iMore Running Group?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Apple Watch has built in GPS and Nike+ integration ... was wondering how much interest there might be out there for an iMore running group?

I have to admit I haven't used any Nike apps in some time (Fitbit guy here) but I'll definitely pick up a Series Two watch if there's enough interest from the community! Let me know!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd be interested.

I currently run with a Garmin 920XT (opposite end of the spectrum to a Fitbit) and have been looking for something a little smarter for a while. I think the Series 2 covers it for me. The only dilemma I have is the Nike edition or not...

Looks like an extra 6 weeks for the Nike models; I can take or leave the straps and faces but it's not clear if you lose any functions by getting the standard model. Really wish they were more clear about this, feels like any pre order will be a bit of a blind guess

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely in the same boat. I need some clarity as to the differences between the models. If it's not much, I'll go with a regular series 2. But if there's some extra app goodness that is proprietary that 'might' change things. Honestly though, not a huge fan of the bands on the Nike+ edition. Kind of limits how much I would wear it, and force me to spend $ on another band :)

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested. I run a lot (when I'm not injured). I, too, need clarity on whether or not the Nike+ software will be available on the regular Series 2 watches. I love the look of the Nike+ bands, personally, but would be just as happy with the regular Series 2 as well.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've just listened to the Ctrl Walt Delete podcast and they suggested that the Nike edition may have custom Siri commands that the regular watch may not get. Between that and hoping the Nike watch faces are good for running, I've just ordered a 42mm Nike watch in black and grey (which to me is the closest to a colour combo I could live with 24/7 because I don't want to keep switching straps). Now I wait!!!

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's certainly tempting. I use to be a big user of Nike back in the early days of the Fuel Band...not that it did much. I do however use Strava much much more for both running and cycling.
Guess I could just use both apps lol

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm interested. I average about 25 miles per week. I wonder if being part of a running group will be possible using software that comes baked into OS 3 or will it take an app that's unique to the Nike.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well we have a few takers :) I bet if we did a little promo we'd get a lot of interest :)

Any opinions on regular series 2 vs the Nike edition??

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Well we have a few takers :) I bet if we did a little promo we'd get a lot of interest :)

Any opinions on regular series 2 vs the Nike edition??

If I get the watch, it'll be a regular series 2. I didn't see any advantage in getting the Nike edition. Apparently the software is a sort of social network for runners, as well as an activity nag, which doesn't incentivize me in the least.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm in. Sounds like fun. And fwiw, very little difference between the standard series 2 and the Nike version aside from the bands. The Nike one will have a couple of extra watch faces, but the Nike Run Club app will be the same across all watches, and no special Siri commands. I got the Series 2 aluminum and ran a half marathon with it yesterday. The new Apple exercise app was supper accurate throughout the race.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm in. Sounds like fun. And fwiw, very little difference between the standard series 2 and the Nike version aside from the bands. The Nike one will have a couple of extra watch faces, but the Nike Run Club app will be the same across all watches, and no special Siri commands. I got the Series 2 aluminum and ran a half marathon with it yesterday. The new Apple exercise app was supper accurate throughout the race.

Nice. How was the battery life? Did you have your phone with you during the half? Congrats on finishing the half. Wish I wasn't injured so I could do one.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Nice. How was the battery life? Did you have your phone with you during the half? Congrats on finishing the half. Wish I wasn't injured so I could do one.

Thanks. Yeah, I had my phone with me, so the Watch was using the phone's GPS. I'll be doing some test runs this week without the phone to see how accurate the Watch's GPS is by itself

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I had my phone with me, so the Watch was using the phone's GPS. I'll be doing some test runs this week without the phone to see how accurate the Watch's GPS is by itself

Awesome! Looking forward to your report.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro