| || |
[GUIDE] How To Scan A Receipt Using The Scannable App
Ever since the people at Evernote introduced their new Scannable app, I have been impressed with it. In fact, I use it almost every day. What I like about it most is its ease of use and flawless integration with Evernote. Since I rarely carry cash, I make 99% of my purchases via debit card, and therefore I acquire a lot of paper receipts. Well, the Scannable app allows me to scan those receipts and save them as .pdf files to the "Receipts" folder I created in Evernote. For example: if I make a purchase at a nearby Apple Store, I will use the Scannable app to scan the receipt, give it a name like "Apple Store 03/12/2015", and then save it to my Evernote Receipts folder -- all from within the Scannable app. Nice, huh? If you're interested in doing something similar, here's how:
- Install the Scannable app from the App Store. https://appsto.re/us/mVQP0.i
- After installing the app, tap on its icon to start it. It will automatically begin searching for a document to scan.
- Tap on the mechanical icon in the upper left corner of the screen. After that, tap on the "File Format" option. It may be set to "Auto" by default. Personally, I have mine set to ".pdf", but you can set yours however you like. When you're finished, select "Done" in the upper right corner of the screen. The app will return to the screen where it searches for something to scan.
- Take the receipt you want to scan and either lay it on a flat surface or hold it with your finger. The app does a decent job at editing out your fingers.
- Hold the iPhone in a position where the entire receipt is shown on the display, and try to be as still as possible. A blue tint will cover the receipt before the app does its thing...
- After it scans the app, you will hear the camera shutter sound (unless the device is muted), and the scanned image will be placed at the bottom of the screen. If you have an associated receipt to scan (a coupon, for example), go ahead and scan it.
- When you're done scanning, select the checkmark.
- At the bottom, you will see the words "Scannable Document". Tap on it to give it a custom name.
When you're done, tap on the icon at the bottom center of the screen and then select what you want to do with the scanned receipt. You can do the following:
- Email it
- Send it via iMessage/SMS
- Save it to Evernote
- Export it
- Save it to your Camera Roll (if it's a JPEG file)
- More - copy, print, etc.
That's all there is to it.