Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default CONTEST: Resting MY Way!

February is fitness month at Mobile Nations, and you know what that means? we all get together to get in shape, share tips and tricks and recipes for success, review amazing apps and accessories, give away great prizes, and have a ton of fun!

This here is our Resting MY Way contest. Simply tell us how you use your iPhone or iPad, to sleep, nap, meditate, or breathe better and stay healthier. What are your favorite apps? Yoga? Guided meditation? White noise? Timers? What are your go to accessories? How does your device fit your active lifestyle? We want to know!

Write them out like a blog post. Yup, use paragraphs, list apps, list accessories, make it really helpful for anyone else interested in using their tech for exercise!

We'll post the best entries on Friday, so get them in ASAP! Need more incentive? We'll pick one winner a week and send them a $100 gift certificate!

What are you waiting for, start posting NOW!

Global Posts
    4,004 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

Default Re: CONTEST: Resting MY Way!

I use my iPhone5 in combination with my FitBit One to track my sleep.

The FitBit uses the accelerometer to determine how much you are moving while you sleep. You need to wear the FitBit in the included wrist strap, and it is fairly accurate. The sync to the iPhone is done via Bluetooth and as long as the app is running in the background, it will do so automatically.

You can then look at the app to see the hours of sleep you received, and it also shows you how many times you were awake. It also gives you the option to edit the sleep in case it is not set correctly.

There are a few drawbacks though. You need to put the FitBit into activity mode by pressing and holding the button on it. You also need to stop activity mode in the morning. If you forget either you can use the iPhone app to edit your sleep times. Also the movement tracker, while it is pretty accurate on noticing if you are moving, but it does not really know if you are in true REM sleep.

Either way it is a great way to see about how much you are sleeping and you can see the average sleep per week/month etc.
    Last edited by bamf-hacker; 02-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I use the Fitbit with my iPhone 5, as well. It’s also nice that in addition to tracking your sleep, it includes a silent alarm - gently vibrating you awake in the morning with out the annoying alarm sounds that also wake my wife.

I had the Jawbone UP for a while, but returned it because the largest size (large) is too tight on my wrist. The Fitbit works great for sleep with the wrist band, and otherwise, lives in my pants pocket.

And I often use my iPod Nano to"sing me to sleep"... I have recorded several white noise "songs" and use them to help clear my mind and settle my soul at night when I go to sleep.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Nanite

Wow have you folks hit the button on this one. Sometimes I sleep very well, but other times, not so much. I spent three years in Japan when I was a kid. Part if my education was exposure to Japanese culture. I took a class on Meditation. After clearing my mind, I didn't find enlightenment, but I did find some really good snoozes. All I got to do is meditate, and it normally takes me right out. With that being said, I have tried multiple apps, but my go to insomnia daisy cutter is an iPhone app called Relax. Also as far as podcasts go, one particular episode of one particular podcast is Episode 6 of "The Meditation Podcast". It works like a good snort of Ether.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I love my Fitbit for monitoring my sleep. But the question is - how do you fall asleep. For that I use White Noise. Awesome app with tons of background sounds that will drown out anything and anyone!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I love the Fitbit idea but does anyone use a sleep tracking application? I'm looking to stop using the iHome app since it's buggy as can be. Any sleep tracking recommendations similar to the iHome app? I'm not looking at anything where I have to place my device on or under my pillow more just a start stop timer with possible sound tracking to tell me how much I snore.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

I don't really use my iPhone too much to help with sleep, relaxation or meditation. But what I do like to do when I meditate is listen to sounds that help induce a meditative state. I will use Safari to look up new ways of meditation and how to better meditate.

I also use the Music app to listen to my meditative state inducing sound files, I currently have two. And I will set my phone to Do Not Disturb and then play my sound file and turn the screen off so that I am not disturbed while I am meditating. And since I use passive noise canceling headphones, I am free to meditate wherever I am and not being disturbed by my surroundings.

So for about 30-40 minutes as often as I can (depending on the sound file), I can peacefully avoid any active thoughts and let my mind do its thing and get the rest and relaxation it needs. And this also helps me to find great insights to myself and problems I am having. And I should remember a dream after any nights sleep I will again go to Safari to interpret my dreams (the site I use better online than the app).

I also like to sometimes lay down for a while and gets lost in my thoughts and I spur this on by listening to music. Since my iPhone has replaced my MP3 player I use it for my all my music needs. I even go so far with this as to eventually block out all external sounds, even the music coming in through my earphones. I find this method of relaxation to be near meditative and makes me feel much better about life and myself in general when I am done.

For now that's all I use my iPhone for with relaxation and meditation but as I'm always looking things up and looking at new apps, I'm sure I will find some apps that can be just as useful. Technology does not have to be counterproductive to a healthy mind, curiosity and lifestyle, it can in fact exponentially increase it when used properly and effectively.

Mobile engaged, message transmitted
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

I use sleep cycle app to monitor the quality and length of my sleep! Great app!
    "Hello my name is Kristy, and I'm an Appleholic!"

Twitter: @Kristy_Lyn
    iPhone Nanite

Cool, i love this topic and have lots of apps for my iPhone about this!
    Also done some resarch and presented it with links and pics.
    Here is my post:

1) SLEEP:

Sleep Cycle alarm clock
    By Maciek Drejak Labs

Everybody should know this one or has seen it on the top of the appstore, it's amazing!
    If you place it as the above image shows it tracks your movements and analizes your sleep.
    When you wake up it will show you a graph of your sleep, but most important it wakes you up knowing when you are less in deep sleep.
    It also has some relaxing sounds to help you get in to sleep!
    (Baisicly get's you in to sleep, tracks it and wakes you up in perfect timing)

This app is pretty cool, i have used it many times altough i don't see it as practical, yes, it works or it must be a placebo, but i'm not really happy putting my phone under my pillow (I use airplane mode and it has also fallen a few sometimes) logically using acelerometer there is abattery drain and it's suggested leaveing the phone charging all night (which i'm not really keen on doing), but it's worth a try!

Price: 0.89$ (iPhone)

ALTERNATIVE: aSleep (Much more simple)

(Never tryed one of these, it would be awsome)

PS: ++(Interesting) This is a good website that calculates bed time: sleepyti.me

PS2: Also, i normally read a book, studies have shown disconection and better sleep when reading some pages before bed, and even better if it's fiction (Get a book or use you'r tablet!)
    > Check out Amazons * TOP 20

2) RELAXATION

Ambiance
    By Urban Apps

This is really the best of the best out there!
    Includes over 2500 free sounds to download and listen. You can create customized sound mixes, cycle through playlists and even wake up to relaxing sounds.
    (You can purchase more HD sounds)

Price: $2.99 (iPad & iPhone)
    (If you want to be cheap and just try out how these relaxing sounds work, just youtube search 'relaxing... sounds')

Cool/Fun games: Koi Pond , Zen Bound 2 , iZen Garden 2

3) BREATHING

BreatheMate
    By SpreadCode

This app assists you to follow breathing patterns.
    For example you chose 4-20 seconds holding your breath, (automatically calculates depending on what you selected) 2-10 breathing-out, 1-5 seconds breathing-out and it will start repeating (the app is predeterminated for 10 repeats).
    I really like this one for it's simplicity, nice design and ease to use just after download.

Price: FREE (iPhone)
    (Has a non-obtrusive ad-banner at the top. 0.89c to take)

ALTERNATIVE: Breathe2Relax (Can track and shows you how to breathe)

4) YOGA

Yoga Free: 250 Poses & Yoga Classes
    By ARAWELLA CORPORATION

Simple and straight foward yoga app, all what you want and need.
    250 Poses and some nice extra features (Calendar, quotes...).

Price: FREE (iPhone)
    (InAppPurchase for detailed text instructions, photos of poses, categories...)

ALTERNATIVES: Daily Yoga , https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hot-...0l3Vy&ct=vb_im

It came out pretty well, i put a los of time in to it
    Thanks for reading, comment or add any suggestions!
    Last edited by da_abades; 02-22-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: OH FAIL, LINKS ARE NOT APPEARING WELL
    iPhone Nanite

Yup......I use my iphone/ipad during my leisure time to hear music and even in performing excercise.......i'ts amazing gadgets! Lastly, when I'm not ready to sleep.....I use it to comfort myself.