[GUIDE] What Features To Look For When You Want To Purchase A Password App

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What Features To Look For When You Want To Purchase A Password App

First of all, let me say that this is not an endorsement for any Password App, as there are way too many of them, whether you purchase one or get one free.
I happen to like, and have always used, DataVault by Ascendo so I am going to talk about this app because I am comfortable with it and really like it. At the end, if I have gotten you thinking about a Password app, I would suggest the iTunes App Store or the many threads in iMore that you can get testimonials from people using their favorites.

The main reason I like and have been using DataVault for so long is because it also has a desktop companion to use for syncing as well as many other sync and backup options.

First of all, what draws me is the 'Master Password' to log in as well as the clean UI and ease of use. You are able to choose from many templates, depending on what you want to password protect, and you will be allowed to choose from strong passwords, generate passwords automatically, and also password masking.

DataVault can be used for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch and YES, there is a MAC and Windows Version which you can see below for the desktop version.

MAC Version:

DVMacMain540.jpg

This is the MAC desktop version for syncing your app info to your desktop or vice versa - It is a two-way sync

• Display Items in Tree view organized by Category and Type (see screen shot).
  • Expand and collapse tree levels individually or simultaneously.
  • Define an unlimited number of Categories such as Personal, Business, etc.
  • Define an unlimited number of Types such as Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, Logins, Memberships, Prescriptions, Vehicle Information, etc.

WINDOWS VERSION:

DVDesktopV45Tree550w.jpg

This is the WINDOWS desktop version as above for two way syncing if you would like

• Display information in Tree View for intuitive organization by Category and Type.
  • Display information in List View to maximize the number of Items per screen.
  • Define an unlimited number of Categories such as Personal, Business, etc. and Types such as Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, Logins, Memberships, etc.
  • Choose from 25 pre-defined Templates or make your own, 100 icons to choose from.
  • Customize Screen Colors and Backgrounds by selecting from 6 Themes.
  • Generate Strong Passwords using options for Length, Letters/Numbers, Uppercase, Lowercase and Punctuation Marks.
  • Set advanced security settings such as password masking, master password hint and security time out.
  • Synchronize data to Ascendo DataVault Desktop (see below).
  • Backup and restore using iTunes.

There are also different views if you would like to see a tree or list view no matter what template you choose.

I would say other than the main reason to buy the app is to keep ANYTHING in here password related or anything else of utmost importance to you is the many backup and restore features it has built in that are all automatic - Set them up and forget them.

This has to do with the device backup. DropBox backup and iCloud backup. The app also restores the same way way as I mentioned before - Two way backup and restore...

Here are a few screenshots of what you can expect to see from the inside of my app in certain areas. [DISCLAIMER [All above screenshots and any listed numbers above or inside the actual app are for demonstration purposes only]

Let me take you into my actual app installed on my 5S right now to give you an idea of what you can look forward to with a Password App.​

photo8.PNG

This is what you are going to see before you log into the app.

photo7.PNG

As you can see I have mine set up in 'List View' and I DO keep everything important in here.

photo1.PNG

Going to the next screen above you will see ALL the options there and this is not even half of them for those of you already using this app and familiar with the 'Tools and Settings' you have at your disposal.

photo6.PNG

As you can tell by this screenshot there are 3 different ways that can be set up for automatic or manual to 'Back Up And Restore' the app and it's contents in it.

photo5.PNG

This is the area where you would simply go to the above screen to 'Restore' from any of the 3 backups that you use.

photo4.PNG

Here by the above screenshot you can see the many ways to 'Synchronize' as well and as stated it can be a 2 way sync from the device the app is on or from the desktop companion that you see the different screenshots for MAC and WINDOWS.

photo3.PNG

Here are some of the many 'Security Settings' that DataVault provides to make sure if you walk away for even a minute of inactivity there are not going to be very many people who are going to pick up your phone and get a look.

photo2.PNG

Just to give you an idea of the 'Customization' you can do as well new now you can change background colors or simply leave it where I have it at default just because I think it looks classy in this color.

photo.PNG

The last shot I want to show you and I think the most important is the 'ENCRYPTION LEVEL' this app goes through to make sure that nobody is going to have an easy time getting in or cracking any info you put in you want prying eyes to stay from.

Now the big question why I wrote this guide to begin with - To me there is nothing more important when it comes to technology including an iPhone. I myself have answered last month 9 questions about Apple IDs and Passwords and why Can't I get into my iDevice that I just bought from ebay, My Best Friend or where ever else they got it, Paid good money and walked away not knowing if it worked and half of those 9 were people that already owned an iDevice and just forgot their Apple ID and or Password. We can advice over and over again about what you can or can't do but the one thing you can do for sure: [SPEND A LITTLE MONEY IN THE APP STORE AND INVEST IN A PASSWORD APP AND YOU WILL NEVER FORGET YOUR PASSWORDS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION AGAIN.]

SUMMARY:

• [*=left]Looking for a Password app make sure you are able to back it up to multiple places
    [*=left]Make sure you are able to have the ability to create strong passwords
    [*=left]Be able to mask your passwords
    [*=left]Be sure you can not only back it up but also restore direct from the backups
    [*=left]You should have predefined templates
    [*=left]Last but not least you should be able to put anything of value for safe keeping and have a Master Password for added security.

Once again I want to make sure that everybody who takes the time to read this guide understands that in no way whatsoever takes it as an endorsement towards any one app in particular and as I stated I used the app that I have been using for years so I know it, I feel comfortable talking about it and can discuss it bringing out the points and features. Just about every Password app has about the same basic features and believe it or not if having to pay for the App this is one instance that I am going to have to say that you get what you pay for and try to steer away from any IN App Purchases in this instance. If you are going to be charged for the app with or without the desktop companion I strongly would recommend getting it with the companion so that you have the benefit of the 2 way syncing which is a very strong part of any Password App and in no way a gimmick. Lastly good luck with reading this guide carefully and making your final decision by going to the App Store in this case I say go into iTunes to look them up and read the reviews and testimonials because there will be more of them to read and a better way to make your ultimate decision. Thank you for putting up with the lengthy guide but this is one that is well worth not cutting any corners.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal