How accurate is the Apple Watch for Cycling?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
As some of you know around here I'm more of a runner/jogger, but am considering getting into biking/cycling some. Was curious if there are any cyclists around here that can vouch for the accuracy of the activity tracking for cycling on the AW2? To start I'll probably pick up an indoor cycle and go with that... if I really like it will pick up a 'real' bike for some road work.

Just curious at this point. Always wondered how accurately it would track if your arm is stationary on the handle. Must rely a lot more on the heart rate sensor?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
As some of you know around here I'm more of a runner/jogger, but am considering getting into biking/cycling some. Was curious if there are any cyclists around here that can vouch for the accuracy of the activity tracking for cycling on the AW2? To start I'll probably pick up an indoor cycle and go with that... if I really like it will pick up a 'real' bike for some road work.

Just curious at this point. Always wondered how accurately it would track if your arm is stationary on the handle. Must rely a lot more on the heart rate sensor?

Most of our (wife, me) biking is off road and snow (fat) biking if not commuting. It takes a lot for me to consider the relative boredom and danger for road rides, but I'm sure some of the commuting is an accurate comparison.

We've only had Apple Watch S2 for 6 weeks but used our phones and other devices prior. My wife will do watch only rides and the built in software. I'm almost always using the Abvio (same things Cyclemeter, Runmeter, Walkmeter).

In winter sleeves or gloves might be helping hold the watches steady. The way we ride expert MTB trails will certainly bounce the watch around.

No GPS does a truly accurate job with the twisty single track riding we do.

The S2 with Abvio app using "Health" access was an instant change to have more accurate ride data - same for skiing and some hiking.

If my wife uses watch only and I take phone distances reported are close. I can be using the watch built-in for hikes or walks but use Abvio app for MTB rides and more committed activities. I'm not sure the Apple app knows MTB riding or hiking can be much different than a walk or road ride. Her MTB rides with the Abvio app register more calories burned.

My associates who take their training very seriously use chest or arm HRM with Apple Watches and Garmin watches.

To be honest, if you're already a runner I'd be looking at off road riding with modern trails and gear in mind. You'll add a lot more fun and important skills. Some road rides help me build fitness but off road rides are being in a real life video game. They use more of your body and mind.

:)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll keep that in mind! Used to do a lot of mountain/trail biking as a kid. I kinda miss those days. You're totally right, very much engages the body and mind. Tough to get around in rugged terrain!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep that in mind! Used to do a lot of mountain/trail biking as a kid. I kinda miss those days. You're totally right, very much engages the body and mind. Tough to get around in rugged terrain!

Depending on your location, the terrain and gear have changed so much that you might have to temper some past thoughts except for having fun.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've taken a different approach to indoor cycling. I have a good racing bike stood idle over winter so I bought a Tacx turbo trainer that my bike sits on rather than buying an exercise bike (most of which are terrible and don't simulate cycling well). I have a subscription to Zwift, an online virtual biking environment, and use a wahoo bluetooth chest strap rather than my Apple Watch. All my rides automatically sync to Strava and in turn this gets reflected in the activity rings on my Apple Watch.

So why do I do it this way? The trainer allows me to use my bike so I'm training in a position that I'll be in when I ride outdoors. Zwift talks to the trainer and matches the resistance on the rear wheel to the scenery on the screen so it satisfies my inner nerd. There's other cyclists there to race or you can just look to beat your own times on various sections of road. I find chest straps to be more reliable than wrist sensors. A good exercise bike costs more than a turbo trainer (a terrible one can be bought for less)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I did a short ride with the watch built in exercise app in cycle mode. The distance was as right as my usual Cyclemeter (Abvio, same as Runmeter, Walkmeter). The Abvio app didn't record the distance but Health did which is very good. I can keep using Abvio for MTB riding but log other rides so I have total MTB miles in the year.

The short neighborhood ride was not enough to make judgements on the watch's battery life. As said before the watch plus Abvio app and phone have had good battery life or at least for long days Alpine skiing and ride < 3 hours.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Well that's that's good to hear.
@imwjl would you recommend it for cycling use?

Absolutely. Any - original, S1, S2 - will work. You need the S2 to do what I did yesterday - no phone.

IMO the Apple Watch is what many fitness trackers are but more when you consider other apps, cosmetic and physical design. Friends with Garmins have more special for sports devices but I feel my Apple Watch has an edge for a broad range of activities. It's as fine with dress clothes as it is with sports clothes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR