Eating healthy and for weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Since I started my weight loss journey more than six months ago I've learned a lot about eating. I've gotten recipes, developed my own tricks in regards to eating habits, snacks that will help with weight loss etc. So I figured why not put the info in a thread so everyone can learn from it and add their own recipes, tips, tricks, etc. Now I'm not a dietician and what I'm saying worked for me it might not be the case for everyone and this is with a good regimen of excercise, I hit the gym 4-5 days a week for 1.5 - 2 hours. So lets not turn this into I know better than you if something is wrong just point it out and offer a better solution. Although to my credit I have to say that since starting my journey I have lost 45 lbs so for me these things work.

To start it is critical to know how much calories are being consumed and how much are being burned. So having a calorie tracker app or some way to track calories is a must. I wont talk about it because there is a thread about fitness apps that has good recommendations.

Balance for me is the most important thing. So when I started to lose weight I did it without making a drastic change in what I ate. Instead I ate smaller portions and snacked less which was helped by tracking my calories. Now I already ate pretty good, wholewheat instead of white break, skim milk, almost no sugar or salt. My guilty pleasure is snacking and chocolates was my weakness. Once I ate one thing with chocolate I had to finish the whole package lol So keeping this is mind here are some of the recipes, tips and tricks I've used on my journey so far.

Tips
Don't skip breakfast it is the start of the day and your body is hungry. This also ties into the next tip.

Throughout the day eat every 3 hours this keeps your body from going into starvation mode which then stores sugars as fat. This doesn't mean to eat a full meal every 3 hours it just means to bring little snacks with you to eat. When I say snacks I'm talking more about things like yogurt, carrots, cellery and fat free salad dressing, rice cakes, etc. Snacks that will not add to your calorie intake drastically, aren't full of fat and that will make you feel full longer. As an example daily I have breakfast at 6:30AM, have a yogurt at 9:30AM, Lunch at 12 or 12:30, yogurt/rice cake at 3:30 and dinner at 6:30 or 7PM

Cut down on soda even diet - Drink water or fruit juices mostly water. Cut down doesn't mean to stop cold turkey or that having soda once in a while is a sin. Just keep a good balance and set a goal for yourself to gradually do it. I have gone from having 5 or 6 cups a day to 3 cups a day to no more than 1 cup a day and now my newest goal is to have 2 cups a week and the rest of the time I drink water.

Be honest when tracking calories - There will be times when you know having a snack or food will put you over your daily calorie limit. So ofcourse the thing most people will want to do is just leave it off and tell yourself that you will make up for it tomorrow. Don't do it because you are really just cheating yourself, be honest put the food into the tracker and be over. In the end leaving it off the tracker is not changing anything because the only one tracking the calories is you. So who cares if you are over it's a part of life there will be ups and downs but by being honest it gives you a correct picture of your calorie intake.

Tricks
Fat free snacks - I'm a big snacker and most of the times the snacks I would have are chocolates, chocolate bars, chips, salted peanuts, beer nuts. So I switched to eating snacks that were fat free instead, Marshmallows, Jujubes, Jelly Beans. I would still moderate it in an effort to curb my snacking habit so instead of eating half a bag of marshmallows I would have either 2 or 3 per day on the days when I felt like a snack. It would sort of satisfy my sweet tooth and instead of something that was full of both sugar and fat these were fat free. It was the lesser of two evils but I also only ate them in 1. moderation - up to the amount listed on the calorie listing of the package and no more 2. Early enough that I could burn off the sugar because the body will turn the sugar into fat if it isn't burned off anyway.

Check Chewing gum or drink water when snacking crave hits - When I felt like snacking I knew that it was either because I was sitting watching TV or I usually ate some snacks at the time(weekends). So instead I would chew some gum which had less calories or I would grab a glass of water. I did cheat every now and then like I said it's all about balance but if my calories were all gone for the day I would not have any snacks. It was hard at first like breaking any habbit but after 2 or 3 weeks I was amazed that even when my wife was snacking I didn't have the urge to snack and it felt good.

Recipes
Cucumber sandwich - One of my favorite snacks is the cucumber sandwich. Cut a cucumber up into slices, on one slice put some hummus, cut up green pepper into diced pieces, put a few pieces on the hummus. Then put some hummus on another cucumber slice and put it on top of the green peppers. It tastes good, it's healthy and it is a great snack. I make 4 or 5 and I'm good for the night

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You are spot-on. Like I've stated before, you can work out all you want, but if you desire a ripped physique, it starts with what you eat, how you eat and when you eat. I learned that many years ago. Anyway, excellent post. Thank you...:)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ricky, thanks for an informative post. I started on January 21 with a new lifestyle. My son started eating better about 6-7 months earlier and I saw a drastic change in his weight, health and energy level. At first he was very vocal about his change, and tried to get other family members involved. I resisted, and eventually he stopped talking about it and just continued to do it. As I said, I saw the change in his health, and eventually I started asking him the "how" and "why" questions.

