[GUIDE] Resetting Your Network Settings

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Resetting your network Settings

[INFO]Time and time again, I read where members are having problems maintaining a signal, whether it's Wi-Fi, LTE or 3G, and they simply don't know what to do. Well, here at iMore, we pride ourselves on offering the best help we can provide with the knowledge we have. Keep in mind that several things can interfere with the signal and there are other troubleshooting tips to try prior to utilizing the option to reset your network settings. For example: putting your device in Airplane mode for 30 seconds or so and then turning it off & then back on causing the device to renegotiate its connections to the cellular network as well as any Wi-Fi node. However, this guide is not about all of that, but about focusing on one of the things we recommend members do while troubleshooting the problem and one of the first things we often recommend is for members to reset their network settings. With this guide, I will go through the simple steps to do just that.[/INFO]

[TIP]From your iOS device, go to Settings - General - Reset. The third option is "Reset Network Settings". [/TIP] [INFO] Do not select that option yet. I want you to understand what will happen before you select it. When you reset your network settings, ALL network settings will be erased and set to default. [/INFO] [NOTE] In other words, you will need to reconfigure your i-device to connect with your Wi-Fi network or any other Wi-Fi Network that it was previously connected to. You will also have to reconfigure your bluetooth device(s) as well as any VPN or APN connections. Some people may find it inconvenient but it is a valuable option to have because it can potentially fix any problems associated with a corrupted setting. [/NOTE]

[INFO]Now that you understand, go ahead and select the option to reset your network settings.[/INFO] [WARN] If you have a passcode set, you will have to enter it before you can continue. [/WARN] [INFO] Afterwards, you will see the following warning message:[/INFO]

[WARN]"This will delete all network settings, returning them to factory defaults". [/WARN]
[TIP]If you're certain, go ahead and select "Reset Network Settings" which should be in white letters on a red background. Now you will see the Apple logo and after that, your i-device will reboot. When complete, you will need to re-enter your Wi-Fi passphrase and the other information mentioned above, if applicable. That is it in a nutshell.[/TIP] [NOTE] Note: I'm not sure if it's an iOS glitch, but I have found that if I'm connected to my Wi-Fi with my iPhone 5 when I reset my network settings, I am automatically re-connected after my it reboots, but if I turn off my Wi-Fi prior to the reset, I need to re-enter my Wi-Fi credentials after it reboots. Anyway, I hope this brief guide is useful to you[/NOTE]

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 4S was acting wonky. Tried resetting the network settings. Phone will not reboot now. Still has apple logo with the progress line under it, only showing approx 25% progress after 12+ hours.

Will not respond to any actions... Cannot turn off... Won't even die on its own!,

dick garbo25

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi i am currently here in saudi arabia and i bought my iPhone 6 plus here last February , i want to know what if i reset my network settings what do you mean by factory default? Does it mean my current network will be lost and insert a sim card from AT&T? if that happens it means my iPhone will be locked, isn't it ? :huh:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi i am currently here in saudi arabia and i bought my iPhone 6 plus here last February , i want to know what if i reset my network settings what do you mean by factory default? Does it mean my current network will be lost and insert a sim card from AT&T? if that happens it means my iPhone will be locked, isn't it ? :huh:

It just returns the network settings back to as it was when new. When you reset network settings, you won't lose anything. You will, however, need to sign back in to your wifi. You won't lose your network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2