Pages on iPhone 4S: old files trying to sync

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a strange issue with Pages on my iPhone, regarding iCloud sync.

I have Pages set up on my Macbook Pro, and on my iPad, and iCloud sync works fine between the two. But when opening Pages on my iPhone, it shows a bunch of old files that are no longer stored in iCloud. It does let me access the files that are supposed to be there, but there are about 20 other files that I removed from iCloud, and on those files it shows the little progress bar on them. It tries to load them, and since it obviously can't (because they're no longer in iCloud at all), it stops. They remain visible in Pages though; I can't load them, nor can I delete them.

I've tried uninstalling Pages completely and reinstalling from the App Store, but as soon as I enable iCloud sync, these "ghost" files reappear. The same thing happens if I disable iCloud sync in Settings. After it's disabled, I go into Pages, and it asks what I want to do with the files still on my phone. I opt to delete them, and everything disappears. I then go back into Settings, re-enable iCloud sync, open up Pages.. and all the ghost files reappear.

Pages was installed on my iPhone (with iCloud sync enabled) before I upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion, and also upgraded Pages. After the upgrade, I then installed Pages on my iPad, and sync on my iPad has no issues.

If these were just leftover cache files or something, I would assume completely removing Pages from my iPhone would get rid of them, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Before I do a factory reset on my phone (which I consider overkill), I'm hoping someone else has an idea on how to solve this.

lukeall

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

I had a similar problem and logged into the iCloud.com website. The problem files were in fact displayed there. And I was able to delete them through the website, though I couldn't in the apps.

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the iCloud website only shows the files that are in fact supposed to be there. The ghost files are only on my iPhone. Thanks for the suggestion though.

lukeall

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
iExplorer

Have you looked at this app? You can delete system files from the iPhone or iPad with it. It's free. I used it on a Winders-based laptop a year ago or so when I was having problems with the App Store giving errors that it couldn't update certain apps. I don't remember all the details, but I'm guessing you can find details about the Pages app and how to browse to it using iExplorer for iOS.

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about iExplorer. I was able to browse through the iPhones files, and tried removing the cache files for Pages, as well as removing any iCloud files for the app. Unfortunately, the ghost files are still reappearing. I may end up resetting my phone, and hopefully that will sort it out once and for all.

dscott23

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Did a full reset, restored from my iCloud backup, and the files are now gone. Seems like overkill, but it worked.

One frightening moment where the first restore popped up with an error, but it went ok the second time around. Hoping the issue doesn't come up again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A trusty old reset and restore as new works wonders, even though it can be an inconvenience. Still, the end result is worth it, at least in my opinion.

Just Me, D
(iPhone)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner