[GUIDE] How to decrease usage of the home button

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The home button does a lot of things on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod). So they can sometimes fail due to over use. If you want to minimize the usage of your home button there is a setting in the accessibilites section that provides an onscreen home button. It takes some getting used to because it is on the screen at all times and can get in the way of typing and other actions. Luckily it is also very easy to move to different areas of the screen or turn off completely. So there is no harm in giving it a try. Here are the steps to turn the feature on, items to be tapped will be highlighted in blue:

On your home screen tap the "Settings" icon

IMG_0105.PNG

Scroll to and tap "General"

IMG_0106.PNG

Scroll to and tap "Accessibility"

IMG_0107.PNG

Under Accessibility scroll to and tap "Assistive Touch"

IMG_0108.PNG

Toggle the feature on

IMG_0109.PNG

For some reason I can't get a screenshot but you will now have a semi trasparent icon with multiply circles in the center. You can flick the Assistive touch icon anywhere on the screen. Try to put it in a spot that is most out of the way of your normal screen taps. When the icon is tapped it opens on the screen and inside is the simulated Home button, Siri, Device and Favorites.

IMG_0065.jpg

Home Button: simulates the home button, double tap for the multi-tasking menu, single tap to return to the home screen, etc.
Siri: Activate Siri
Device: Access to many device controls like rotation lock, volume up/down, screenshot, etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Yanks4me

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Draft: How to decrease usage of the home button (being edited)

Ooohhh! Thank you so much for letting us in on this!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Re: Draft: How to decrease usage of the home button (being edited)

I've used this on my iPhone & iPad for some time.
I love it.
Many find it annoying.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice