Mobile Nations Fitness month: Week 3 (iPod nano + iPad 3 + Xbox giveaway!)
03-13-2012 02:15 AM
- Rene RitchieEditorial Director
People of iMore, the Mobile Nations Fitness month continues!
If you're joining us while we're already in progress, it's never too late and you can go read all about Mobile Nations Fitness Month on the front page. Here's still where all the action is taking place. This is where we're setting reasonable, attainable goals. This is where we're starting our pattern for pure win. This is where we're engaging the awesome!
Ready for week 3? Now you have a choice, you can take what you were doing for week 1 or week 2 and increment them another notch, or you can add a third goal to your first two. Again, whichever way you go, it should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.
- Start eating reasonable (smaller!) portion sizes.
- If that's too easy, start mixing in higher nutrient foods, like fruits and veggies.
A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end! While all food counts towards the total amount of calories you eat, some give you better nutrient value than others. Try some more nutritious choices!
- Do 3 sets of 25 pushups, 25 sit ups, and 25 squats every morning right when you get up.
- If that's too easy, do 4 sets.
You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going! Depending on your fitness level, you can also add other body weight exercises, like chin ups, lunges, crunches, etc. to mix things up and keep them fresh.
- Do 20 min. of cardio, 4 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything.
- If that's too easy, do 30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.
You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.
For example, you can start doing some higher intensity cardio during the length of a TV commercial and work your way up to the length of a TV segment between commercials.
Ready...? Set...? GO!
What's your goal for week 3 going to be? Pick it and stick it in a reply below, then come back every day and let us know how you're progressing! If you're doing well, share your story and help keep us inspired. If you're having trouble, ask questions and we'll be there to help.
The important thing is to do and to keep doing. Pick something attainable and then attain it!
Oh, and you could win an iPad 3! or an Xbox 360 Kinect
You, the iMore Nation, are our motivation. And to keep you motivated, we have some great prizes lined up. Anyone and everyone who participates, who shares their goals and keeps us up-to-date with their regular progress will be automatically entered to into our:
- Weekly drawings for an iPod nano. We're giving away 4 total, one each week!
- Grand prize drawing for an iPad 3 IOU! (You'll get it when Apple launches it!)
(We're also giving away an [B][Xbox 360 Kinect from ZEN and TECH/B], so don't forget to URL="http://forums.imore.com/health-fitness-forum/229880-xbox-360-kinect-giveaway-zen-tech.html"]enter that as well![/URL])
There will also be some great app and accessory giveaways along the way to keep everyone on their toes.02-16-2012 10:42 PM
- Two goals for the week. First is to force my strength training work harder this week. I do each half of the body 3 times a week. I'm going to stick an extra 5 pounds on everything this week and try to build to complete the same reps as this week by the weeks end. Week 2 went well on the cardio front, 30 minutes a day, and completed at a 1/2 MPH faster than the week before. Cardio goal for week three is to push the time to 40 minutes at the same pace.
Mark02-17-2012 01:15 AM
- Goal this week is to up my cardio. Running, five times a week now. Along with p90x, this is quite a time commitment for me, so I'm going to have to stay on top of this. Not sure if this could be a long term thing or not, but if I can do it for a week, maybe I back off and just do it once a month or something for an extra kick in the pants.02-17-2012 01:30 AM
- I have been doing great! My goal for week 1 was to do cardio 6 times a week. It's been tough but I have been going to the gym non stop since then! Week 2 my goal was to add more strengthening exercises to the mix, and I have been doing that as well. myfitnesspal app, as recommended by a person on here, is a life saver! I use it everyday to log in my food intake. I have been eating a lot healthier non processed foods and I have a calorie goal in which I meet every day.
I already notice a difference! My pants and shirts feel a lot loose! For week 3 I will still be doing the things from week 1 and 2 but I will work out longer per day to keep myself motivated!
