Question on Contacts/Groups

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to consolidate contacts on my wife's iPhone, I hope you can help me with a remaining question that has me stumped.

When I started, she had about 250 contacts in Gmail on her desktop Gmail account. These did not show up on her phone, as her Phone/Contacts was sync'd to iCloud. As a result, she had about 50 contacts of just phone numbers, that resided on her iPhone and iCloud. The problem with this setup was that if she wanted to send a new email to someone from GMail on her iPhone, she did not have the 250 GMail contacts on her phone.

Now the 50 contacts on her phone, of just phone numbers, overlapped with her Gmail contacts, plus there were some unique ones (phone number contact no email). So I did this - I turned off Contacts sync to iCloud, said No to deleting contacts on the phone. I then turned on syncing Contacts to Gmail, said No to deleting Contacts on phone. At that point, she has 2 Groups, GMail, and iPhone contacts. This works good for her, as I have contacts from her phone app using the old list of 50 group, and GMail sees the 250 contacts that sync'd down. Even though contacts are not merged, she is ok with that.

Here is the problem, I just thought of this - the 250 contacts, or any contacts she adds to the GMail group, will be sync'd. The original 50 contacts that were on her phone and are now a separate group, are no longer sync'd with anything - I tested. So she would lose them if something happened to her phone.

Is there a way to get those sync'd to GMail ideally? If I got them into GMail on the desktop I could have it do its check for contacts to merge and clean it up. Can see how to get them up to Gmail though.

Thanks!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I only sync my contacts with my wife's and my iPhone/iPads/Macs via iCloud ... so take this with a grain of salt...

If I understand the issue correctly, she should be able to just sync the iCloud contacts with iCloud. In the Contacts app on your iPhones and iPads, you should be able to back "out" one more level so that you can see the separate groups.

You should have a Groups link in the upper left corner of the Contacts app... if you tap that, you should see the two separate groups...

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
That seems to work, thanks - I turned on sync of Contacts to iCloud also, and now both groups (Gmail and iPhone) of Contacts get sync'd to their respective places. Thanks!

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
... The original 50 contacts that were on her phone and are now a separate group, are no longer sync'd with anything - I tested. So she would lose them if something happened to her phone.

Is there a way to get those sync'd to GMail ideally?
Thanks!

It seems that the 50 contacts are locally saved on the iPhone and you would like to sync those to Gmail is that so? If so if you turned iCloud sync, this means that the new 50 contacts sync to your iCloud account but not to Gmail - is that correct?

obaquerizo

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
i have almost the same issue, all my contacts are in gmail, so i use my account an all are there once they are sync up, but when adding a contact it only appears on my icloud and doesn?t get gmail sync, is there a configuration method so all the new contacts that i create goes to gmail?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a slightly different issue.
My wife has an iPad Air.
Her contacts are syncing with gmail.
She wants to move her contacts to iCloud and no longer sync contacts with gmail.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

obaquerizo

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
If you wish to have all your contacts in iCloud just export your gmail contacts, go to your computer open iCloud.com and in there import all your contacts that will be it

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a slightly different issue.
My wife has an iPad Air.
Her contacts are syncing with gmail.
She wants to move her contacts to iCloud and no longer sync contacts with gmail.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

Here's what I did:
My wife has no laptop or PC. (couldn't do this on her work PC.)
I set up a iCloud.com email for her.
Then I accessed her Gmail account on my MBA and exported the contact file to her new iCloud.com email address.
She then opened the attachment in her iCloud.com email on her iPad and it populated her address book in iCoud
TIA

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
If you wish to have all your contacts in iCloud just export your gmail contacts, go to your computer open iCloud.com and in there import all your contacts that will be it

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

See my post above. I solved this.
In my the initial post I failed to mention my wife didn't have access to a laptop and or pc.
So I tried opening her iCloud account on my MBA and import the files but it immediately wanted to populate my contacts.
So that's when I decided to go with the iCloud email route.
Tks for your reply obaquerizo
Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73