Everybody's ALL TIME BEST HEALTH/FITNESS APPS
11-05-2016 09:31 PM
- Title says it all. What are the best apps (and accessories) that you use and are health and/or fitness oriented? I'm very interested to see what others use and hope to get some good ideas.
Here's my list:
-Nike+ (Run tracker, I love being able to see on the map where I was running quickly and where i was going more slowly)
-p90x (I actually just have the DVD's ripped and stream them with Air Video from my pc, but I hear the app is great)
-Epicurous (specifically to find vegan recipes. I'm not vegan, but there are great recipes that are almost always healthy and packed with protein.)03-09-2012 08:14 PM
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk03-13-2012 02:20 PM
- With my new lifestyle (lost 40lbs since January) I have been using my phone as my primary tracking device for all my fitness needs.
Food/Calorie tracking: MyFitnessPal
I love this app. The ability to track everything you eat and all your exercise calories burned is the valuable tool I use. You can make changes on the phone or the website. You can make changes to the items you are tracking on the web site and it really makes the app personalized. For example, I added Pre-Workout and Post Workout meals. I also added Body Fat % to one of the tracked stats.
App Store - Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal
Weight Training Tracking: JeFit Pro
A friend turned me onto Jefit and I love it. It too has a web site interface that lets you build and customize workouts. The DB is huge and there are lots of exercises to choose from when you are building your routines. The workout log and timer are great and help keep you focused in the gym.
App Store - JEFIT PRO Workout
Heart Rate Monitoring: DigiFit app + Wahoo Fitness Blue HR
Monitoring your heart rate is very important, especially for those of us that are getting older. I use this combination to keep track of my heart rate and calories burned. The app is great and has a really nice graphical view of your heart rate zones while you exercise. It works in the background and will use the notification center bars to let you know what zone you are in.
App Store - Digifit
iPhone 4S heart rate monitor, iPhone 4S heart rate strap, Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Strap by Wahoo Fitness, Blue HR
Outside Running: RunKeeper (Using it today for the first time )
I have not been able to get in a run outside yet, but I read a lot of reviews and RunKeeper looks like the one to use. I have a few others that I downloaded when the prices went down and will test them all myself, but I am starting with RunKeeper. It also integrates with my Blue HR so I can use just that to track runs outside.
App Store - RunKeeper
I have also used the Couch to 5k app, the 100 pushup app, the 200 situps app, and the 20 chinups app. Those are the apps I used to get myself back into exercise, however I am using the apps listed above now since I am already in a fitness grove.
Last edited by bamf-hacker; 03-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.03-14-2012 09:15 AM
- Got a Nike Fuel Band for my birthday. It's pretty incredible as it tracks steps, calories, and something called "Nike Fuel" units. It talks via Bluetooth to your iPhone via a free app so you can track your progress. Not sure exactly how accurate it is, however it certainly can help motivate you to get moving if you see you have a low number late in the day.08-28-2012 08:26 AM
It has helped me lose over 50lbs just by keeping my honest. If you enter it and stick with it, their system works for what your goals are. It gives you a starting calorie count for the day and keeps track with what you add or exercise during the day. The best couple of dollars I have spent!
App Store - Calorie Tracker - LIVESTRONG.COM: Achieve Your Diet and Fitness Goals09-16-2012 11:32 PM
- @gizbug: I second FitnessFast. Brilliant app. Absolute best and a must have to any gym goer. It keep me motivated and gives pretty useful stats.
Last edited by nueto; 10-16-2012 at 05:31 PM.10-16-2012 05:19 PM
- Anyone used the PolarH7 heart rate sensor?
I normally use Nike + but think I'd have to use MapMyRun to track my runs and heart rate at the same time.
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...rt_rate_sensor10-31-2012 03:01 PM
- Anyone tried the Polar H7 Heart Rate sensor?
I've been using Nike+ to track my runs and I think I'd have to use MapMyRun to track my runs and heart rate at the same time. Just looking to see if anyone used it and if it's accurate and worth it.
Link to H7:
H7 heart rate sensor - Heart rate sensors - Accessories - Products | Polar USA10-31-2012 03:05 PM
- MapmyRun and Calorie counter.
coolest apps for ipad Daily Update Apps News and Review Best Guide to get the most out of your iPhone, iPad and Mac |Apps Gone FREE11-16-2012 02:26 PM
- I have been using myfitnesspal since November 2011 and I have lost 35-40 pounds with little to no exercise. I'm 24 and and have been married for five years and am definitely not as active as I use to be. So I was just trying to get back to the weight I was at when I graduated high school.
This app did the trick, and I still use it today.01-26-2013 02:10 PM
- +1 on both Nike+ Run (I use it for walking for now) and MyFitnessPal.
Working towards dropping 50-60 pounds... so far, I'm down about 5 pounds after 2 weeks. Tracking my food intake has been eye opening... and I love not having to worry about time/distance/calories burned with walking - Nike+ handles that fine.01-26-2013 03:28 PM
- Last year when I hit my heaviest weight I decided to lose weight. I got MyFitnessPal to track my calories and I absolutely love this app. It has such a great database of foods things I thought I would never find are on it and the ability to scan stuff is so good. I have gotten three people so far to start using it and I've got it on my iPhone and my iPad. Along with watching what I eat, calories in and calories burned I started to hit the gym. So then I was looking for an app to track my workouts. I didn't want anything crazy just a simple app that would show which days I worked out and what I did. I tried a few and finally used Epic Workouts, it is as basic as they come but that was what I wanted. The others were too busy for me all I wanted to do what have a quick way to add the excercises I did and see which days I worked out. It does have it's downfalls from being so basic like the fact that it doesn't sync means that I only have the info on the one device. If the device is restored and set up as new or the app is deleted I would have to start from scratch but for now it does what I need. My wife is thinking of getting a Nike fuel band so we might be getting that soon and when we start doing "Insanity" we'll most likely get the tracking app.
MyfitnessPal - Calorie and weight loss tracking
Epic Workout - Very basic workout tracker03-07-2013 01:36 PM
- iMore Community Discussions
- The 'Off Topic' Lounge
- Health and Fitness
Everybody's ALL TIME BEST HEALTH/FITNESS APPS
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD