Google/Gmail Privacy Concerns. Am I too Paranoid?

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have used Gmail/Google since 2007. I never paid much attention to the articles regarding privacy/security concerns. Lately though I?ve heard more and more about it. The one that really caught my attention was the comment about users should not expect privacy in regards to their emails? Really?? Google: Email Users Can't Legitimately Expect Privacy When Emailing Someone On Gmail (UPDATED) Because of these issues and Google no longer supporting push for email I?ve explored other options. (Yes I know they have an app but I like the native app much better). I?ve tried outlook.com (pretty good) and iCloud for my email, contacts, and calendars. I currently am using iCloud and am happy with it. I do however miss Google search engine and calendars.

Am I being too paranoid about the whole privacy thing? I am curious if the security/privacy concerns have made anyone else completely walk away from Google? If so, are you finding yourself missing any of Google?s services?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used Gmail/Google since 2007. I never paid much attention to the articles regarding privacy/security concerns. Lately though I?ve heard more and more about it. The one that really caught my attention was the comment about users should not expect privacy in regards to their emails? Really?? Google: Email Users Can't Legitimately Expect Privacy When Emailing Someone On Gmail (UPDATED) Because of these issues and Google no longer supporting push for email I?ve explored other options. (Yes I know they have an app but I like the native app much better). I?ve tried outlook.com (pretty good) and iCloud for my email, contacts, and calendars. I currently am using iCloud and am happy with it. I do however miss Google search engine and calendars.

Am I being too paranoid about the whole privacy thing? I am curious if the security/privacy concerns have made anyone else completely walk away from Google? If so, are you finding yourself missing any of Google?s services?

Too paranoid. Google is the most secure and efficient email provider.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Should you be paranoid about it? No, not really. Should you be mindful of the fact that your gmail is not really private? Definitely!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use GMail as one of my main email accounts... and I use Google as my primary search engine, but I don’t log into Google to do so. I don’t use any other Google services...

And remember, just because you aren’t paranoid, it doesn’t mean that "they" aren’t out to get you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you left google?

I still have a Google account, but I use it minimally. iCloud has been my primary account since iOS 5 and will continue to be. Outlook.com is my secondary/business account.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77