I started slowly, but as you said, calorie counting is critical. Think of it as budgeting. Just as you can?t get your finances under control without knowing where you are spending your money, so it is true about your food intake. Know what you?re doing now so that you can make the necessary changes.

And not eating, or eating too little does much to stymie your weight loss, as it triggers your body's "starvation mode" which lowers your metabolism. You need to eat. But choose good, healthy food.

I have completely cut out all processed sugar, and am using very little salt. The key, at least for me, is eating frequently and then eating healthy things. Lots of yogurt, cottage cheese, almond milk, raw nuts, fresh fruit, vegetables (especially leafy greens - spinach, kale, etc)... and for the record, CORN IS NOT A VEGETABLE. I am eating organic when ever possible. I eat whole grains, free range chicken and eggs and grass fed beef. And my basic rule of thumb is that if my 8 year old grand daughter can?t pronounce ANYTHING on the ingredients list, I don?t eat it.

I went "cold turkey" on diet soda. I used to drink 5-6 cans each day, and just simply quit. I haven?t had one since January 19, and honestly don?t miss it. I never thought I could quit, but I did. I have no more than 3 cups of coffee each day, and many time only a single cup in the morning. I have had several days with none at all. No caffeine headaches, which truly surprised me.

I try to do some kind of exercise to keep my metabolism up - usually walking 3 miles or so each day.

I am nearly 60 years old, but I now feel better than I ever remember feeling... and as of this morning, I have lost 25.2 pounds since starting this change on January 21.

You can do it, too!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
you guys are kicking it :D I have noticed such a change and I love it. I now have energy, love Mondays because I look forward to go to the gym. Even without the gym though counting my calories, watching what I eat and cutting out soda I lost 3 pounds the first week I went from 5-6 cups a day to 1 cup a day. Now my biggest thing is trying to find foods that are rich in protien and finding recipes for things that I haven't tried. I don't like eggs or bananas but I've set a new goal to start eating them again. I wished more people would calorite count becasue juse like you compared it to a budget Fausty it is like money. Once you learn how hard it is to lose it then those 1-200 calorie snacks that take 5 minutes to eat don't seem so appetizing anymore.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
you guys are kicking it :D I have noticed such a change and I love it. I now have energy, love Mondays because I look forward to go to the gym. Even without the gym though counting my calories, watching what I eat and cutting out soda I lost 3 pounds the first week I went from 5-6 cups a day to 1 cup a day. Now my biggest thing is trying to find foods that are rich in protien and finding recipes for things that I haven't tried. I don't like eggs or bananas but I've set a new goal to start eating them again. I wished more people would calorite count becasue juse like you compared it to a budget Fausty it is like money. Once you learn how hard it is to lose it then those 1-200 calorie snacks that take 5 minutes to eat don't seem so appetizing anymore.

Have you seen this website? These guys have some pretty good recipes that generally are low fat, high protein and use healthy ingredients... I love their pizzas (crust is 2 whole-wheat tortillas and a bit of low-fat cheese to "glue" them together)... I’ve just added it to MyFitnessPal as a recipe, and then add my toppings as I choose them. And their recipes are liste by meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts, etc)... good stuff, Maynard.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Eating healthy is such an important aspect of your overall health, even more so than your workout. (I may be biased, since I nearly went into the nutrition field) XD

For the next two months, I'm on

Fruit
Peanut butter
Milk
And protein shakes.
Coffee
Water

I'm near the weight limit for my height (68" @ 169lbs), thanks to working out, so I need to drop weight while keeping muscle, and still being able to work out. It's a weird situation. Hah.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Daily Calorie Limit
The daily limit will depend on if you want to gain weight, lose weight or stay at the same weight. Your daily limit is your weight multiplied by 10 ie. 155 lbs x 10 = 1550 calories/day to maintain that weight. If you want to lose weight then you will want to end the day below the limit and if you want to gain weight you will want to end the day above the limit. This goes hand in hand with eating healthy by getting enough protein, carbs, vitamins and fat.

So we talked about the fact that we should be eating about every 3 hours. So here is how to figure out how many calories each of your meals should be roughly. We should be sleeping for 8 hours which leaves 16 hours that we are awake. If you use a calorie counter then you know what your daily calorie limit is. Eating every 3 hours would give you about 6 meals roughly so you take your calorie limit for the day and divide it by 6 and that is what each meal should be in calories. Your last two meals being dinner and snack probably you can adjust. Most dinners will be more than 2 or 300 calories so your snack will just be lower calories to compensate. For example my daily limit is 1550 calories so for each meal I should be eating 258 calories. My dinner is usually in the 350 - 380 cal range so my snack later would be 150 cals or less to equal things out. Along with this idea of snacks and more meals there are bad fats and good fats.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Since I started my weight loss journey more than six months ago I've learned a lot about eating. I've gotten recipes, developed my own tricks in regards to eating habits, snacks that will help with weight loss etc. So I figured why not put the info in a thread so everyone can learn from it and add their own recipes, tips, tricks, etc. Now I'm not a dietician and what I'm saying worked for me it might not be the case for everyone and this is with a good regimen of excercise, I hit the gym 4-5 days a week for 1.5 - 2 hours. So lets not turn this into I know better than you if something is wrong just point it out and offer a better solution. Although to my credit I have to say that since starting my journey I have lost 45 lbs so for me these things work.

To start it is critical to know how much calories are being consumed and how much are being burned. So having a calorie tracker app or some way to track calories is a must. I wont talk about it because there is a thread about fitness apps that has good recommendations.

Balance for me is the most important thing. So when I started to lose weight I did it without making a drastic change in what I ate. Instead I ate smaller portions and snacked less which was helped by tracking my calories. Now I already ate pretty good, wholewheat instead of white break, skim milk, almost no sugar or salt. My guilty pleasure is snacking and chocolates was my weakness. Once I ate one thing with chocolate I had to finish the whole package lol So keeping this is mind here are some of the recipes, tips and tricks I've used on my journey so far.

Tips
Don't skip breakfast it is the start of the day and your body is hungry. This also ties into the next tip.

Throughout the day eat every 3 hours this keeps your body from going into starvation mode which then stores sugars as fat. This doesn't mean to eat a full meal every 3 hours it just means to bring little snacks with you to eat. When I say snacks I'm talking more about things like yogurt, carrots, cellery and fat free salad dressing, rice cakes, etc. Snacks that will not add to your calorie intake drastically, aren't full of fat and that will make you feel full longer. As an example daily I have breakfast at 6:30AM, have a yogurt at 9:30AM, Lunch at 12 or 12:30, yogurt/rice cake at 3:30 and dinner at 6:30 or 7PM

Cut down on soda even diet - Drink water or fruit juices mostly water. Cut down doesn't mean to stop cold turkey or that having soda once in a while is a sin. Just keep a good balance and set a goal for yourself to gradually do it. I have gone from having 5 or 6 cups a day to 3 cups a day to no more than 1 cup a day and now my newest goal is to have 2 cups a week and the rest of the time I drink water.

Be honest when tracking calories - There will be times when you know having a snack or food will put you over your daily calorie limit. So ofcourse the thing most people will want to do is just leave it off and tell yourself that you will make up for it tomorrow. Don't do it because you are really just cheating yourself, be honest put the food into the tracker and be over. In the end leaving it off the tracker is not changing anything because the only one tracking the calories is you. So who cares if you are over it's a part of life there will be ups and downs but by being honest it gives you a correct picture of your calorie intake.

Tricks
Fat free snacks - I'm a big snacker and most of the times the snacks I would have are chocolates, chocolate bars, chips, salted peanuts, beer nuts. So I switched to eating snacks that were fat free instead, Marshmallows, Jujubes, Jelly Beans. I would still moderate it in an effort to curb my snacking habit so instead of eating half a bag of marshmallows I would have either 2 or 3 per day on the days when I felt like a snack. It would sort of satisfy my sweet tooth and instead of something that was full of both sugar and fat these were fat free. It was the lesser of two evils but I also only ate them in 1. moderation - up to the amount listed on the calorie listing of the package and no more 2. Early enough that I could burn off the sugar because the body will turn the sugar into fat if it isn't burned off anyway.

Check Chewing gum or drink water when snacking crave hits - When I felt like snacking I knew that it was either because I was sitting watching TV or I usually ate some snacks at the time(weekends). So instead I would chew some gum which had less calories or I would grab a glass of water. I did cheat every now and then like I said it's all about balance but if my calories were all gone for the day I would not have any snacks. It was hard at first like breaking any habbit but after 2 or 3 weeks I was amazed that even when my wife was snacking I didn't have the urge to snack and it felt good.

