Bicyclists unite!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a bad injury to my left hip rotator cuff due to a drunk driver knocking me off my motorbike a few years back. I bought the Trek bike because I heard that cycling helped massively with recuperation. When I first started on the Trek, I couldn't swing my left leg over the bike and had to lean it over quite a way to the side before I could get on. Now, due to constant exercise, I don't have to and can swing my leg over the upright bike quite easily.

And after the accident, my doctors said I would never cycle again, never run again and always walk with a limp too. It's amazing what the body can accomplish if you don't listen to the 'experts.' Today, no limp and I can run and cycle quite happily.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Changed my seat out today to something I felt was a little more comfortable (same series but a little more padding)...got a nice 30 miler in before some nasty weathered cut my trip short. Sticks blowing out of trees riding back to the car during a storm do not feel great...lol!

bIp2MXm.jpg

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Riding today was more enjoyable than the past few weekends. It was overcast and low 80s this afternoon compared to the 100+ temps we've been having.

The GT Sensor 3.0 has been a nice bike. I need to do a full maintenance and cleaning, though. Will wait a few more weeks for more moderate temps and fewer mosquitoes. Without a strong breeze or fan they are thick. Makes it hard to concentrate and enjoy working on stuff.

Attachments

• GTSensor3.0_2011_2.jpg
    GTSensor3.0_2011_2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 10

KellBrown

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone got the new iPhone (6) running any version of 8 (.02 or .1) to record cycling data? Mine counts steps, stairs and all manner of other things but it won't record my daily commute.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone got the new iPhone (6) running any version of 8 (.02 or .1) to record cycling data? Mine counts steps, stairs and all manner of other things but it won't record my daily commute.

I have not used the Health app yet, but checked into the Sources setting. I use MapMyRide for logging my rides, hikes, walks, etc. Health App sees MapMyRide as a "Source", and can receive Active Calories and Workouts as inputs.

Your question prompted me to look around, and from a search I see a few references to issues with the Health App not being able to log cycling data correctly yet. Don't have any personal experience yet to substantiate either way.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6620729
iPhone 6 and tracking walking and cycling : apple
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6548678?start=15&tstart=0

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

My 6 Plus combined with Map My Ride app has worked perfectly for me, but the health app has not be able to work properly...I had another knee procedure a couple of weeks back so I haven't ridden since then so I don't know if 8.1 has fixed that.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Who had one of these? The Wheelie Bike was first introduced in 1963 by Scwhinn. They remained popular until giving way to the BMX style bike in the late '70's. It's been making a comeback amongst baby boomers as a collector item, bringing in hundreds. I have to admit, these were fun bikes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415416740.781682.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I remember riding something like that from Schwinn, banana seat for sure. Think it was red with metallic flakes.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I saw a really obese man riding a bike like that during the summer...it was pretty humorous to see, and he just looked like he was having the time of his life!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Rode 59 minutes today along the Hike and Bike Trail, and for the first time on the recently opened Boardwalk over the lake. Why 59 minutes? I just rode without a watch or cycling computer, and turned around about when it felt like I had been gone about 1/2 hour. My iPhone 6+ was in the Camelbak, so couldn't see it. (exact ride metrics 59:06, 9.13 miles). Near perfect weather in the mid-60s and light breeze.

Trails were not too busy, although a few areas were washed out due to recent heavy rains. Not a problem on an MTB, but today's ride was on the touring bike. Need to get back down there soon and make the full loop around the lake. Wasn't possible to do so safely (required risky riding on busy streets) before.

Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail and Boardwalk at Lady Bird Lake | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The weather has prevented me from getting any legitimate rides in for going on 2 months now, and I am absolutely miserable because of that. I simply cannot WAIT for the warmer spring weather to return!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah we still have about a month here before I can get back on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk