Anyone recommend MobileMe for the iPad?

camperdown9

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi

If you have more than one Apple device then MobileMe is worth it. I don't use it fully but its great to have my iCal on my macbook, iMac, iPhone & iPad all sync'd with each other. Also bookmarks and contacts.

MobileMe is one of those products that you need to use before you really understand what it can do. Also when I first used it with a windows laptop and my iPhone and it was not get. Once I changed to a Mac its totally different and so much better.

However just wait until after WWDC to see if it does become free.

Alex

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hi

If you have more than one Apple device then MobileMe is worth it. I don't use it fully but its great to have my iCal on my macbook, iMac, iPhone & iPad all sync'd with each other. Also bookmarks and contacts.

MobileMe is one of those products that you need to use before you really understand what it can do. Also when I first used it with a windows laptop and my iPhone and it was not get. Once I changed to a Mac its totally different and so much better.

However just wait until after WWDC to see if it does become free.

Alex

Totally agree, if you are surrounded with Apple devices, it is a no brainer.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I will wait for after wwdc and see if it becomes free
In the meantime, and if you use multiple devices, look at Evernote and Dropbox. For limited use, both are free. Both will probably justify their price in a week or two.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I dont see what you mean. I have all my Safari bookmarks, gmail, and iCal all synced to all my devices and don't have MobileMe. What is the difference that MobileMe does that iTunes syncing wont do?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I dont see what you mean. I have all my Safari bookmarks, gmail, and iCal all synced to all my devices and don't have MobileMe. What is the difference that MobileMe does that iTunes syncing wont do?

The idea is AVOIDING iTunes at all costs. Ha.

Gmail sync doesn't really work for everyone and it's not as reliable as MobileMe (sounds funny to say reliable and MobileMe in the same sentence, but it's true).

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't recommend any cloud aggregator

I am a BIG fan of not using the proprietary itunes malware as well.

Your information is your own. Keep it that way.

Don't pay someone to keep your information. They now have it and there are only ethics between it and them. Sadly ethics are different in different parts of the world and your data is accessible to any part of the world that has internet access.

I created a virtual machine (VMWare using a free VM player). I corrupted it with itunes and can turn off that machine on a whim and it cannot adversely affect the real computer that it is being played upon. There is a post at the apple discussion board - look for keyword sequestered. I can't post the URL here yet - this board tells me I cant yet.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Your information is your own. Keep it that way.

Don't pay someone to keep your information. They now have it and there are only ethics between it and them. Sadly ethics are different in different parts of the world and your data is accessible to any part of the world that has internet access.
I tend to agree. However, I now have five computers. I also acess them from yet other computers. It is nice to have store that is common across them.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am a BIG fan of not using the proprietary itunes malware as well.

I corrupted it with itunes and can turn off that machine on a whim and it cannot adversely affect the real computer that it is being played upon. There is a post at the apple discussion board - look for keyword sequestered. I can't post the URL here yet - this board tells me I cant yet.

iTunes malware? Corrupted it with iTunes?

Seriously, if you hate Apple so much, what are you really doing here?

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I need to speak in simplier terrms I guess...

iTunes malware? Corrupted it with iTunes?

Seriously, if you hate Apple so much, what are you really doing here?
WOW - evidently i am stating things is a way that is being misinterpreted by you a lot!

Maybe I need to use simpler terms.

At no time did I represent a dislike for Apple.

The mere fact that without an option nor asking itunes alters the way I browse the web just by installing an application and cannot be changed without removal of the application expressly reflects that it is malware.

The fact that it starts applications or causes applications to start when I go to certain websites reflects that it is a security threat.

The fact that it cannot be completely removed after installation can be merely attributed ti a simple oversight.

That it is proprietary is obviated by the mere fact that there are no documents from which another can implement a functional equivalent. Nor that one can effectively interface with it (outside Apple)

This doesn't mean I dislike Apple - i just dislike itunes.

I own a few Apple products. And want them to be good soon. I write software for Apple products and want to be able to have it be better - if Apple would let me. I have stock in Apple and like that it is good now.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
How does iTunes alter the way you browse? It did not alter my browsing experience what so ever.

There are many applications that open when you visit a web page, the browser should ask you if you want to open iTunes, as any browser I've ever used does.

It can't be completely removed? I've completely removed it several times.

There are alternative programs for iTunes, even programs that sync to iPhone last time I checked.

iTunes is not Malware.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Having access to the internals of Windows and also watcing what itunes does

When itunes installs it installs applications and alters your browser settings.
When you try to tell it to undo it it won't

When you undo this it "corrects you" and re-does it.

If an application starts because I browse to a website then it is a security hole. it needs to be plugged. Since there is no way of plugging this security hole aside from removal - then that is how it is plugged.

At NO TIME HAVE I EVER HAD AN APPLICATION START AD-HOC BECAUSE OF BROWSING A WEBSITE EXCEPT ADware and malware. Both are considered malware. if this happens a lot on your computer then you are lucky that you don't get data loss or other problems. Applications should start when I start them not at the whim of a website.

Another company created a product that they said was doing things the "right way". They installed a rootkit (lookup freeagent rootkit).

After I uninstalled ituned my browser complains and sometimes needs to restart if I go to the websites that caused itunes to start ad-hoc.

I reinstalled the browser. It didn't fix it.

I am not an expert but i call this bad.

If there were alternatives for itunes then why must one have it to sync all the apps, upgrade the OS and apps, and register the iPad?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
When itunes installs it installs applications and alters your browser settings.
When you try to tell it to undo it it won't

When you undo this it "corrects you" and re-does it.

If an application starts because I browse to a website then it is a security hole. it needs to be plugged. Since there is no way of plugging this security hole aside from removal - then that is how it is plugged.

At NO TIME HAVE I EVER HAD AN APPLICATION START AD-HOC BECAUSE OF BROWSING A WEBSITE EXCEPT ADware and malware. Both are considered malware. if this happens a lot on your computer then you are lucky that you don't get data loss or other problems. Applications should start when I start them not at the whim of a website.

Another company created a product that they said was doing things the "right way". They installed a rootkit (lookup freeagent rootkit).

After I uninstalled ituned my browser complains and sometimes needs to restart if I go to the websites that caused itunes to start ad-hoc.

I reinstalled the browser. It didn't fix it.

I am not an expert but i call this bad.

If there were alternatives for itunes then why must one have it to sync all the apps, upgrade the OS and apps, and register the iPad?

You clearly didn't read what I said, but ok, not really the place to continue this off-topic argument.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Getting back on track...

MobileMe is great for all the reasons mentioned above. What isn't great about it is the e-mail (for me). It's slow, many messages never arrived, etc. I love having it to sync calendars, contacts and favorites across my Mac hardware, but stick with Gmail for mail.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
MobileMe has worked great for me. I'm hoping that the rumor is true that it will be free-of-charge sometime soon. I'd like to pocket that payola and use it for... the next iPhone! :D