| || |
[GUIDE] Troubleshooting Audible Notifications & Alert Problems
Troubleshooting Audible Notifications & Alert Problems
While reading threads throughout this forum, I frequently come across posts in regard to members having notification/alert-related problems. Many claim that they're unable to hear text & iMessage notifications, email notifications and alarms & reminder alerts while others complain that they are unable to hear their phone ring. Barring any hardware-related problems, here are a few things to check before resorting to restoring your device as new and/or making a Genius Bar appointment at a nearby Apple Store.
1. Check the mute switch (upper left side of the device) and make sure it is in the up position.
2. Check the volume buttons and press the one with the "+" sign to increase the volume.
3. If your iPhone is locked, double-press the home button and slide the volume slider all the way to the right.
4. Go to Settings-Sounds and under the "Ringer and Alerts" option, slide the slider all the way to the right.
5. Below the "Ringer and Alerts" option, you should see the "Sounds and Vibration Patterns" option. Go through each item and make sure that the alert tone you want is indeed listed. To hear the alert sound for each, press the option and then press the item with the checkmark next to it.
If you were able to hear the audio sound while doing the things listed above, it is safe to assume that the audible alert problem is not hardware-related. It could possibly be that the problem lies in regard to the notifications settings, so go to Settings-Notifications and then go through each item and make sure that an alert tone is listed. For the apps that have a sound option listed, make sure that option turned ON, unless it's an item that you don't want audibly alerting you.
NOTE: Just in case it is set by mistake or the times are incorrect, check your Do Not Disturb settings.
Following these instructions should help you fix a majority of notification & alert-related problems, but sometimes, something as simple as turning off your iPhone and then turning it back on (basically rebooting it) can fix the problem. Still, there are times when the settings can get corrupted causing more drastic measures to be necessary. One such measure is to reset your settings to their default points. This can be accomplished by going to Settings-General-Reset and then selecting "Reset All Settings".
Finally, you may consider backing up your iPhone via your computer's iTunes app and/or iCloud, and then restoring it as new via iTunes. Doing so will reset your iPhone to the way it was when you took it out of its box for the first time. If none of the above measures fix the notification & alert-related problems, you should make a Genius Bar appointment with a nearby Apple Store and have a genius troubleshoot it and possibly get it replaced.