Jawbone UP or Nike Fuel Band

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at the Jawbone UP yesterday... but was frustrated by the fit. Apparently Jawbone doesn?t make an XL size band... and while it does track your sleep patterns, if it?s not comfortable to wear all night, what?s the value?

I?ve also been looking at the Nike Fuel Band, but as I understand it, it doesn?t do sleep tracking. They do offer a XL size...

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Can you give an endorsement for either based on your use? The reviews on the Jawbone say there are issues with retaining a charge, but the guy at the Apple store said that it was removed from the market, redesigned and re-released. I haven?t seen any documentation of this.

Since I use the Nike+ app, I would think that the Nike band would sync with the app...

Thanks in advance for your input.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I use the FitBit. It's not a bracelet and it just clips on your clothes anywhere. It's extremely accurate, right down to the 1/10 of a mile. It also tracks your sleep very well. Give it a look.

ljpuk

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I like my fuelband, I had the old up and it was good but broke. I do miss the sleep bit but if you leave the fuelband on overnight you can still see your nighttime movements.

I love the fact it's a watch too.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the new Up and haven't had any issues. The app is great, battery life is as advertised with quick charges, and the syncing prefect. It's so good my girlfriend actually sees how well I sleep and can show me to the exact minute when my snoring woke her up and how long I kept her up.
I bought a large which was too big so I had to band it for a few days to make it hold a smaller shape. It does stretch open pretty well and I have never worn a watch but I can't imagine the Up being too uncomfortable even if it were a bit tighter.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Update: the girlfriends Up Band took a dump on her. Charges fine but doesn't vibrate anymore. She's a bit lazy on the service side, but I'll post any good or bad customer service interactions. Of the 5 out there in my circle, hers is the only one that has had an issue.

shaolinfinest

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I used the Jawbone Up before it was pulled, I really enjoyed it. Found it was easy to use and it kept me wanting to find out my results each day. At first I did not like the alarm feature because if you set it to wake you up at 8:30am it would wake you up sometimes earlier than that. I then realized it was waking you up when you were out of deep sleep (remnants)

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Update: she emailed and got quick responses with trouble shooting tips. Always a different person, but always up to date on the issue. The responses were within hours and with no solution found, the band is being replaced. Customer service was quick and pleasant. Her new UP Band arrives next week.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
By next week I guess they meant few days. It just arrived in time for the app update. Integration is great. Easy. It's like having a new toy on Christmas.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Linking it with our Withings scale was easy. Seeing all the data tracked in one place motivated me to stay at the gym a bit longer today. Based on service, and ease of use, I recommend it to anyone curious about their sleep patterns or interested in getting started thinking about living healthier.

Sn1p3rOG

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I too am looking at getting one fo these. I am hoping the next iteration of the Nike Fuel Band will include the sleep feature.

Interested in hearing more reviews from the forum.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the Nike fuel band. There were a few reasons I chose it over the jawbone.

First was Bluetooth. I have a lifeproof case and didn't want to go searching for the headphone adapter to plug in the Up to sync to the app. Not sure why it doesn't sync via Bluetooth but that was huge factor. Nike syncs with the push of a button.

Second was the fact the Nike has the time built in. I normally wear a watch and this has replaced that.

I think for the most part they function the same way. I wasn't interested in wearing it at night to track my sleep. So far happy with the purchase.

Sn1p3rOG

May 27, 2013
Visit site
One more thing I hope an updated Fuel Band will bring is tracking for cycling. I really don't want to put it around my ankle or attach it to my shoe.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
One more thing I hope an updated Fuel Band will bring is tracking for cycling. I really don't want to put it around my ankle or attach it to my shoe.

I agree. I find its great for making sure you take the stairs not the elevator but unless your running it doesn't pick up fixed cardio machines. I was on the arc trainer for about half hour the other day and it didn't register much.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nike fuel band. There were a few reasons I chose it over the jawbone.

First was Bluetooth. I have a lifeproof case and didn't want to go searching for the headphone adapter to plug in the Up to sync to the app. Not sure why it doesn't sync via Bluetooth but that was huge factor. Nike syncs with the push of a button.

I think for the most part they function the same way. I wasn't interested in wearing it at night to track my sleep. So far happy with the purchase.

There's no adapter needed. You take off the cap and plug the UP right into your phone. I Rock a bumper, bit if life proof lets you plug in headphones then you can plug in the band. The added sleep bonus is the silent alarm. I've got a random "best time to wake me" one and a hard fast, get out of bed one set. No noise, two nudges and I'm up without disturbing the lady.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There's no adapter needed. You take off the cap and plug the UP right into your phone. I Rock a bumper, bit if life proof lets you plug in headphones then you can plug in the band. The added sleep bonus is the silent alarm. I've got a random "best time to wake me" one and a hard fast, get out of bed one set. No noise, two nudges and I'm up without disturbing the lady.

With the lifeproof case you need the adapter.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Mapmyfitness is an app that tracks cycling and various other non step activities. You can link the free accounts and the UP band information will plug it in. Not ideal but while UP isn't a one stop shop, it is able to gather information and enter it in to a great UI for tracking. Only thing missing is the time, but I've got my phone for that.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With the lifeproof case you need the adapter.

With the UP you only need to charge every 10 days, and you don't need to sync unless you want to, I wouldn't see finding a day a week to make the effort to sync and evaluate as much of a drawback. Always on Bluetooth is more of a deterrent for me.

GGRRAAFT

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Beauty of competition in a marketplace, slight differentiators matter and usually truly in better products all around. I will say Nike band looks better and looks like it would be more comfortable. But I'm all in on the UP until Apple enters the space.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
With the UP you only need to charge every 10 days, and you don't need to sync unless you want to, I wouldn't see finding a day a week to make the effort to sync and evaluate as much of a drawback. Always on Bluetooth is more of a deterrent for me.

It only syncs when you push the button to sync. You can choose to turn the Bluetooth on the phone as needed. I like to evaluate through the day. It shows me that I need to step up my activity when I need to.

There are different devices for different people. I am happy with my choice.