GMail or MobileMe?

brewers80

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Yo is it really that much better than gmail cause i am in limbo between going with either gmail/google or mobile me. I am a heavy email user I have been using gmail since it first showed up on the net.

If you don't want the option for Find My iPhone or Remote Lock...then I would say Google would work just fine and you save $$$.

BDV1973

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I love Gmail...Have never tried MobileMe but I have 4 different emails coming into my gmail account and I have over 150 filters and 22 lables that I use to organize all of my emails and who they come from. Once I synced my iPhone with Gmail the phone now has all my labels and emails organized just like I set them up in Gmail. I no longer have 5 seperate email accounts coming into my phone. Just Gmail with all of my labels. Not sure what else MobileMe can do but for now Gmail is all I need to keep my life organized.

kingminus

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
If you don't want the option for Find My iPhone or Remote Lock...then I would say Google would work just fine and you save $$$.

Ok cool thanks man yeah i set up everything for Google to work and its working out great! just wish that when you restore your contacts back from Google that the pics come back to the iphone in the right size not the lil square pic in the top right hand corner. O well beats paying $99 just for that one flaw. thanks man much appreciated!!

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
well mine works both ways; i dont know about how you set things up, but if i add a pic on the iPhone, it automatically updates the server too, and the same if i add them in the html app it updates the device. about the pic: the problem is that the html app only lets you put in certain size of the pic. so when it come out on the phone is really small. thats y it comes out at the top; but if you add it in the phone the iphone will let you put a higher def pic so when somebody calls you call see pic in full screen.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have had MoblieMe now for almost 15 months. I can say that Google Sync with push e-mail does the same thing MobileMe did and for free. I like the labels and the GUI of Gmail much more then MoblieMe. MobileMe is also terribly slow when you are using the website for mail especially compared to Yahoo mail and Gmail. I will not be renewing MobileMe.

vbhoj74

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I love gmail, have been using gmail apps since it was out. It has addressed one of the main things it was missing, "push mails", next best would be the idisk, but i'm not complaining. lol.

kingminus

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
well mine works both ways; i dont know about how you set things up, but if i add a pic on the iPhone, it automatically updates the server too, and the same if i add them in the html app it updates the device. about the pic: the problem is that the html app only lets you put in certain size of the pic. so when it come out on the phone is really small. thats y it comes out at the top; but if you add it in the phone the iphone will let you put a higher def pic so when somebody calls you call see pic in full screen.

I usually add the pic to the contacts from the Iphone this way when rgw contact calls it comes up full screen. Yes it does update the contacts pic rightaway in google but when I restore my contacts back into the iPhone from google the pics come back small and not full screen like before. Now when I sync it to outlook the pics come back full screen. So i don't know if it's something with google or what. Either way it's all good. I mean if I was paying for it then I be like WTF but since I'm not then I'm not really stressing it cause the service overall is great. Plus I use google voice so my contacts are always up to date.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
yeah google resize the pics to keep the files size small in order for better faster sync with your device. this is great right? i never got so much for free. i feel special, now i know what a hot chik in a club full of single man feels like. lol

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I have the exact opposite experience. I used SyncInABlink for contacts and regular gmail for mail. It worked perfect and it even stored google groups as iPhone contact groups on the phone (google sync does Not do this).

Once I decided to try out Google sync, I lost contacts, many duplicates were created, and no groups were synced. Same happened with MobileMe. I won't be renewing it due to it's hefty price tag.

Once my MobileMe expires I'll be doing what I do now: SyncInABlink for contacts and GPush for gmail. It's way cheaper.

kingminus

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the exact opposite experience. I used SyncInABlink for contacts and regular gmail for mail. It worked perfect and it even stored google groups as iPhone contact groups on the phone (google sync does Not do this).

Once I decided to try out Google sync, I lost contacts, many duplicates were created, and no groups were synced. Same happened with MobileMe. I won't be renewing it due to it's hefty price tag.

Once my MobileMe expires I'll be doing what I do now: SyncInABlink for contacts and GPush for gmail. It's way cheaper.

This is exactly what I am doing right now as well. Good to see some one else using the same method.

pvdnh

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I LOVE the concept of MobileME, but the $99 price tag is quite steep for something that gmail does for free! Right now, I only have one email account set up on my iPhone and no work email/calendar account to worry about, if I had more than one, MobileME would be a good investment

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I think for the 'find your iphone' feature that Mobile ME offers, it's worth it.

Plus with Google Sync, there are many issues at present. I use ME, and forward my GMail to it, and use GMail's SMTP to reply...

I LOVE the concept of MobileME, but the $99 price tag is quite steep for something that gmail does for free! Right now, I only have one email account set up on my iPhone and no work email/calendar account to worry about, if I had more than one, MobileME would be a good investment

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't know. I like the concept, but I do think the pricetag is high, even if you get the find/nuke your iphone option. It does seem to sync calendar items better than GMail sync does. (I've always had issues with GMail Sync. The timezone stuff must play havoc because my appointments are always off by a few hours (and that's particularly annoying on the "all day" events).) I guess we'll see. I just started my trial last week.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...apparently you can get a cheaper version of Mobile ME on Amazon and eBay. Just becareful with family packs...

I don't know. I like the concept, but I do think the pricetag is high, even if you get the find/nuke your iphone option. It does seem to sync calendar items better than GMail sync does. (I've always had issues with GMail Sync. The timezone stuff must play havoc because my appointments are always off by a few hours (and that's particularly annoying on the "all day" events).) I guess we'll see. I just started my trial last week.

pvdnh

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I tried the trial version, but even with the find my phone and the ability to lock it remotely, the price tag is quite high for a college student.. Maybe some day/ if the price is dropped

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
...apparently you can get a cheaper version of Mobile ME on Amazon and eBay. Just becareful with family packs...

I saw some of those on there. Appears to be different versions and such (not only family packs, but "old" versions as well?) I don't know. Push isn't working for me this evening. That would be a compelling factor in the decision if it worked somewhat reliably. But it isn't at the moment (and last week, I thought setting it up after setting up Google Sync caused the push not to work, so I deleted all my accounts and re-added them, and it worked for a while). Kind of bummed.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Weird, because earlier this week, I had half Mobile ME (Find and Browser favourites) and Google Sycn installed. Seems to cause a few issues...

Yesterday, I reverted to JUST Mobile ME. But, not all my emails were being PUSH instantly like it use to. I removed everything, i.e. all accounts, and then re-added my Mobile ME. Thus far, all is well...

I saw some of those on there. Appears to be different versions and such (not only family packs, but "old" versions as well?) I don't know. Push isn't working for me this evening. That would be a compelling factor in the decision if it worked somewhat reliably. But it isn't at the moment (and last week, I thought setting it up after setting up Google Sync caused the push not to work, so I deleted all my accounts and re-added them, and it worked for a while). Kind of bummed.

lewisholland

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
ill be honest i paid for mobileme because i wanted a good email address and with google having a ridiculous amount of users so i could not have the username i wanted where as mobile me i could

since then i have used it for about a year and now i don't think i could move to another email address i love mobile me :D

i have all my mac's synced more than worth the price tag :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods