Yikes, I don't like iCloud, not one bit....

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok so sorry for sounding stupid- I just don't have it installed yet so I don't know- when you say don't set up an iCloud account there- where is there? on his touch or via iTunes when we sync? thanks again- really appreciate your input

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
ok so sorry for sounding stupid- I just don't have it installed yet so I don't know- when you say don't set up an iCloud account there- where is there? on his touch or via iTunes when we sync? thanks again- really appreciate your input

You will be be able to create an iCloud account and set it up on the phone - sort of like an email address and/or iTunes account. You can add it or not... my understanding is that if you don't, no iCloud stuff will apply and everything will have to be done through iTunes. That could change once everything is rolled out, but that's how I see it from here/now.

Reactions: phreddyl

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
and one more question- what if I choose not to update his IOS and leave him at the older version- He then wouldn't have an iCloud option right? that might be the easier answer- None of the new features mean anything to him

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
and one more question- what if I choose not to update his IOS and leave him at the older version- He then wouldn't have an iCloud option right? that might be the easier answer- None of the new features mean anything to him

That is a true fact. iTunes will tell you there's a software update available, and it will suggest that you update the device, but it will never force the issue.

Reactions: phreddyl

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok thank you very much for taking the time to explain- I def want it for my phone and iPad! Seems pretty cool!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
lol- good I may just have to come back here... Wanted to try the beta but chickened out sigh... Only a few more days!

sep2006

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It'll only show downloaded apps on other devices if you sign in with the same account on the other device

All iMessage messages will show on every device you are signed into

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It'll only show downloaded apps on other devices if you sign in with the same account on the other device

All iMessage messages will show on every device you are signed into

Not really sure what u mean by that. Sign in with what account iTunes or icloud?

kfreemanii

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
icloud is a cool creation, but if there are security flaws that do expose a little too much. i believe that apple will update there systems with more blocking features and privacy settings
:cool:

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I am concerned a but as well. Let's say that I happen to take a risqu? picture with my iPhone (dont even tell me that you have never done this!) and at the same time my kid is playing with our iPad, well, I guess I'll sign my kid up for counseling for the rest of her life.

Farmdreads

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
And how does it work if I have an iPhone and my wife has an iPhone and we share a family iPad and iMac? Do all apps, photos, and music get automatically synced to all devices?

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
And how does it work if I have an iPhone and my wife has an iPhone and we share a family iPad and iMac? Do all apps, photos, and music get automatically synced to all devices?

You would have to sync all devices with one iCloud ID to have the exact same apps, music, settings, etc sync to all devices the same. Your wife and yourself should both create separate iCloud ID's, you will have 10GB between the two of you. You may just need to pick whose iCloud account will run on the iPad and Mac.

As far as iCloud being something you're frustrated with at this point, I'd wait until it launches to say whether you hate it or not. It's still being tested and the beta technically hasn't ended yet. If you sync to iCloud now, the day it launches Apple will likely wipe all iCloud storage and start fresh, again.

It's a very neat feature. The minute you download a new app, it syncs to your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. As far as syncing music, you have to purchase the music from iTunes for it to sync to all devices, or you have to be an iTunes Match subscriber to have all of your music. Either way, this feature will grow on everybody. It's difficult to understand completely at first, but you will.

Also, in the long run, almost everyone with an iOS device will end up using iCloud. It's great to not have to constantly have your charging/syncing cable free just to sync new apps and music, also wireless syncing is a wonderful thing. I assume at some point, possibly with the iPhone 5, Apple may use wireless charging methods as well.

Last edited:

f1l4

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused :)

Me and my wife have separate accounts, but both phones and ipad are authorized on same computer and same iTunes, so we can share apps and it works fine. Can we have separate iCloud accounts but still share everything via computer with iTunes?

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused :)

Me and my wife have separate accounts, but both phones and ipad are authorized on same computer and same iTunes, so we can share apps and it works fine. Can we have separate iCloud accounts but still share everything via computer with iTunes?

Yes, absolutely. iCloud doesn't change the iTunes process, just adds features.

Reactions: f1l4

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am really just so confued by all this.

i have an iphone, as well as my son. my daughter has an ipod touch. we all share on itunes account. if we all download the ios5 software, every think will synce between our devices? so, If I take a pic or add something to my calendar, it will show up on my sons iphone as well?? is there a way to stop that?

should I create a new itunes account for him before we download ios5? and how do you do that exactly? just go into itunes, sign out of main account, creat new one and then plug his phone in??

and some of you mentioned history? what do you mean? will my kids be able to see my browser history??

thanks..

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
You can all enter the SAME account for iTunes on all devices. That will allow you to share the music/apps/video purchases.

When you set up iCloud, it creates an iCloud account which is SEPARATE from your iTunes/store account. Just simply use a different iCloud account on each device.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Right, each device (owned by separate people) should have iCloud accounts. iTunes accounts can be shared all day without giving out personal information or allowing someone to see photos, texts, or anything else from another person's iCloud account.

Everyone should get used to this more once you all create an iCloud account for your device(s)and play with iCloud a bit. There's really no reason to hold off installing iOS 5 unless you just want to wait for public release.