Recipes
Cucumber sandwich - One of my favorite snacks is the cucumber sandwich. Cut a cucumber up into slices, on one slice put some hummus, cut up green pepper into diced pieces, put a few pieces on the hummus. Then put some hummus on another cucumber slice and put it on top of the green peppers. It tastes good, it's healthy and it is a great snack. I make 4 or 5 and I'm good for the night

This is a great thread. I've started my new workout and healthy eating plan The beginning of this month and its been great. I just stopped drinking sodas and working out 4 days a week and I'm already seeing some changes. Now the hard part for me is staying away from the sugar lol. I admit I have stumbled a few times with trying to eat right, but I have kept up with working out. It truly is amazing how better you feel when you are getting in that exercise every day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Healthy Snack

Granny Smith Apple cored and cut into slices. 1/4 cup PB2 or Almond spread, 1 TBsp Honey, 2 TBsp Dried raisins or cranberries

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1364234028.231219.jpg

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
RellSkie believe me I have a huge sweet tooth. One trick I used was to eat 3 Marshmallows or jujubes, jellybeans early in the day. They are fat free, hit my cravings and since it's all sugar I would burn it off especially if I was hitting the gym. It does get a lot easier though I hardly ever snack anymore and when I do it's usually cucumbers, green peppers, humus or a banana or something like that.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Healthy Snack

Granny Smith Apple cored and cut into slices. 1/4 cup PB2 or Almond spread, 1 TBsp Honey, 2 TBsp Dried raisins or cranberries

View attachment 28891

Wow that looks great! Going to have to try that out. Thanks ipheuria! I like stuff like this that is easy to prepare. Another issue for me is having the time to prepare some really healthy stuff.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
RellSkie believe me I have a huge sweet tooth. One trick I used was to eat 3 Marshmallows or jujubes, jellybeans early in the day. They are fat free, hit my cravings and since it's all sugar I would burn it off especially if I was hitting the gym. It does get a lot easier though I hardly ever snack anymore and when I do it's usually cucumbers, green peppers, humus or a banana or something like that.

Dude I hear ya. Those jellybeans are a problem lol. I now try and eat some grapes instead.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yeah the time is definitely an issue. Now I have to prepare my lunch and snacks the night before. I leave my hummus in the fridge at work along with rice cakes in a drawer. I'm learning and both Pinterest and Instagram are crazy sources for some good recipes.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I talked about good fats and bad fats. So here is the way it shakes out bad fat is Saturated Fat. It's the stuff you find in butter, egg yolk, etc. You can tell Saturated fats because at room temperature they are solid. Good fats are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated which you will find in things like olive oil, flaxseed oil, etc. These fats are usually liquid at room temperature. The recommended daily intake of fats overall is 20% of your total cals.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Something new I learned is about fruits. I know a lot of people who always say I don't eat bad I eat lots of fruits every day. While fruits are high in vitamins and minerals they are also filled with fructose. Anyone trying to lose body fat fructose is readily converted into body fat. So some portions of the fruits you are eating can turn into fat. Fructose also causes your body to absorb extra fat from other meals and guess what it also filled with fructose? sodas. So keep the fruits in moderation, like I said balance is everything, just eat a a few of your favorites a single daily serving is good.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Something new I learned is about fruits. I know a lot of people who always say I don't eat bad I eat lots of fruits every day. While fruits are high in vitamins and minerals they are also filled with fructose. Anyone trying to lose body fat fructose is readily converted into body fat. So some portions of the fruits you are eating can turn into fat. Fructose also causes your body to absorb extra fat from other meals and guess what it also filled with fructose? sodas. So keep the fruits in moderation, like I said balance is everything, just eat a a few of your favorites a single daily serving is good.

My experience has shown that if I eat fruits earlier in the day, it’s not a problem because I burn a lot of it off during the day. What can be problematic (actually has been for me) is eating fruits later in the day - say after about 1 pm. The later in the day you eat fruit, the less time you have to burn it off. In that case, the sugar does tend to get stored up, as you stated.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Good points. What do you think about dry fruits Ipheuria? Are they good for weight loss? From what I read, they are good in moderation too because of the natural sugar in them.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yeah the thing I'm most concerned about is the sugars but like Fausty said if you eat it early enough you can burn the sugar off. One fruit I love is bananas because they are full of protein too. I am not a big fruity but I do eat a good helping each day as snacks.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
yeah the thing I'm most concerned about is the sugars but like Fausty said if you eat it early enough you can burn the sugar off. One fruit I love is bananas because they are full of protein too. I am not a big fruity but I do eat a good helping each day as snacks.

Ok thats what I was thinking as well. I usually get my workout in early so im not really worried about the fruit.

I just tried that apple and peanut butter with the cranberries you posted a few post back, and I have to say that was really good. Wasn't sure if I would like the two together but it turned out well.

Tapatalking on my iphone

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I definitely have to change my habits up a bit... I've gained quite a few lbs after switching over to sales (used to be a tech that had all the time in the world) at my store. I've had less time to snack trying to get sales and less time to plan.

I think a big key to success is planning. You can know all the tips and tricks, but if your planning sucks, it leads to alternatives, which are almost always the wrong things for your diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.