Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ledsteplin
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

17 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default I need more Siri! (Alexa styled voice control needed)

Okay, misleading title. I despise Siri for many things. (This is mostly because of my mother and father believing that Siri can answer any question that could ever be posed.) My parents' constant dependance on Siri has soured my opinion.

That said, I use Siri, and I really like HomeKit.

My working project is to wire almost every light and fan in the house to HomeKit in one way or another. It's great that I can share access so my wife and kids can all use them. My new Apple TV 4 will be here today, with Siri remote. Each family member has an iPhone, or iPod, to use. However, I'm still short of my ultimate goal.

I want to be able to walk into a room and say "Hey Siri, turn on my bedroom lights." or "Hey Siri, turn off the kids' room lights."
    It's great that I can do it with my phone. Honestly, I can do it with my Apple Watch also. Apple, and HomeKit in general, need a dedicated voice command module. Think Alexa (Amazon), but for Siri. Several could be placed around the house, and come close to the science fiction homes of the movies. (Without the AI taking over and trapping the family... You know what, maybe this is a bad idea. )

Default Re: I need more Siri! (Alexa styled voice control needed)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I too have a love/hate relationship with Siri. She's always been a work in progress over at Apple. Hopefully she continues to get better!

Siri follows me on Twitter!
    blackmagicwoman likes this.
    iMore Beginner

60 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

I wouldn't mind Apple creating a Sonos competitor, or a Google OnHub networking competitor that integrates a microphone array like the Echo, but a dedicated Siri listener seems a little too one-purpose to be worth it when your customers already have iPhones, etc. with them that can get the job done. You could probably just dock an old iPad and talk to it, but I'm not sure the microphone/Siri work well enough to make even a half-decent approximation of what Echo can do.