes with her iPhone to appear on my iPhone. Plus, if we have different .me addresses, I don't know if we will even be able to use the same photostream. Anyone know if you can choose to share a photostream and/or select picture to include/exclude in the photostream?

Chris

I am in no way an expert here but the OTA updates and backups will most likely use your iTunes ID since that is what you login to the store with now to get updates.

Photostream as far as I understand it you have no control over what goes to photostream it's either turned on or it's turned off. You can however choose to add things to photostream from albums you already have. I'm a little fuzzy on how whether you create a folder or you just copy the pictures to the camera roll. I beleive that as soon as a picture is taken and is in the camera roll if photostream is on it will show up on your device. If you have a Mac you could turn off photostream on your phone and just view it on the Mac then sync it to your phone. You could also just leave photostream off and then whenever there is a picture you want to share put it into a album but then I don't know if once photostream is turned on it will begin downloading everything and not just the one picture. If you're on iOS 5 and you turn off Photostream after having it on, it warns you that everything will be deleted. So it seems like an all or nothing kind of thing.

It seems to me like it's going to end up making a big mess of things. If for instance you take a picture and create an album on the phone and put the picture there. It doesn't move the picture but instead creates an alias. So the picture resides both in the album and in the camera roll. If you delete it from the camera roll poof it's gone from the album too. I don't understand why they didn't make a stationary Photostream album or have the camera roll be the photostream album and all you have to do if you don't want pictures to go on photostream is move the pictures to a new or already existing album.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not sure about all the iCloud details even though I've been using both beta iOS 5's up until last night. But some questions dont apply to me and/or my devices so I wouldnt have thought of them.

But I agree good questions, I think we will be getting answers from Steve and Apple pretty soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods