Yikes, I don't like iCloud, not one bit....

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
First, the new "feature" of having all paid apps show up on all my iDevices is a little intrusive. What if I purchased an app/book/something that I don't want my family to see or download. Maybe a sex type app, and I don't want the kids to download it. I can think of a few instances that this would become a problem.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to edit this list in any way. It is just a dump of all downloads on a given account, to all devices.

I think there will be similar issues with photos as well.

Where is the privacy?

I'll tell you where, in your pocketbook.

This is going to be Apple's way of forcing families to have multiple itunes accounts. No more buying Angry Birds once, and synching it to all other family members. Songs? No way, buy them for all accounts... Books? Same thing.

I am very excited about some of the features, but am worried about a lot more.

Last edited:

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
First, the new "feature" of having all paid apps show up on all my iDevices is a little intrusive. What if I purchased an app/book/something that I don't want my family to see or download. Maybe a sex type app, and I don't want the kids to download it. I can think of a few instances that this would become a problem.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to edit this list in any way. It is just a dump of all downloads on a given account, to all devices.

Where is the privacy?

This is going to be Apple's way of forcing families to have multiple itunes accounts. No more buying Angry Birds once, and synching it to all other family members. Songs? No way, buy them for all accounts... Books? Same thing.

I think you have to have the same icloud account in order for this to happen. For example, I have an iPad and an iPhone and my wife has an iphone too. I would have my own icloud account and she would have hers. If I buy an app then it would get pushed to my ipad and iphone, but not hers.

I also would think there could be settings that deal with this - for example, in iTunes there is a setting that allows me to set whether any new app would automatically get synced onto my ipad and I can change that.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
As long as it's truly a pay service and it doesn't start syncing my stuff from day one without my permission then I don't care one bit. It's a great concept, but I don't plan on using it.

LooNTooNs

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am concerned about some of the same things. I'm not trippin yet. IMessage got me thinking about that. My iPad is at home will my kids playing on it be able to see all my imessages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Where is the privacy?

You have the option to disable automatic downloads on any or your devices.

Reactions: dalspartan#IM

saberahul

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish you could also change settings for the purchased tab under the app store. I hate how you can only organize by most recent and name. Categories would be nice.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
As long as it's truly a pay service and it doesn't start syncing my stuff from day one without my permission then I don't care one bit. It's a great concept, but I don't plan on using it.

But part of it is already here, without an opt-in. Go to the App Store on your iDevice, you will now see the entire app history of all downloaded apps from all devices using your account. If you are like me, you only have one account per household.

Your app history is now available to everyone.

This gives us a glimpse as to where Apple is heading. I can only assume with iOS 5 that this will be an even bigger issue.

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
It is getting a bit concerning with all this clud storage and control they have over ones own device...they better allow to turn off auto updates of apps and stuff

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
They allow you to turn off auto update and auto download, currently in the Store settings of your Settings app on your iDevice.

A work around for the purchased hiding, is to log out of your account to hide it, unless the person knows your password. (To log out: Settings > Store > Apple ID > Sign Out)

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But part of it is already here, without an opt-in. Go to the App Store on your iDevice, you will now see the entire app history of all downloaded apps from all devices using your account. If you are like me, you only have one account per household.

Your app history is now available to everyone.

This gives us a glimpse as to where Apple is heading. I can only assume with iOS 5 that this will be an even bigger issue.

You have one account for your whole household and you are complaining that everyone on that one account can see that account?

I'm sorry, but that sounds like me complaining that if I give my wife my email account information then she can see my email.

If you have just one account for your family then how would you expect Apple to differentiate?

I just don't really see how this is a real privacy issue - now if they exposed your apps or info to people outside of your account then I would agree.

Reactions: OTACORB

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You have one account for your whole household and you are complaining that everyone on that one account can see that account?

I'm sorry, but that sounds like me complaining that if I give my wife my email account information then she can see my email.

If you have just one account for your family then how would you expect Apple to differentiate?

I just don't really see how this is a real privacy issue - now if they exposed your apps or info to people outside of your account then I would agree.

Excellent Point!

graysonip

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I must agree. I had the same concerns in respect of photo sync. If I take a picture of something on my phone that I might be planning to buy my child as a surprise, it's automatically downloaded to her iPhone because we share an account.

Also, to the person who asked why one would share an account, I do it because my child has had different Apple devices since she was quite small. And, she's still relatively young. It wouldn't be appropriate, to my mind, to give a small child their own account, so instead we have one for our family. That may not be your situation, but there is good reason for a family aco**** in others' households.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Ya'll seem to have a lot of this confused. The appleid you use for apps, books, and music is seperate from what will be created for you @me.com labels. Photos from xx@me.com won't be synced to xy@me.com because they're different identities for backups, mail, calendars etc. You can still share your appleid, with others and not have to pay for mutltiple apps. Yes the history does show, but it would show anyway if you OPENLY SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT. So, basically, your appleid you've purchased things with will still share apps/mus/books....you'll all now have sub @me.com accounts specific to device and user that will sync photos, mail, cal, backups, etc....and wont be shared with others even though you share an appleid.....

Last edited:
Reactions: spades1412

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I must agree. I had the same concerns in respect of photo sync. If I take a picture of something on my phone that I might be planning to buy my child as a surprise, it's automatically downloaded to her iPhone because we share an account.

Also, to the person who asked why one would share an account, I do it because my child has had different Apple devices since she was quite small. And, she's still relatively young. It wouldn't be appropriate, to my mind, to give a small child their own account, so instead we have one for our family. That may not be your situation, but there is good reason for a family aco**** in others' households.

You're right, it's not that there isn't any reason at all to have a shared account, I simply don't see the complaint of it being a privacy problem that Apple has somehow been negligent in addressing - or even a major privacy issue.

I would hope you can do something like disable the automatic upload of images, for example, that would work with that example you gave.

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Ya'll seem to have a lot of this confused. The appleid you use for apps, books, and music is seperate from what will be created for you @me.com labels. Photos from xx@me.com won't be synced to xy@me.com because they're different identities for backups, mail, calendars etc. You can still share your appleid, with others and not have to pay for mutltiple apps. Yes the history does show, but it would show anyway if you OPENLY SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT. So, basically, your appleid you've purchased things with will still share apps/mus/books....you'll all now have sub @me.com accounts specific to device and user that will sync photos, mail, cal, backups, etc....and wont be shared with others even though you share an appleid.....

I really hope this is the way it works. I dont use mobleme, but I've heard this is the way it works now for families that share one apple id for apps, music, and book purchases. Each user gets a separate @me.com ID.

It would only make sense that all purchased content would show up on each device using the same apple id. With apps, music, and books you get the cloud icon for previously purchased content and the ability to re-download it. The content will not automatically download to the device unless the option to do so is checked in settings.

In my case all that is fine. My wife, son, and I all share an apple id for purchases. Do you have a source for the xx@me.com info you stated? Is this info posted to the apple site anywhere? I would love for this to be the case when icloud ships for everyone. I would love the ability to use a separate id to keep my backups, contacts, calendar, photos and email in sync on my iphone, ipad, and mac and also separate from my wife and sons devices.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Everyone in your house should have their own account, it's free after all. Why would you just use one? I guess it makes sense if you want to cheat developers and share apps, but really at 99 cents each for most apps do you need to do that? People work really hard to make that 99 cents from you and you are effectively stealing from them by allowing someone else to use the same application for free. If you're using one account to share content, you deserve to be inconvenienced and I highly doubt Apple is ever going to change their policies or the functionality of their devices to accommodate you.

Nothing personal, just giving a little reality check on this subject.

@touchyphone
I am using iOS 5 Beta 1, and it is clearly not allowing me to change the account that I use for iCloud without changing the account that I use for the iTunes store. So, I think you are wrong here, but this might be changed in the future, because you need an @me account for certain iCloud features but many people already have Apple IDs with purchase information that they need.

Last edited:

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
In my case all that is fine. My wife, son, and I all share an apple id for purchases. Do you have a source for the xx@me.com info you stated? Is this info posted to the apple site anywhere? I would love for this to be the case when icloud ships for everyone. I would love the ability to use a separate id to keep my backups, contacts, calendar, photos and email in sync on my iphone, ipad, and mac and also separate from my wife and sons devices.

My info comes from all the apple updated documents they've sent out about this, nothing more. Just tried lots of reading and trying to comprehend it all...

@touchyphone
I am using iOS 5 Beta 1, and it is clearly not allowing me to change the account that I use for iCloud without changing the account that I use for the iTunes store. So, I think you are wrong here, but this might be changed in the future, because you need an @me account for certain iCloud features but many people already have Apple IDs with purchase information that they need.

I honestly am just going by what I stated above my info comes from all the apple updated documents they've sent out about this, nothing more. Just tried lots of reading and trying to comprehend it all... I too am on bet 1 os5, but everything for me is simple as I am just one user on one account. I'm mostly trying to read everything out there and understand it all. :)

Reactions: spades1412

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Yes the history does show, but it would show anyway if you OPENLY SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT.

App history was never shared, if the iDevices (using the same Apple ID) were synched to different machines. The closest thing you could get was if you installed the same app on a second device, it would tell you that you had previously purchased/downloaded the app.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Everyone in your house should have their own account, it's free after all. Why would you just use one? I guess it makes sense if you want to cheat developers and share apps, but really at 99 cents each for most apps do you need to do that? People work really hard to make that 99 cents from you and you are effectively stealing from them by allowing someone else to use the same application for free. If you're using one account to share content, you deserve to be inconvenienced and I highly doubt Apple is ever going to change their policies or the functionality of their devices to accommodate you.

Please, I bought all the iDevices in my household. They are mine, and I can install an app on, what, 5 devices? This is part of the terms that the developer signed with Apple, not me. Go cry to Apple, not me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro