Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Heart Rate Tracking

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a way to track my heart rate through activities like work, rest, and exercise. I'd like to be able to get a list, graph, something without having to constantly check and record my BPM. I have -

iPhone 4s
    iPad 2
    Jawbone UP
    Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor
    Tons of miscellaneous tech stuff (I work in a large IT shop)

Is there any way to link any of this stuff together? What would be the most cost-effective to get this data together so I can share with my physician?

Thank you sincerely for any suggestions.

Josh

Global Posts
    7,574 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Not familiar with that particular HR monitor. If it supports the Bluetooth 4 protocol then there are a number of apps that will be able to access your HR data. If it doesn't but has another wireless protocol, them I'd try searching the App Store for that connection protocol.

Global Posts
    7,574 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Also I don't know how accurate it is, but there is an app out there where you put a finger over the camera and it uses that to determine a HR.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Heart Rate Tracking

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I've been researching the same ideas. Unfortunately, the chest strap and watch monitor combo I have are lower-end models that don't have bluetooth and I don't see any way to get the data recorded -

Amazon.com: Timex Mid-Size T5G971 Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch: Timex: Sports & Outdoors

I also looked at iPhone and iPad apps that use a finger or face reading but I fear that with the bustle of work and life I won't get frequent enough measurements to present the trends I'm looking for. I'd really like to be able to go to my physician and show how my hour-to-hour factors affect my results (if I have to do one more stress test, I'm going nuts). He agrees that a heart-rate of 220 BPM after 8.5 minutes on the hospital incline isn't right, but why?

So if my Timex monitor and Jawbone UP are out, can anyone suggest the most reasonably priced add-on to get me there? My physician is amazing, but he's still just a person trying to help and it's ultimately up to me to get him the right info to do his job.

Thanks and thanks again for the suggestions!

Josh

Global Posts
    7,574 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: Heart Rate Tracking

I have used this but I saw this armband pulse monitor: Scosche RHYTHM Armband Pulse Monitor - Apple Store (U.S.)

There's also the Wahoo Fitness heart rate chest band that works with iPhone 4S and up. iPhone 5 heart rate monitor, iPhone 5 heart rate strap, Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Strap by Wahoo Fitness, Blue HR