Bicyclists unite!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I rarely venture into this area for no real reason other than I just don't think about it, but I figured I'd see who else loves cycling!

Me and my wife love going on rides and living in Georgia we have some fantastic options across the spectrum of trail types.

I currently own a Trek 7.2 hybrid with a few tweaks...replaced my old Schwinn that was falling apart and I've been very happy with it! We're not super road bike nazis...we don't do races or competitive riding, and this thing handles around town rides as well as 20+ mile trail rides (as long as the terrain doesn't get too loose). Glamor shot from when I bought her a few months back...(wife has the women's specific edition of the same bike).

7Wb

Last edited:

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Just started getting back into it, Have a 18 speed Huffy that I've been kicking around with. It is a great way to relieve some stress.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1407820580.245438.jpg

Me! I used to race downhill about 7 years ago and then stopped after my knee surgery. However I still ride the trails all the time. This is my newest giant bike that I picked up

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 62600

Me! I used to race downhill about 7 years ago and then stopped after my knee surgery. However I still ride the trails all the time.

Bad *** man...I've been thinking about buying a mountain bike for so so long, but never actually make the move...I had knee surgery about 6 months ago, and had to pretty much cut down my jogging regiment to none, and I started packing on weight...I had really neglected my bike, but realized I needed it to get a good workout without destroying my knees and feeling like a train wreck after a few mile jog. Bought this Trek in May and took it out for a 25 mile ride that same day...it was bliss, and I realized how much I missed it.

I love off roading in my jeep (sold my truck in spring as well, bought a jeep), so I think a mountain bike will be a purchase coming soon!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1407822362.985775.jpg

This photo was taken of me at my one and only 1st place finish in Revelstoke Cycle Works. Brings back so many good memories. That bike was awesome too. Back when Kona made good bikes.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Bad *** man...I've been thinking about buying a mountain bike for so so long, but never actually make the move...I had knee surgery about 6 months ago, and had to pretty much cut down my jogging regiment to none, and I started packing on weight...I had really neglected my bike, but realized I needed it to get a good workout without destroying my knees and feeling like a train wreck after a few mile jog. Bought this Trek in May and took it out for a 25 mile ride that same day...it was bliss, and I realized how much I missed it.

I love off roading in my jeep (sold my truck in spring as well, bought a jeep), so I think a mountain bike will be a purchase coming soon!

Yeah I feel you on the knee thing. I wish I had a dollar for everything I didn't try anymore because I didn't want to have surgery again, but after a while you just got to say to hell with it and move on. Best part of biking for me now is just getting out and checking out nature. I don't push myself anymore

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Trek Fuel EX5 2011 model MTB but don't have any photos of that at the moment. I'll try to get one later on.

I also collect Old School original 80s BMX bikes too and i've got plenty of photos of those.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Trek Fuel EX5 2011 model MTB but don't have any photos of that at the moment. I'll try to get one later on.

I also collect Old School original 80s BMX bikes too and i've got plenty of photos of those.

Trek makes nice bikes.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Trek makes nice bikes.

Yeah definitely. I wanted to get something that I knew I would last me for a good few years and I knew I found a great bike when I found the Trek. I had looked at a number of others, like Giant and Specialized but the Trek just seemed like a better buy with better parts.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah definitely. I wanted to get something that I knew I would last me for a good few years and I knew I found a great bike when I found the Trek. I had looked at a number of others, like Giant and Specialized but the Trek just seemed like a better buy with better parts.

Yeah, every bike manufacturer has their good merits and put their efforts into certain aspects of riding and riders. Trek is an all around cross country bike, giant I'd rank on the same level. Specialized makes "ok" trail bikes but where specialized leaves trek and giant in the dust is downhill bikes. But you also need to re mortgage your house for a good one lol

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1407824577.347403.jpg

Specialized demo 8i. That's a serious bike right there. Makes me want to max out my credit card tomorrow.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, every bike manufacturer has their good merits and put their efforts into certain aspects of riding and riders. Trek is an all around cross country bike, giant I'd rank on the same level. Specialized makes "ok" trail bikes but where specialized leaves trek and giant in the dust is downhill bikes. But you also need to re mortgage your house for a good one lol

Yes absolutely. We have zero downhill courses near us but plenty of hills, fields and woods. I have a mate with a Specialized downhill bike and he says it is great where he lives for those downhill moments but not as good for everything else.

I'm a big fan of the Rockshox on mine and having them both front and back makes a big difference on very uneven ground.

This is mine, albeit slightly upgrade from the specs on that page - 2011 Fuel EX 5 - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

EDIT to add picture into post

fuelex5_black.jpg

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems to be Trek's M.O....do everything pretty well, no real lacking traits, no real super high points...just all around good bikes. I just enjoy exercise on my bike, and a leisurely ride with my wife on a nice evening...I've dabbled with some inner city riding but Atlanta isn't really friendly to cyclists (though it's getting much better than it was even 5 years ago). There were some really incredible bikes at the shop when I bought mine, things that made be drool and just want to throw care to the wind in terms of pricing, but in the end, the bike I bought was more than I need right now, and it was the low end of the spectrum for the new models...which was fine by me, because the bike it replaced was really good at nothing, lol!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I miss this, I had a Trek Fuel 90, haven't rode in a few years, also a knee injury but mine is too messed up to ride anymore. Those where the days, I live in NJ and used to go to Phila in Fairmont Park, it's awesome. The hills and rock alone where a hell of a ride.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Nice thread :yes: I've been a long-time cyclist, starting as a kid - probably like most of us. Ridden many organized weekend tours for charity and similar rides over the years that support local non-profits, but the past few years haven't gotten much time for that with work and family. Need to get back into that for sure.

My current rides are an orange GT 3.0 Sensor Dual Suspension MTB (2011) that replaced a hard tail Giant MTB (forgot the model now) that I had for ten years; and an REI Safari road/touring bike. The Safari was something I picked up in ~ 2009 to haul the youngest kid in a Burley trailer (this is a great workout, fun time with the kids, and a good nap machine if the ride is timed correctly). Don't use the trailer anymore, but the bike is still great for neighborhood or light trail riding.

Was hit by a car in the early 90s, and fortunately was wearing a helmet. Knocked through the air clear across two lanes of traffic. Helmet shattered. The bike frame was bent, toe straps and clips snapped and bent, crank arms twisted. It could have been worse.

When I had the Giant I'd haul it to work and during lunch change in my truck, then ride around the open fields and park areas that were near my workplace. Other days I'd go into work early and leave when work was at a good spot, and then ride the open old farm fields and dirt roads near our subdivision. Used to run into bobcats, coyote, hawks, owls, and other nice scenery - all within a mile or so of our house. Those fields are long gone now, and we've since moved.

These days when I take the GT, I try to find grass or open public fields/park areas and mix that into neighborhood riding. Sort of an urban MTB mix. Makes me feel like at least I'm getting in some MTB type riding. It is good exercise, and helps to keep what little off-road bike handling skills I have tuned up. I usually fit this into a 35-40 minute timeframe. Not as long as I'd like, but about all that's there given family stuff on weekends.

Sorry for the long winded post...the topic brought it out of me :)

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just started getting back into it, Have a 18 speed Huffy that I've been kicking around with. It is a great way to relieve some stress.

Stress relief is a huge bonus from riding. One of the primary reasons I make time. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Even on a really sh*tty day, riding is an escape...I get to spend quality time with the wife and get to zone out and just ride. We owned motorcycles for about 10 years, but it became so dangerous to even ride them leisurely that they were collecting dust in our garage and we eventually sold both of them...this isn't quite the same, but there are certain things that remind me of the freedom.

Thanks for the story above Dog! Like I was saying above, I'm wanting to get into mountain biking, but I'm afraid my knees may not be up to the shock...one day I'm just gonna have to say screw it and just start, lol!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Would probably do your knee some good. I know it helped me with the night time discomfort a lot

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner