[Guide] AppleCare Protection Plan

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
AppleCare Protection Plan

The iMore forums are filled with questions in regard to Apple Care, so I’ve decided to put together this short guide summarizing what it is and, hopefully, answer some key questions about it. Please note that detailed information regarding AppleCare can be found at www.apple.com/applecare.

[INFO]
What is the AppleCare Protection Plan?
It is basically a warranty that extends coverage of your Apple device for up to 2 or 3 years, depending on the device.
What is included in the complimentary coverage for my Apple product?
A one-year limited warranty and 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support are provided with your Apple device.
Which products are eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan?

Apple displays
iPad
iPhone
iPod
Apple TV
Mac Computers

[NOTE]Each product requires a separate AppleCare Protection Plan for coverage.[/NOTE]

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
You can purchase it anytime within the one-year limited warranty period, but your eligibility for coverage starts from your device purchase date. [/INFO]
[TIP]Where can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan?

Apple Retail Stores
Apple Store Online
Apple Authorized Resellers
Some Wireless Service Providers
[/TIP]
[INFO]Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
Yes. You can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan even if you sell or give away your device.
[/INFO]
[INFO]How do I register my AppleCare Protection Plan?
You can register your AppleCare Protection Plan online or contact Apple at the phone number included in your AppleCare Protection Plan package.[/INFO]
[NOTE]The registration process can take up to 24 hours to be visible in Apple’s systems. To verify that your hardware is covered under the AppleCare Protection Plan, click here.[/NOTE]
AppleCare+ for the iPhone and iPad

[NOTE]AppleCare+ is only available for the iPhone & iPad.[/NOTE]
[INFO]The devices comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. It also extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone or iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $79 service fee. [/INFO]
[NOTE]Important notes
AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new device.[/NOTE]
[WARN]What is not Covered?

1. Damages caused by abuse or misuse.

2. A device in which the serial number has been removed or altered.

3. Lost or stolen devices

4. Cosmetic damages

5. Preventive maintenance

6. Normal wear and tear

7. Pre-Existing conditions
[TIP] Please visit the Apple website for a complete listing of what is NOT covered by AppleCare.[/TIP]
[/WARN]

[NOTE]For more detailed information, please visit http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf or http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf[/NOTE]

Well, I hope this guide answers at least some of the questions you may have in regard to Apple Care.

[NOTE]Note: Information from the Apple website was used to make this guide so please visit www.apple.com/applecare for detailed information regarding AppleCare & AppleCare+. Thank you.[/NOTE]

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info D, Piece of mind is worth its weight in GOLD. Purchased AppleCare+ for both GOLD iPhone 5s (Wife and I)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Even at $79.00 for the deduct. I took it out when I got my 5S just like I had on my 4S. Guess what...Never used it and the best money I never had to use..... I love Apple iPhones....:biggrin:

Calkid44

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Had nothing but issues with iPad 3's, replaced them 11 times and then finally sent me an iPad 4, worked great until the IOS 7 update, have had 4 replacements and now they are working on getting me a NEW one supposedly??? Who knows? Shouldn't have to go through so much BS for faulty products at such a ridiculous price. My wife's Surface rocks, faster, screen rocks over the iPad any day of the week, all I like about the iPad is it's size in my hands and the App Store, if MS goes in that direction, bye bye Apple!!!!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Just to make it clear :
Even if iPhone has an apple protection plan, when I drop it, and becouse of this the screen will shatter, this extended warranty will not cover the screen replacement, right?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to make it clear :
Even if iPhone has an apple protection plan, when I drop it, and becouse of this the screen will shatter, this extended warranty will not cover the screen replacement, right?
Apple care Plus will cover it. You have up to two incidents of "accidental damage" with each subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax. In short, it will cost you $79 + tax to repair the screen.

Tonya CatLady

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Is this for iMac desktops too or just small devices? Does anyone know how much for the 27" iMac for a 3 year protection? This link was provided as a "sticky" for iMac desktops, but I'm only seeing info for small devices.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234