[GUIDE] How The Reminders App Can Be Useful While Grocery Shopping

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have quite often seen people in supermarkets with their iPhones out while grocery shopping. I notice it because I do the same thing, having the iPhone there makes it the perfect location for a grocery list. While there are probably a ton of 3rd party apps in the App Store that most likely perform this function quite nicely. I have found the built in Reminders app to be a great tool. The people I have seen usually have their Notes app open and hey if it works why knock it. I just find that there are features that make the Reminders app a much easier, better choice for the grocery list.

A specific reminder list can be added for "Groceries". Open the Reminders app and tap the title of the reminder list showing. All the reminder lists will be shown, now tap the "New List" at the top or the "+" to the right. Choose a color for your list and a title then tap "Done" on the right side.

IMG_0318.PNG IMG_0315.PNG

IMG_0316.PNG IMG_0317-0.png

Most people buy a majority of the same items each time they go to the grocery store. So why write the same items over and over each time you make up your grocery list? In the Reminders app the user can go to the "Show Completed" at the bottom of the list. All the items that have been checked off and removed from the list will be shown. Allowing the user to uncheck items, returning them to the list for the next trip to the supermarket.

IMG_0317-1.png

checked items (highlighted)
IMG_0319.PNG

Removing purchased items from the list in the Notes app is also a lot more work. In Reminders a person just has to tap to check off the items. The items will disappear completely from the list after awhile leaving a list of all the things left to pick up.

IMG_0317.PNG

The reminder lists can also be shared. So if a user and their partner both have iPhones they can both see, add and remove items from the list. It makes it a lot easier for adding different things they might each want. It also makes it possible for them to divide and conquer the supermarket if that is what they want to do. On a Mac you open the Reminders app on the Mac. Point to the list to make it active and then point your mouse to the right of the list. A sort of radar icon (pictured below) will appear click it. Add the name or iCloud email of the person you want to share the list with. When they accept, the list will show up in their Reminders app allowing them to view, add and remove items. In Windows go to www.icloud.com and sign in with your iCloud account. Click on the Reminders app. To the right of the list click the radar looking icon (pictured below). Add the name or iCloud email of the person you want to share the list with. When they accept, the list will show up in their Reminders app allowing them to view, add and remove items.

2.png 5.png

Mac - Reminders app
1.png

Windows - iCloud Reminders app
3.png

Give it a try, if you've been using the notes app I'm confident this will be a lot easier for you.

posted on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice