| || |
[GUIDE] How To Find And Not Lose Notes.
For some time I have seen user after user come here asking where their Notes have gone. They seem to disappear. I usually suggest checking their email Notes folder. But it can be confusing.
Here's the scoop:
• Apple Notes users can choose to store Notes on their device (iCloud) or synced to any email account they wish. That sync may be in default. So in Settings > Gmail, Notes may be toggled ON. If so, the email account will show in the Notes app. One might see more than 1 email account in Notes.
• If Notes users toggle ON Notes for iCloud only, then all is well and Notes will not disappear.
• If users toggle ON Notes for Gmail, e.g., the Notes will sync to that Gmail Notes folder/label. However, as long as Notes are toggled ON for the email account, the Notes folder will not be visible in Mail. To view Notes in Mail, one must toggle Notes OFF for the email account in Settings. It then disappears from the Notes app. Aha!
• They appear to arrive in Gmail as "incoming" and "outgoing" mail. It may show as incoming in the Notes folder and outgoing in Sent Mail. But they don't always show in Sent Mail.
• This initial transfer is one way only. The Notes can't be synced back to Notes without toggling Notes ON in Settings.
• Once Notes have been created and sent to Mail they are deleted from Notes. No copies are kept on the device.
• So if the user toggles Notes ON for the email account, Notes accesses them from mail to display them in the Notes app.
• If Notes are then deleted from Gmail - and many users do delete them, not knowing what they are or why they're there - the Notes are gone to trash for 30 days. After 30 days, they're gone.
Don't sync your Notes with an email account - if you value your Notes, there's too much room for user error. Keep them on the device ( iCloud ). Make sure all your emails are toggled OFF for notes.