[GUIDE] Things to remember when selling iDevices

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Whenever I sell my iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod), and I've sold quite a few, there are a set of things I do before reloading the OS (operating system) from scratch. These steps ensure that whoever purchases the device will be using their own Apple ID for things like iTunes purchases and iCloud. It also ensures that I'm not stuck having iMessage still thinking the device exists.
There is nothing worst than reloading the OS to find your account still logged in to the app store, iCloud, etc., so these are the steps I go through to ensure that all of my data is removed and the device is ready for sale.

Tap settings.
Go to iCloud and turn off whatever iCloud items are on.
Mail
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders
Safari
Notes
Passbook
Photos
Documents & Data
Find My iPhone

When turning off the items, you will be prompted to "Keep items on the device" or "Delete from device". You will want to "Delete from device" which will remove the iCloud data from it. This setting will not affect the data stored in iCloud so there is no need to worry. Once all the data is removed, scroll to the bottom of the iCloud settings panel and choose "Delete Account" to delete the iCloud account from the device.

Next, scroll to Messages.
Toggle iMessages to off.
This will prevent the device from still being listed as available for iMessages from contacts.

Finally, scroll to iTunes & App Stores.
Click on "Apple ID: ...". This will allow you to Sign Out your Apple ID from the iTunes and App store.

With all the data now gone, hook up your device to iTunes and click "Restore". When prompted, set up the device as new. That's it. Your idevice is now ready for sale!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Draft: Things to remember when selling iDevices (Being edited)

Excellent write-up, my friend. Thank you. ;)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Doesn't "erase all content and settings" do the same?

The only time I have had legacy AppleID data show up on a restored device was when it was plugged into iTunes when it was restored.

Still a good list to make sure though.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

Doesn't "erase all content and settings" do the same?

The only time I have had legacy AppleID data show up on a restored device was when it was plugged into iTunes when it was restored.

Still a good list to make sure though.

That would erase all the data but it may not turn off the iMessages option. I started doing it this way because it ensures the iMessage option is off as well as removing all data from the device. So if the person turns off the iMessage option using "erase all contents and settings" is another viable option :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't assume everything is gone until you single, double, and triple check everything before you let it go to someone.

mack65

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yea it's it a good idea
But I had trouble resetting my old iPhone 4 to sell
So took it to apple and they were more than happy to help
15 min later clean slate with a new IOS in it

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
"Erase all content and settings" does all of this. All of the extra steps listed by the OP are completely arbitrary guys, you're just wasting your time. AT&T and Apple consider a device completely wiped and void of customer information after doing only that.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
"Erase all content and settings" does all of this. All of the extra steps listed by the OP are completely arbitrary guys, you're just wasting your time. AT&T and Apple consider a device completely wiped and void of customer information after doing only that.
I just thought of a fantastic idea. We work very hard at these guides and take them serious and the comments of our members.
Why don't you write your own and submit it via PM to the Ambassador Team Leader for review. We can always use assistance although I think personally this guide will suffice. Thank you :)

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I've dealt with, and subsequently wiped, more iPhones than you've probably seen in your life. "Erase all content and settings" works perfectly as it was designed to do. Why make a guide that includes a useless regiment of steps that accomplishes nothing more than the built-in option to erase the phone? This guide is full of something known as "fluff", it looks nice on the page, makes it look like more work was put into the article, but it's useless and unnecessary in the end.

Everyone, just use the built in "Erase all content and settings", you'll be fine. I promise.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73