[GUIDE] Signal strength -changing dots to decibels

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
iPhone?s with iOS7 have little dots in the top left corner of the screen to displaying signal strength.

How many dots do you have on your cell phone and what do they represent? The amount of dots will give a general idea of your chances
on making a phone call. With no industry standards set as to what each dot represents, the variables are numerous. You are never quite sure
of your exact signal strength or just how close you are to the next level.

The signal reading in the images in this guide represents a low signal strength, e.g. the lower the number?closer to zero?the stronger the signal.
-75 would be significantly better than -113 as depicted in the images.

I will show you how to change, step by step, to a more accurate method of measuring signal strength. We are going to use decibels (dB)
to measure in units of power and intensity.

If you don?t like the more accurate method of measurement, just a swipe or tap of your finger across the dB signal and your get your dots back!

ibabygirlSignalStrength_1.jpg

ibabygirlSignalStrength_2.jpg

ibabygirlSignalStrength_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Very nice job which I am sure many people might opt to switch to this signal reading method. I am going to switch.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks rdiddy!!
Entering the Field Test mode has been around quite a long time. I also have had this on many of my phones.
I think its interesting to note that the code is quite cross platform and not just for an iPhone.
The purpose of the mode is for diagnostic statistics. I would like to advocate taking a look and 'don't touch anything else' attitude. :)

Nicely done. This is almost more accurate way to tell signal strength. Been doing this since my BB days

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What always confused me about this and this as a very good write up and guide which I already mentioned....DB for decibels always I was impressioned to measure sound as in the WHO - the rock bad being measured at over 120 DBs and recognized as the loudest band by the Guiness Book of world records. In this instance i suppose you can say that DBs instead of the dots measuring signal strength can be called the same but to me sound in DBs and DBs measuring signal strength throws me off. Oh i know yes what it means but it might give others to wonder too?? Just my 2 cents that does not really mean much I suppose. :)

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
What always confused me about this and this as a very good write up and guide which I already mentioned....DB for decibels always I was impressioned to measure sound as in the WHO - the rock bad being measured at over 120 DBs and recognized as the loudest band by the Guiness Book of world records. In this instance i suppose you can say that DBs instead of the dots measuring signal strength can be called the same but to me sound in DBs and DBs measuring signal strength throws me off. Oh i know yes what it means but it might give others to wonder too?? Just my 2 cents that does not really mean much I suppose. :)

Simply put decibels (dB) are used to measure intensity of sound or power level of an electrical signal.

stenro

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
What version of iOS was this done in? I used to have the signal numbers but I just ran Field Test the other day and now it's back to the dots. I have iOS 7.0.4 and following the steps, even not turning off the device and trying to do the home button force quit does not work anymore. When you hold the home button it just evokes Siri (or voice assist) and will not quit Field Test.
Has anyone found a way of getting the numbers permanently in 7.0.4?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73