Mobile Nations Fitness month: Week 2 (iPod nano + iPad 3 giveaway!)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
fitness_month.jpg

People of iMore, the Mobile Nations Fitness month continues!

If you're joining us while we're already in progress, can go read all about Mobile Nations Fitness Month on the front page, but here's still where the action is taking place. This is where we're setting reasonable, attainable goals. This is where we're starting our pattern for pure win.

Ready for week 2? Now you have a choice, you can take what you were doing for week 1 and increment it a notch, or you can add a second goal to your first. Again, whichever way you go, it should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.

Nutrition

• Stop eating junk food/fast food for the week
  • If that's too easy, start focusing on reasonable (smaller!) portion sizes.

A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end! If you have trouble with portion size, buy some small disposable plates to use for the week, and don't cook more than one portion at a time (stops you going back for thirds :) )

Strength training

• Do 2 sets of 20 pushups, 20 sit ups, and 20 squats every morning right when you get up.
  • If that's too easy, do 4 sets.

You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going! Depending on your fitness level, you can also add other body weight exercises, like chin ups, lunges, crunches, etc. to mix things up and keep them fresh.

Cardio training

• Do 20 min. of cardio, 3 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything.
  • If that's too easy, do 30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.

You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.

If you're ready to go up another notch, try cardio that involves more of your whole body. Hold your arms up high for few minutes, a few times, a while while you run, or bring your knees up high for a few intervals.

Ready...? Set...? GO!

What's your goal for week 2 going to be? Pick it and stick it in a reply below, then come back every day and let us know how you're progressing! If you're doing well, share your story and help keep us inspired. If you're having trouble, ask questions and we'll be there to help.

The important thing is to do and to keep doing. Pick something attainable and then attain it!

Oh, and you could win an iPad 3!

You, the iMore Nation, are our motivation. And to keep you motivated, we have some great prizes lined up. Anyone and everyone who participates, who shares their goals and keeps us up-to-date with their regular progress will be automatically entered to into our:

• Weekly drawings for an iPod nano. We're giving away 4 total, one each week!
  • Grand prize drawing for an iPad 3 IOU! (You'll get it when Apple launches it!)

(We're also giving away an [Xbox 360 Kinect from ZEN and TECH/B], so don't forget to URL="http://forums.imore.com/health-fitness-forum/229880-xbox-360-kinect-giveaway-zen-tech.html"]enter that as well![/URL])

There will also be some great app and accessory giveaways along the way to keep everyone on their toes.

cjhpe

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I will plan to keep doing what I did from week one except trying to up it to the week two goal of 2 sets each of 20 situps, pushups and squats. I will also add in the watching my portions of food. Going to be hard...

Thanks for the motivation it is definitely helping me stay on track!

J...

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to go another week not only cutting out soda but also junk food! This one is going to be tricky..

twinkleberi

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
My goal this week is to increase the reps on my strength training from 10 to 12 (doing 3 sets). I'm also increasing the amount of time I'm running from 9 minutes to 14 minutes. I'm walking for the other 16 minutes.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This week along with the 30-40 min of cardio 4 tmes this week, i am going to attempt to cut out ALL soda. Not even diet allowed. Also goibg to increase my water intake!

thekrayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
update for me. I have ran for a full mile twice this week. again, i still walk the dog twice a day for 1/2 miles walks each time.

I have cut out soda all together (before i would have one 12oz can a day and a glass or two of soda at home.
next week i will cut out snacks. (i have a box of Twinkies in my work drawer i need to finish, then no more. And i love me some Twinkies)

every day this week was yogurt or oat meal. no more pop tarts.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I want to see some better numbers when I weigh in this week, my goal for week 2 is to keep on track with my healthy eating and exercise!

Jphotoz

May 7, 2011
Visit site
P90X2 still going strong. (no pun intended)

I have been working out everyday since January 1st. I have not missed a day.

Have a great workout
Jordan:D

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Stopping the junkfood

Yeah, that's going to be hard. But Starbucks doesn't count as junk food, does it?:p

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Joining in a week late, but I'm going to do 40 minutes of cardio 5 times a week and try to only drink water, as well as cutting back on junk food.

Fokas914

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
This week I will still focus on doing cardio at least 6 times a week for 30 min per day, but I would like to add 15 min of strength training as well! I'm going to be dead but I know I can do it!! :)

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
the main focus for me has been bench/pushups heavy and losing weight, my man gut is damn near gone in just really a little over a month (using weights). My goal to have a toned chest by June is lookin more promising everyday, especially after i drop these last couple pounds. I'm at my ideal weight, it's just moreso of a toning thing.

I can't work on the 1230 calories that was recommended by MyFitnessPal app, so instead i'm opting for a little bit more, say it, 1500 even.

Once I'm at my ideal weight, Im not going back to eatign junk and not working out. I still am getting in the habit of 5 day a week gym sessions.

Last edited:

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to go another week not only cutting out soda but also junk food! This one is going to be tricky..

Yeah that was the kicker to me. I cheat a little bit with the selzer water, but at my office we do Pepsi products, which means Aquafina.. and I hate it with a passion. I have to get in the habit of a Friday workout. I've limited myself to a based format starting this week.

-No Sodas
- No Microwavable foods
- Chop't salad only once a week
- Energy bar & vitamin D pills every day
- Lifting weights 3x a week and 1 hr. of cario 3x a week.
- Gatorade for electrolytes while working out only.
- 6 bottles of water a day

It's all trial and error though. It took me the entire month of January to figure out my calorie sweet spot, but I think I'm finally where I need to be with it.

future_nobody

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Been pretty good so far. The cold weather has made biking outside really tough, but there's a slight warmup today so I shouldn't have much trouble. And with this calorie/activity app, I've been tracking my intake and expenditure, and I'm super proud to be able to say that I haven't taken in more calories than I burned since the beginning of the year.

I was pretty close on Super Bowl Sunday, though...

sawinter

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Week 2

As I started week one with pushups and sit ups and it has been going very well. I don't have a treadmill and its still a bit too cold to be running outside for me so for Week 2 I am going to opt for eating healthier. To start, I have to cut out the coffee and sodas, and maybe swap out one meal for a salad a few times a week. Here's to week 2.

druantia

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My goal is to continue to track my eating in the Lose It app on my iphone and to keep walking on the treadmill for 20 - 30 minutes every morning Monday - Friday.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR