Everybody's ALL TIME BEST HEALTH/FITNESS APPS

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Title says it all. What are the best apps (and accessories) that you use and are health and/or fitness oriented? I'm very interested to see what others use and hope to get some good ideas.

Here's my list:

-Nike+ (Run tracker, I love being able to see on the map where I was running quickly and where i was going more slowly)
-p90x (I actually just have the DVD's ripped and stream them with Air Video from my pc, but I hear the app is great)
-Epicurous (specifically to find vegan recipes. I'm not vegan, but there are great recipes that are almost always healthy and packed with protein.)

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I use my fitness pal and weight tracker the most.

Watching this thread with interest ;)

Scarlet

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Anybody have recommendations for goal setting and tracking apps? I would like to check some out. Currently I have a calendar printed out, but it would be cool if I could track my progress more easily and with graphs and stuff. Any ideas?

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Anybody have recommendations for goal setting and tracking apps? I would like to check some out. Currently I have a calendar printed out, but it would be cool if I could track my progress more easily and with graphs and stuff. Any ideas?

What specifically do you want to track? Weight and measurement or reps and weight of different exercises?

Scarlet

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
With my new lifestyle (lost 40lbs since January) I have been using my phone as my primary tracking device for all my fitness needs.

Food/Calorie tracking: MyFitnessPal

I love this app. The ability to track everything you eat and all your exercise calories burned is the valuable tool I use. You can make changes on the phone or the website. You can make changes to the items you are tracking on the web site and it really makes the app personalized. For example, I added Pre-Workout and Post Workout meals. I also added Body Fat % to one of the tracked stats.

App Store - Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal

Weight Training Tracking: JeFit Pro

A friend turned me onto Jefit and I love it. It too has a web site interface that lets you build and customize workouts. The DB is huge and there are lots of exercises to choose from when you are building your routines. The workout log and timer are great and help keep you focused in the gym.

App Store - JEFIT PRO Workout

Heart Rate Monitoring: DigiFit app + Wahoo Fitness Blue HR

Monitoring your heart rate is very important, especially for those of us that are getting older.  I use this combination to keep track of my heart rate and calories burned. The app is great and has a really nice graphical view of your heart rate zones while you exercise. It works in the background and will use the notification center bars to let you know what zone you are in.

App Store - Digifit?
iPhone 4S heart rate monitor, iPhone 4S heart rate strap, Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Strap by Wahoo Fitness, Blue HR

Outside Running: RunKeeper (Using it today for the first time )

I have not been able to get in a run outside yet, but I read a lot of reviews and RunKeeper looks like the one to use. I have a few others that I downloaded when the prices went down and will test them all myself, but I am starting with RunKeeper. It also integrates with my Blue HR so I can use just that to track runs outside.

App Store - RunKeeper

I have also used the Couch to 5k app, the 100 pushup app, the 200 situps app, and the 20 chinups app. Those are the apps I used to get myself back into exercise, however I am using the apps listed above now since I am already in a fitness grove.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I just wanted an app to log my workouts and I found Gym Buddy to be the best, it's not loaded down with a bunch of unnecessary stuff, just keeps track of your info and puts it into charts you can sync to your computer.

Wholesalestunna

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I use gym buddy and myfitnesspal. Has anyone had issues with myfitnesspal syncing correctly on an iPad though? I had to delete the app off my iPad cause it wouldn't sync correctly.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My Fitness Pal is my favorite. If anyone wants to add me as a friend, my username here on the forums is my MFP username.

I've already lost about 6 pounds in less than a month using the app. I love it.

KenL

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Got a Nike Fuel Band for my birthday. It's pretty incredible as it tracks steps, calories, and something called "Nike Fuel" units. It talks via Bluetooth to your iPhone via a free app so you can track your progress. Not sure exactly how accurate it is, however it certainly can help motivate you to get moving if you see you have a low number late in the day.

Zach7

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I have used the Livestrong App "calorie tracker" since October and I have to say that it is great! It will keep track of your meals, snacks, water intake and exercise. It has an option to track your weight and will also show you on a graph your weight loss/increase over a time frame. It also shows you the protein/carbs etc pie chart for your daily intake.

It has helped me lose over 50lbs just by keeping my honest. If you enter it and stick with it, their system works for what your goals are. It gives you a starting calorie count for the day and keeps track with what you add or exercise during the day. The best couple of dollars I have spent!

App Store - Calorie Tracker - LIVESTRONG.COM: Achieve Your Diet and Fitness Goals

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I use fitnessfast as well. It's a really good app to track your workouts and log them. For quick workouts I use fitness buddy and Daily workouts.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

johnc847

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried the Polar H7 Heart Rate sensor? I use Nike+ but want to track heart rate. I think I'd have to use the mapmyrun app to do bother the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh