iMore Running Group?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That stinks... I'm nursing a minor knee injury but have an event next Saturday, so I have to push through it. I hope you're better soon!

Thanks. I also have an event next weekend. I will figure it out. Stumble through. Had my shin dry needled today. That was interesting.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I also have an event next weekend. I will figure it out. Stumble through. Had my shin dry needled today. That was interesting.

Yow! That doesn't sound pleasant!

My ortho noted that my knees were showing the initial stages of arthritis 4 years ago. But I think it's just my IT band this time (at least I hope so!)

Penguwin

VR Expert
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't have an Apple Watch and usually don't run with my phone, but I'll be watching this thread. If there's a way I can join in, I will 😁 .

Maybe I'll pick up an original Apple Watch or something down the road.

Also, best of luck to everyone on the mend for a speedy recovery!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested whenever we officially start! Anyone interested in sharing our workouts via AW?
I typically have an Android Wear (AW) device on every day... So that would work for me 😁 Just Kidding.

Will have to pick up an Apple Watch one of these days 😎.

Last edited:

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Maybe by PM...publicly posting email addresses will just open everyone up to all kinds of spam and undesirable people.
I'm fairly sure that platforms like Strava support the idea of groups which would be ideal - except the Strava app doesn't yet support the watch being a standalone GPS device. They say they're working on it but no idea if that means it imminent or months off

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah we don't want to publicly post anything - spam is bad.

Perhaps we simply put together a list of usernames and I could handle from there.

My only frustration is I wish I had the watch already, looks like I'll be waiting until end of month :/

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe by PM...publicly posting email addresses will just open everyone up to all kinds of spam and undesirable people.
I'm fairly sure that platforms like Strava support the idea of groups which would be ideal - except the Strava app doesn't yet support the watch being a standalone GPS device. They say they're working on it but no idea if that means it imminent or months off

Lack of Strava integration is the only reason I haven't purchased one already.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yup, you can create groups in Strava, so that would be a starter. It'll be good when they add the GPS integration, but I'll still take my phone with me on a run.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Lack of Strava integration is the only reason I haven't purchased one already.
Yeah I've got too much history, running and cycling, on Strava to want to swap platforms at this stage. i can see me going out with my Garmin on one arm and Apple Watch on the other until the Strava app for the watch is updated!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've got too much history, running and cycling, on Strava to want to swap platforms at this stage. i can see me going out with my Garmin on one arm and Apple Watch on the other until the Strava app for the watch is updated!

Speaking of Strava - anyone use it for running? It seems to be a little liberal with its distance measurements compared to RK or Endomondo. I did a 10K race this weekend and it would announce my miles about 100-200 yards ahead of the official race mile markers. Just wondering. ...

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Strava - anyone use it for running? It seems to be a little liberal with its distance measurements compared to RK or Endomondo. I did a 10K race this weekend and it would announce my miles about 100-200 yards ahead of the official race mile markers. Just wondering. ...

I push Garmin Connect data to Strava instead of using it directly.

The only times I've had accuracy problems with Garmin were due to user error (starting/stopping the activity too early/late). This past Saturday, I forgot the hit the button when I crossed the line and my recorded time was 32 seconds higher than my official race time

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Haha, if only I could justify the expense, I'd do the same thing!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I push Garmin Connect data to Strava instead of using it directly.

The only times I've had accuracy problems with Garmin were due to user error (starting/stopping the activity too early/late). This past Saturday, I forgot the hit the button when I crossed the line and my recorded time was 32 seconds higher than my official race time

Oh ha. That isn't my issue. I just noticed that Strava consistently tells me I've hit a mile marker before the actual mile markers.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

No I currently use a Garmin 920XT which uploads to the Garmin platform and then onto Strava. I only do one course that is measured and across 5k it varies by 50 metres at most (and some of that could be human error). On other 5k runs I do I find if I do the same run they tend to measure within a few paces of each other. I'm hoping for a similar level of accuracy from the Apple watch.
I'm only really looking to swap as the Garmin is as ugly as sin and is a terrible smart watch - in terms of measuring health related stuff, it's excellent

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh