I just wanted to make a post about some important limitations to HomeKit, as I see them from using Matthias's Home app. I'd be interested to hear any other limitations, or how people are coping with the limitations.

1) You must be on the same wifi network as your hubs for your phone to control your HomeKit compatible devices. You need to have an Apple TV on the network to get remote access.

2) Sunrise/Sunset is not available as a time nor an event trigger. This means you can't set a certain scene everyday at sunset the way you can in IFTTT. It can be used as a condition to an Event Trigger (i.e. only fires After Sunrise).

3) Time triggers cannot use conditions (this is a HomeKit bug). For example you can't have a trigger do: set the Relax scene everyday at 8PM ONLY IF a light in that scene is already on (because if someone has manually turned the lights off I don't want to turn them back on automatically).

4) Triggers cannot be set to be activated only on certain days of the week. I would find it helpful to have certain triggers be active on the weekdays, and different ones on the weekend, much like I have different alarms for weekdays/the weekend.

5) Another person's location cannot be used as a condition in a trigger. For example, I can't create a trigger to turn off all the lights when I leave the house ONLY IF my wife is also not at home. I can create a trigger to turn off all the lights when I leave, but it will activate regardless of whether or not my wife is home. A workaround might be if you have some sort of occupancy sensors.
    01-25-2016 01:18 PM
    1) Wouldn't call that a limitation since there is a way... But yes, it sucks to be obligated to buy an apple tv. But I believe that has more security measures.

2) Don't believe it to be a homekit limitation but an app limitation since it doesn't really depend on homekit but on the app information retrieval. It's possible that there might be an app that allows that.

3) Yes, it would be cool to have iffs. Since an app can check if a light is on or off, I think there's no reason not to be possible to use that kind of automation.

4) Yes you can, i use idevices app but there are a lot of homekit apps that you can program things like that, even the philips hue app allows that (but only for philips hue).

5) Yes, that would be great, hope the homekit improves in that way on another version.

6) Siri not always works, probably a buggy siri.

7) Applications that allow hue lights to do continued scenes like blinking and changing colors and so on, have to be openned for the effect to appen. Don't know how it is with an apple tv at home but they should be allowed to use some icloud memory or something to be sending the information to the bulbs. I believe hue bridge don't allow those automations to be programmed to hapen at certain times but we should be abble to have those programmings (complex event triggers) if we owned an apple tv, using cloud or apple tv memory to send those informations at the programmed time.

Anyway, homekit is still somewhat a new thing and they might improve it, but still basic things like those should be implemented soon and apple usually takes lots of time to make those kind of improvements.
    01-28-2016 04:47 PM
    Welcome to the HomeKit forum, it's rather quiet and I'd like to see it livened up.
    2) Don't believe it to be a homekit limitation but an app limitation since it doesn't really depend on homekit but on the app information retrieval. It's possible that there might be an app that allows that.
    Whether or not this is an app limitation or a HomeKit limitation depends on the way events are actually executed. For example, if I'm away from my house will a timed event still occur, or does a HomeKit app on my phone have to trigger it when the specified time arrives? If it's the former, I would think it's definitely a HomeKit bug, if it's the latter I'd think it's an app bug.

Regardless, if I own an Apple TV I think it should work such that timed events occur whether or not anyone is home. Since everything is synced up to iCloud, events should be stored there and executed automatically, even if my phone is turned off. That's how I think it should work for both timed events, and triggered events (i.e. if someone unlocks an August lock the lights automatically turn on if it's after 5pm).
    01-29-2016 01:12 PM
    Man... What i just read about on another forum: Beecon+
    Just google it, i can't post links here
    01-29-2016 05:41 PM
    HomeKit in iOS 9 removes the need for an Apple TV, however the HomeKit device manufacturer has to support it too. Otherwise, you're stuck with needing an Apple TV. It is missing now, but the Ecobee Faq previously mentioned that a software and hardware update would be required for remote HomeKit features without an Apple TV.
    02-14-2016 04:44 PM
    Sorry I'm late to the party. I've been running Philips Hue lights for over a year and linking with Samsung SmartThings (ST).

Recently I upgraded my hub to V2 so my lights are now all HomeKit ready.

However, as mentioned above the Home app is so limited I've no choice but to keep using ST until I get more.

This is what I'd want to see in iOS 11:

1) IF, THEN, AND & ELSE
    ST has a very granular way of controlling appliances where I can set one of my lights to turn on if me or my partner is home and my motion sensor is activated and if we are out it alerts us that there is movement (usually the cat).
    It would be best if I could set something like the below:

IF iphone1 OR iphone2
    Equals PRESENT (connected to Apple TV)
    AND bedroom motion = true
    THEN bedroom Light = ON 100%
    ELSE notification = iphone1 iphone2
    AND activate Siren

2) Multi Users
    As described above, things happen if one or both of us are home. Would be nice if Home could do this too especially as it allows me to share the Home and I've setup Family Sharing.

3) Intervals
    I've got SmartThings set that if I turn a light on in certain rooms after 10pm it will turn back off after 10mins.
    This is incredibly helpful if I or the kids turn their bedroom lights on if they wake up at night.
    Kids are incapable of turning lights off and I'd forget if I was in bed. This saves energy and is better for them to sleep in the dark.

4) Assigning & Naming Appliances
    Not something that's available in ST but I've always wanted to assign a my bedside and over head reading lamps and other bits to a person.
    I can then tell Siri to "turn Dans lamps off" which will turn all the stuff on my side of the bed off and won't turn them back on with motion.

5) Kids / Restricted Room Access
    Kids both have iPads but not access to Home or ST as they'll end up changing setting or turning all the lights in the house on off or a different colour.
    Would be nice if I can give them access to turn on or off lights in their own room but nothing else.
    This saves them asking me all the time.
    Note: now I have HomeKit Hue lights it is easier to just use Siri but letting them do it themselves would be better.

6) iCloud Integration
    When one is available I'm going to get a HomeKit camera for in house security.
    Mixed with the above ideas it would be great for the camera to auto record a video when motion is detected or a door is opened when no one is home.
    Better still if that video was saved to iCloud so there is evidence available should it be a real event and not just the cat running around again.
    02-01-2017 09:29 AM
    Wink or Smartthings + Amazon Echo > HomeKit.

If I was starting from scratch, I would not even consider HomeKit. IMO

Apple is way behind on HA.... I don't know if they can or will ever catch up.
    02-14-2017 02:02 PM
    Wink or Smartthings + Amazon Echo > HomeKit.

If I was starting from scratch, I would not even consider HomeKit. IMO

Apple is way behind on HA.... I don't know if they can or will ever catch up.
    HomeKit isn't the end-all be-all, but what it's good at is unifying all of your smart home devices and allowing you to share access to all the things within your home with your family. My mom can swipe up and tap a button to set a light scene or turn the lights off, but she wouldn't remember what the scenes are called to issue a command to Alexa. That's great when she's over at my house when we aren't home.

Their automation features are seriously lacking, but there's seemingly nothing technically stopping them from continuing to add functionality; and that's what's so frustrating about the glacial pace of improvement.
    02-15-2017 07:57 AM
    As long as HomeKit relies on Bluetooth, I can only see it being used on simple HA applications. Z-wave and Zigbee are much better because they use mesh technology to extend themselves.

I have used HomeKit ..... Now that I use Wink with Alexa I can tell you that my house is magic.

I can give access to other users, I can use Alexa too. (currently have one Echo and 2 Dots that cover my house). I don't need to have my phone with me to turn on my lights. I just talk to my house.

"Alexa, turn on the living room lights." Thats a scene example I think your mom could remember.

Look... HomeKit is OK. But its HomeKit that is at a glacial pace of improvement. Not the same for Google Home, Amazon Echo, Wink, Smartthings, Insteaon.
    02-15-2017 10:10 AM
    As long as HomeKit relies on Bluetooth, I can only see it being used on simple HA applications. Z-wave and Zigbee are much better because they use mesh technology to extend themselves.

I have used HomeKit ..... Now that I use Wink with Alexa I can tell you that my house is magic.

I can give access to other users, I can use Alexa too. (currently have one Echo and 2 Dots that cover my house). I don't need to have my phone with me to turn on my lights. I just talk to my house.

"Alexa, turn on the living room lights." Thats a scene example I think your mom could remember.

Look... HomeKit is OK. But its HomeKit that is at a glacial pace of improvement. Not the same for Google Home, Amazon Echo, Wink, Smartthings, Insteaon.
    I think as will all things Apple they wait until its ready before releasing. Smartthings and Google Home etc are great but they have faults. Apple will want to eliminate those issues before making them available.
    Hopefully ios11 sees mass improvements
    02-15-2017 12:26 PM
    I think as will all things Apple they wait until its ready before releasing. Smartthings and Google Home etc are great but they have faults. Apple will want to eliminate those issues before making them available.
    Hopefully ios11 sees mass improvements
    Until they move away from Bluetooth... HomeKit will be crippled IMO. I have to believe the next AppleTV will remedy that... along with adding 4k. <fingers crossed>
    02-15-2017 01:38 PM
    Until they move away from Bluetooth... HomeKit will be crippled IMO. I have to believe the next AppleTV will remedy that... along with adding 4k. <fingers crossed>
    What makes you say that Bluetooth is the downfall?
    02-15-2017 02:14 PM
    What makes you say that Bluetooth is the downfall?
    Range
    02-17-2017 10:07 AM
    Range
    How big is your house?

With BT linking from device to device it seems easy to cover all over
    02-17-2017 10:55 AM
    I completely agree. Automation must support multiple conditions and exclusions (e.g., "When I leave Home" and "My Wife is NOT Still Home", "All Lights Off") for it to be truly useful.

And Apple TV/iPad as a HomeKit hub is great in theory but there's too much lag. Apple needs to figure out a way to reduce the lag. Using 3rd party hub (e.g., Hue Hub) is so much faster.
    03-22-2017 01:07 PM