This has been a great journey so far and it keeps me more motivated, talking about my journey and reading about everyone's stories! Best of luck everyone on week 3!02-17-2012 03:10 AM
- My goals for this week:-
1. Nutrition:- Eat 6 to 7 small meals and make sure that i eat enough protein, calcium to support my weight lifting exercises and also help me in the recovery process to be able to do the exercises with high intensity. Also to make sure that my calories from food everyday doesnt exceed 2000.
2. Weights :- I want to make sure that i lift some heavy weights for legs and back as these are the biggest muscle in the body.
3. Cardio :- 20 mins of cardio before weight lifting to warmup body and to give the best results and 30 mins on non training days in the gym followed by 20mins of yoga.02-17-2012 03:29 AM
- So far my vegan diet is going great! More than two weeks now on a vegan diet and I still don't miss the food I used to eat.
The goals when it comes to cardio remain the same - I want to accumulate at least six hours of running/biking/rowing over the next 7 days.
One very exciting thing is that I've convinced a few friends to go on a geocaching hike over the weekend. The destination will be in the mountains so we might sneak some skiing as well.02-17-2012 05:33 AM
- 02-17-2012 06:09 AM
- So far I've gone from 234 to 222 , it's not comin off fast enough. I use myfitnessgoal app to track my calories. I burn 800-1000 calories on the treadmill while consuming 1400-1800 a day. Time for drastic measures I'm dropping to 1200 calories. I want to be 215 by next week.02-17-2012 06:39 AM
- So far so good for me, I have lost 11.8 lbs since I started seriously working out on January 3rd, this contest was a great way for me to combine two things I'm interested with. iOS and fitness. My goals this week are to continue with working hard, going to karate, (only 2 times this week) last week I did 3 times (2.5 hours each night) I also want to continue to resist any tempting greasy fast food. All in all my goals for week 3 are to continue to do what I'm doing and see another lb or two come off the scales!
Another goal is to fit into another lower size in my closet...almost there....02-17-2012 06:45 AM
- Looking forward to the challenge. I have been starting a running routine for the past five weeks and would like to add a strength building.
Plan on running 4 miles, four days a week followed by the 25 / 25 / 25 (pushup/situp/squat) four sets.
I will keep you updated.02-17-2012 08:08 AM
- Local weather finally brought the winter, so I wasn't able to keep with my daily commuting y bike, but I have maintained my running twice a week for 30 min straight. My running partner and I have added a 6 part core workout to strengthen the abs and lower back. Our goal is to be able to do a V-up for 60 seconds. So far we can barely do 20 seconds, so we have some work to do.02-17-2012 08:27 AM
- Keeping up with the strength training. The last few days my motivation has been slipping a bit but somehow this morning I didn't have a problem. I think it is my sleep. So I saw someone else added a goal of better sleep patterns so I think I am going to try this. I never get enough sleep most night I am lucky to get 5-6 hours. So I am going to try to get more consistent and set a goal of 7. Also I am increasing my strength training to 3 sets of 20. Or as close to that as I can get on the push ups. They are my most challenging.02-17-2012 08:34 AM
- Also just curious but according to the weekly post an ipod Nano was to be given away each week. I have seen the results of that...are they going to be given away at the end or have I just missed it? Been a little busy so I have been following the forums as closely...
Thanks J...02-17-2012 08:38 AM
- I've managed to keep at it all week and finally took a break yesterday. Waking up to workout before work all week caught up to me and I was exhausted. Decided to sleep in this morning but come this afternoon I'm going right back into it.
I'm staying strong and keeping to eating right and getting a good mix of Cardio/Strength.
Also, I've moved into second place in my office's Biggest Loser contest. A few more weeks to go and I'm in it to win it.02-17-2012 08:55 AM
- Finally used all my winter gear to bike to work this morning. It was pretty dang chilly but I feel great. 20-25 minutes each way is a pretty solid workout that also (a) can be done in my commute time and (b) can save me money on transit fares. If I can get my sleeping under control, I'll keep this up through the winter.02-17-2012 09:01 AM
- iMore Community Discussions
- The 'Off Topic' Lounge
- Health and Fitness
Mobile Nations Fitness month: Week 3 (iPod nano + iPad 3 + Xbox giveaway!)
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD