MobileMe vs Google Sync

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
ok, having peaked my interest, MobileMe sounds great. but it costs $99 a year. Google Sync claims to 'push' content to your Contacts & Calendar instantly...and for free!

MobileMe does offer other great services like Find My Phone and iDisk (maybe?), but is it worth $99?? anyone who utilized MobileMe in lieu of an Enterprise server...what are your likes, dislikes? is it worth $99 to those of us who don't rely on their iPhone/email for business? or should we just settle with what Google feeds us for free?

sorry for all the questions, but i'm seriously considering MobileMe for all of it's options. especially since photos & videos are only sync'd when you connect to iTunes on your desktop. MobileMe is instant.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
MobileMe will also push email. I'm considering trying MobileMe when I get my iPhone ( 32 days and 9 hrs...not that I'm counting right? )

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I use Exchange for work, so my ActiveSync slot is already taken. Additionally, as a Mac user, MobileMe gives multiple-Mac sync, back-to-my-Mac remote desktop, and more value add as well.

arcurlyq

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I am using GoogleSync and love it. I went from a blackberry to iphone recently and was able to upload all my contacts via my BB and then transfer with ease to my iPhone. Couldn't have gone smoother! Also, I find that the syncing is very seamless between my iPhone and Google calendar. Also, I use Novell at work and forward all appointments automatically to my Google email address. Once there, I can easily add those appointments to my Google calendar, which then syncs with my iPhone. I gave MobileMe a trial, but really didn't see what benefit it added. It's quite expensive and doesn't do anything that you can't do for free or at a very limited cost over Google.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Googlesync went perfectly for me coming from my Storm. The easiest thing possible. I have mobileme because it was a 30 buck discount when I got my phone, and the iDisk and find my phone feature are way too good to pass up. As well as remote erase from the desktop if it gets stolen.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I really like MobileMe, push everything (email, calendar, contacts) all over the air and it works great with Outlook on my PC using the MobileMe installed user control panel.

Any changes (contacts, calendars, email) I do on either me.com or outlook show up on my iPhone in about 1-2 seconds literally and vice versa.

The nice photo gallery and iDisk is a nice bonus among some other items (Find My Phone) etc.

MobileMe can be had for less than $99, shop around.

Last edited:

pgapro

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I am a nanite again!!!

Anyway I have been using MobileMe for 6 months now & Coming from the storm & using Google. $99 still is not a bad price.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I love MobileMe. I love the fact that can sync everything without having to sync everything if you know what I mean. I can be anywhere without my laptop and sync cable and add an event, phone number, pic, or video and it's there right on my computer. Yeah, there are other sync programs out there, but no one can sync pics, calenders, videos, etc... using just 1 service.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Obviously you don't have a Mac...

And to the OP - if you have a Mac, it's completely worth it. If you don't then I may look at other options available to you.

What options would you suggest, without a mac. I am considering the iphone/mobileme setup, and am a pc running outlook.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
esquire, my phone timeline looks similar to yours, although I started with the Treo 270. I am syncing my iPhone to Google (works flawlessly) and Google via CompanionLink to the Palm desktop.

Unlike the Palm, iTunes stores all your apps and password isn't an issue, so I've felt no need for some other kind of backup for apps. My photos & tunes are on my computer. If my hard drive dies, MM won't save you anyway. It isn't good enough to merely have the music on your iPhone - you can't get it off an iPhone onto a computer.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Obviously you don't have a Mac...

And to the OP - if you have a Mac, it's completely worth it. If you don't then I may look at other options available to you.

Spot on BA!:) Mac and iPhone is like "Peas and Carrots"!!!:D <Sorry for the Forrest Gump reference> If you do not have a Mac I have two suggestions:

1) Follow Alli's advice. Seems to be the most popular among PC users.

2) Throw that piece of "junk" computer under the first bus you see and go get yourself a Mac!!!:D:D

Sorry my PC friends. It was there I had to take it!:rolleyes:

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Thanks for the input, Alli.

For some reason, I am not a fan of the way google handles contacts, and there is no note and task sync.

Also, I am running outlook. I have thought about companionlink, but believe it is an expensive option.

I am trying to get all my "ducks in a row" before making the leap.

As for backup, I have all my music/photos backed-ud using two different systems. That is not a worry for me. Any photos I take with the phone would be, I assume, backed-up to itunes, and the pics would then flow to my other back-up solutions.

I like the mome for the push of calendar and contacts. Also, the find my phone would be cool.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
MobileMe has totally been worth 99 bucks a year!!! Now that we have find my phone, remote wipe and the new gallery it's even better! I think I'll call apple and tell them I wann give them more money!:))

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I knew about that already. I will not be pointing my browser towards amazon, though. I'll pay extra for convenience thank you. I am near the end of my second year with mobile me but I had a . Mac account for years before. They just send me an email letting me know it's about to re-up. I do nothing, it automatically charges me.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Spot on BA!:) Mac and iPhone is like "Peas and Carrots"!!!:D <Sorry for the Forrest Gump reference> If you do not have a Mac I have two suggestions:

1) Follow Alli's advice. Seems to be the most popular among PC users.

2) Throw that piece of "junk" computer under the first bus you see and go get yourself a Mac!!!:D:D

Sorry my PC friends. It was there I had to take it!:rolleyes:

My Win7 PC is faster than your Mac, more stable, more open, has more software compatibility, is more upgradeable, and probably cheaper than you POS Mac.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My Win7 PC is faster than your Mac, more stable, more open, has more software compatibility, is more upgradeable, and probably cheaper than you POS Mac.

I don't know how discussing your so called faster, more stable, more open, and more software compatible PC, all of which is pure speculation on your part, mean anything in a thread discussing MobileMe... In fact that poster you replied to never made any such claims.

Stay on topic...

Thanks.
;)