Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default mobileme from Apple

$99? Wow. This seems outrageously expensive. The features are great and I love that it pushes to the iPhone, but wow, just wow.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts

Everyone wants everything for free. 20GB storage, server time, and bandwidth for $20. Complicated software for $5 because it only runs on a phone. Free cookies.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

I just think $99 is too much. Other services for upgraded e-mail and whatever, e.g. Yahoo, charge only $20 a year. Gmail is free and I don't know how much Windows Live Hotmail charges. I personally dont need the 20 GB storage. Maybe if they had a tiered option it would be more attractive.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts

The other services you cite are ad-supported, etc.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    The other services you cite are ad-supported, etc.
    Yes thanks for pointing out the obvious. It's ad supported by free, but $20 for Yahoo for no ads.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts

But the yahoo service doesn't offer all the features of .me. You are comparing apple's and yahoo's. And, of course, if you don't find the service worth it, Steve Jobs isn't going to force you to pony up.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by xintelinsanex View Post
    Yes thanks for pointing out the obvious. It's ad supported by free, but $20 for Yahoo for no ads.
    Yes, I have the MailPlus from Yahoo and I have no ads.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    4,435 Global Posts

Still no true free push email.......
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLVR6 View Post
    Still no true free push email.......
    What do you call exchange-push support and yahoo push support?
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Intermediate

I would like a slimmed down version of mobileme that only includes:

1. Push email, push calendar, and push contacts
    2. 5-10 GB of storage space for e-mail

Price for this: $30
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    bone stock

I've got an Exchange server that does all that for me But no, I wouldn't pay for it if otherwise. Too many web based apps (Google, Yahoo!, Remember the Milk, etc.) for $0.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Intermediate

Haha nice. I wish I had an exchange server that would accomplish that for me.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

$99? Wow. This seems outrageously expensive. The features are great and I love that it pushes to the iPhone, but wow, just wow.
    Keep in mind that Jobs will have to spend one hundred years in purgatory for dealing with Microsoft.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

BlackBerry Personal data plan is $30 a month and all you get is push mail.

BlackBerry Enterprise data plan is $45 a month and you can sync to a BES server to receive everything you get with MobileMe, assuming your company runs a BES server. If you want personal BES service, you have to use a hosted BES solution that can have a varying cost. The cheapest I have ever seen is $9.99 a month.

With MobileMe, you pay $30 a month for your iPhone plan, and you pay $8.25 a month for the MobileMe service. You are paying a total of $38.25 for a huge amount of features that were previously unavailable to the consumer market, unless you were will to shell out $55, if not more. That doesn't include minutes...

It is a good deal through and through.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-09-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I think MobileMe is a bit over priced but that's like complaining about how much the macbook pro or mac pro costs. There's an 'Apple tax' on their products, we all know that now.

What I'm hopeful about is that it's leap and bounds better than .Mac, and from the looks of it, it is
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Intermediate

An Apple Tax is a good way of putting it. Apple always overprices thing. I am going to try out the mobileme service and if I like it, I might pay for it for a year. But here is the problem. If I want to keep that e-mail address (is it still going to be @mac.com), I will have to keep paying. It is a never ending cycle.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,168 Global Posts

An Apple Tax is a good way of putting it. Apple always overprices thing. I am going to try out the mobileme service and if I like it, I might pay for it for a year. But here is the problem. If I want to keep that e-mail address (is it still going to be @mac.com), I will have to keep paying. It is a never ending cycle.
    Dude, I pay more than what Apple is charging for Mobile Me for a Personal Exchange account via 4Smartphone.
    Co-Host On the iOSDocked Podcast
    PDA Lineage: Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond,iPhone 3G 16GB,iPhone 3GS 16GB/WiFi Ipad 16GB,iPhone 4 32gb,iPhone 4s 32gb,iPhone 5, Ipad 3,iPhone 5S, Ipad Air
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Dude, I pay more than what Apple is charging for Mobile Me for a Personal Exchange account via 4Smartphone.
    How much? And what service is it?
    iMore Beginner

I think this is definitely worth it. This syncs my PC with Outlook at work, my Mac at home, and my iPhone. The photo albums and 20GB(!) iDisk are great too. (I can't tell you how much I hate using YouSendIt.) $99 may be a bit more than I would like to pay, but there is no other service that does ALL of this. Some do a little here, and a little there, but MobileMe seems to be the perfect syncing solution, especially for those of us without Exchange. (iDisk seems to make it even better than Exchange.) I'll definitely be getting it.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iPhone Intermediate

Yeah it does provide a lot. But I wonder why Apple didn't do a tiered service? The iPhones have a different price point, the iPods as well.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I'm really happy they're allowing a 60-day trial. I really like the concept of this thing but in the back of my mind I could see myself barely using the full functionality. Plus, it kinda pisses me off that I would have to have ANOTHER new email address, if I could use it with my Gmail address, i'll be all over it for sure.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

The 60-day trial is a very smart idea. Apple is using it as an opportunity for users to get acclimated to the software and features and if we do choose to dive in, we'll be ready. Also, don't forget if you buy a Mac, i believe you receive a 30% discount on MobileMe. I have heard of amazon also providing discounts within that range. 70 bucks is definitely a lot more palatable.
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    2,211 Global Posts

I pay for .Mac now and I'd say value is border line - each year I wonder if it's really worth it but each year I do end up renewing. For me the curent .Mac service is justified mostly by the simplicity and integration rather than the raw functionality: simple backup and syncing (between Macs) of contacts, calendar, bookmarks, keychains (incl. 1Password), mail accounts and rules etc; simple publishing of photos from Aperture; simple vnc ('Back to My Mac'); easy storage on iDisk, etc. I quite expect most of that can be done more cheaply in other ways, but I'm sure it can't be done as easily.

MobileMe is a different matter and the OTA syncing to iPhone completely pushes it into the 'decent value' category for me. I'd like it a lot if I never had to connect my phone to a computer via a cable again and everything was kept 100% in sync, 100% of the time, OTA. This at least gets us part way there. Podcast syncing over 3G and/or Wifi would I think be the next best step, although complete wireless syncing with iTunes would be required for the solution that I'd really like to see.
    Last edited by marcol; 06-11-2008 at 05:36 AM.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
    The 60-day trial is a very smart idea. Apple is using it as an opportunity for users to get acclimated to the software and features and if we do choose to dive in, we'll be ready. Also, don't forget if you buy a Mac, i believe you receive a 30% discount on MobileMe. I have heard of amazon also providing discounts within that range. 70 bucks is definitely a lot more palatable.
    Well they have always had the 60 day trial thing for .Mac, so I don't really find that as a wow factor. I would have expected a trial period. I still don't think it is worth it. I read everyone's opinions and everyone has good reasons for paying for the service, but I can't see myself shelling out 100 a year to keep my email address.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

Well they have always had the 60 day trial thing for .Mac, so I don't really find that as a wow factor. I would have expected a trial period. I still don't think it is worth it. I read everyone's opinions and everyone has good reasons for paying for the service, but I can't see myself shelling out 100 a year to keep my email address.
    You are more than welcome to your opinion, but you are short changing the service. Apple has offered Exchange services to everyone. This is something that has never been done before for such a low price.

You aren't just paying for the mail address. If you will never use the push calender, contacts, and you don't need push mail, and you will never use photo syncing, then of course it isn't a good deal. If you are like me and have wished you could have those things for years, it is an excellent deal. I have always hated the functionality that Exchange and BES users have had on their WinMo and BB devices while the only thing I got was push mail.

It is just another subjective service, but no matter what, it is a good value.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast