[GUIDE]How to delete the U2 album from your iDevice

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, so you don't want the U2 album on your device. I won't judge you, neither do I. It's nice that Apple have given this to us for free but I fully understand and appreciate that some people don't like their music and that's perfectly fine. We're all different people with different tastes.

So, with that caveat done with, if you want to delete the album, this is what you need to do.

What you will need:
- Your idevice
- An up-to-date copy of iTunes on your computer

Firstly, do not connect your device to iTunes yet.

Step 1 - If you go to the music app on your iDevice and you have the album downloaded, which will happen if you have automatically download purchases for Music ticked in iTunes (see Step 4 below), you can left swipe each individual track and it will delete them. Also on your device go to Settings > iTunes and App Store and untick Automatic Downloads for Music.

Step 2 - if you have the tracks on your device showing with the iCloud symbol next to them, this means the tracks aren't yet downloaded. Go to Settings > Music > disable 'Show All Music' and this should hide them on your device.

Step 3 - If the tracks are showing as downloaded but left swiping on the track does not bring up the delete option. then go to the bottom of the track list in the album and see if it says "Complete the download" or something similar to that, if it does say that, you will need to download the album before you can left-swipe to delete the tracks. Yes, I know it's annoying, I had to do the same. It will work, trust me, it did on mine.

Step 4 - Load iTunes but do not connect your device. Go to the toolbar and click Edit > Preferences > Store tab > untick the options for Automatic Downloads (PC version of iTunes) for Music. Also, untick the Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases in the same Store tab too.

Step 5 - Go to the Music tab in iTunes on the left sidebar and find the album in amongst your other music, right click and choose the Delete option. This will hide it in iTunes.

Also to make sure, go to the iTunes Store and find the Quick Links panel on the right hand side. Click the word 'Purchased' and it will take you to another screen where you may see the U2 album artwork icon. If so, there should be a cross mark in the upper left corner, click that and it will hide the album from iTunes (You cannot delete anything from iTunes but you can hide stuff).

Step 6 - Connect your iDevice to iTunes and go to the Music tab on your devices pages in iTunes on your computer and make sure the album isn't ticked to download (it shouldn't be but i'm just covering all bases). If you now sync your device, making sure that all the automatic downloads for new purchases options are unticked as detailed above, then the music should disappear fro your device, if it hasn't already gone, and will now not be re-downloaded upon your next sync.

You may wish to untick the 'Automatically sync when this iPhone/iPad is connected' in iTunes, if that is ticked, for convenience's sake in future. This is purely a preference though and should affect this.

persnickety

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I appreciate your thoroughness and all the steps were very clear and useful. Don't want my iPod cluttered up with stuff I'll never listen to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2