mobileme from Apple

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Thinking about this from a business perspective ( Evil Business) they should have said it was free.. got everyone to see how good it is and how much you HAVE TO HAVE IT and then say....NOW you must pay and see how many are willing to do so. That would have been genius.
Or more likely, that would be called bait-n-switch and subject to a class action suit. But it would be entertaining to see them try. ;)

jmeiners

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
i have a .mac account and have been please with the options. it is an easy way for my wife to create and maintain a website, blog, etc... without having to go with multiple services. so while it may be a little pricey the added expense is worth the convenience.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I've had a .Mac account since before it was .Mac (anyone remember iTools?) and I've never thought it was overpriced. I'm excited for the new features, especially the push syncing, and a doubling of my iDisk is awesome too.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
So I will be moving over to a 3G iphone from a Blackberry Curve..

I am a sole trader businessman

Just one phone

And several business email addresses to work with

I am getting worried that the 'push' email function on the iphone mobileme will only work for @mobileme.com email addresses.. :eek:

Is that correct?

On my Blackberry (o2 network UK) I just go to an o2 web page and enter in all the details of the business email addresses that I want pushed to my Blackberry - and it does it. No problem. I am not running a 'server' and I am not part of a big company running its own IT department - its simply part of the ?35 monthly phone subscription and this is what the professional business push email is all about.

If mobileme can only push its OWN emails and cant do it for other email addresses - this isn't a real business solution.. And I don't want to have to futz around with bouncing emails through google..:mad:

Anyway - can someone put me out of my misery and tell me it ain't so?

Please tell me that iphone can push business emails and not just mobileme addresses created from 11th July 2008 onwards...

Thanks,

P.s. if all that is useless I suppose I can set it to fetch my emails every 5 mins or so..? But will my mac Mail become a mess? I would like my laptop Mail and my iphone's Mail program to contain the same EXACT data - sent and received mails . (even if I have to do some manual syncing)

Last edited:

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Er hang on..

I wasn't asking about forwarding to a mobileme account..

I was asking about pushing my business emails to my phone

There is a big difference, pretty much any email software can forward emails.

Push email is different.

Does anyone know if mobileme will push non mobileme email addresses (Blackberry style) to the the iphone?

I guess I need the "Enterprise for the rest of us" part explained to me clearly.

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Er hang on..

I wasn't asking about forwarding to a mobileme account..

I was asking about pushing my business emails to my phone

There is a big difference, pretty much any email software can forward emails.

Push email is different.

Does anyone know if mobileme will push non mobileme email addresses (Blackberry style) to the the iphone?

I guess I need the "Enterprise for the rest of us" part explained to me clearly.

Thanks in advance..

Does your business use exchange? If it does you can use that for push email on the iPhone.

And no, mobileme will only push @me.com email.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Does your business use exchange? If it does you can use that for push email on the iPhone.

And no, mobileme will only push @me.com email.

On my Blackberry (o2 network UK) I just go to an o2 web page and enter in all the details of the business email addresses that I want pushed to my Blackberry - and it does it. No problem. I am not running a 'server' and I am not part of a big company running its own IT department - its simply part of the ?35 monthly phone subscription

:)confused::eek::mad:

OK while I now try to stab myself to death with a large spoon, would someone that knows what I want the phone to do - please tell me the 'work around' to deal with already established business email addresses then?

a) forget the push email its only for @me.com and is not in fact a Blackberry style 'enterprise' solution as advertised but instead a 'vanilla' non business push email service.

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses - who cares about domain names established for over 10 years eh?

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable Blackberry loving SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon and join you in death?

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

OK while I now try to stab myself to death with a large spoon, would someone that knows what I want the phone to do - please tell me the 'work around' to deal with already established business email addresses then?

a) forget the push email its only for @me.com and is not in fact a Blackberry style 'enterprise' solution as advertised but instead a 'vanilla' non business push email service.

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon?

It's really up to you if you want to change your email to @me.com....... if not, good luck with your spoon... or set up a exchange server or pay for one online. Do a google search and you can find many websites that offer that for a fee.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

b) Change them all to @me.com addresses - who cares about domain names established for over 10 years eh?

c) good luck with the spoon you miserable Blackberry loving SOB

d) I have only just realized this limitation where too can I find a big spoon and join you in death?

Is your email already hosted on an Exchange server that supports ActiveSync push? If it is, you can get your email by connecting directly to it.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I already stated earlier that the email push service I use now is the basic consumer level one offered on my Blackberry tariff.

You enter the pop email and passwords into the web admin page and bingo! All your emails are pushed by the phone company to your Blackberry.

Business A emails arrive as - Business A emails
Business B emails arrive as - Business B emails
Business C emails arrive as - Business C emails
Google emails arrive as - Google emails

There is no private server involved, its a service for individual users offered by the phone company as part of your Blackberry account and costs peanuts.

I was hoping that the "enterprise for the rest of us" was just that - a Blackberry enterprise style push service (or the consumer level one that I use now whatever..) for everyone on mobileme

OK the majority of Blackberry use is associated with company servers, but there is that private user service too - what cant mobileme do that? Bummer.. and misleading imho.. the ads make you think iphone can replace Blackberry push.

Anyway - if I forget the push aspect of email on iphone will all my mail programs be exactly the same via isync? - or do I need to get IMAP involved too?

Thanks..

Last edited:

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I think what we (I say we, because I am in the same situation) are looking for is Blackberry Internet Service for the iPhone. Basicly, you go to a website, register your phone, and enter the email address's and passwords that you want pushed to your Blackberry. It's not instant, but it pushes your email to you within 5-20 minutes.

I thought that was what Mobileme was, but it looks like I am wrong.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR