Google Now - GPS battery use tracking

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
We can all see that Google Now is using location services constantly. Or at least the arrow is now always on my status bar. So far this morning however I don't think my iPhone has taken really that large of hit to the battery. I'm still at 95% after going off charger at 7:30am this morning with only minor usage.

I'm going to assume Google is smart enough not to have it polling for location constantly. But is using the background locating services and getting location at some kind of set interval.

I thought we could track the battery drain and post if we notice a big hit through a few days of usage. Please post if you see a big battery drain or not.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
After one day with it, I'm not noticing any real battery impact. My assumption is the same as yours, in that they're smart enough to be pinging the GPS nonstop.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah the hit seems very minimal. Now 1:40pm and I'm still at 87% battery; busy at work not much phone time today.

But the arrow being there is annoying me.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i removed it. my OCD has been through the roof just seeing that arrow there

whether it drains battery or not, i'm done. i was fine before without it so...

mnl

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I installed the upgrade on both my iPhone 4S and my iPad4 in my experience was that it was definitely impacting my battery life. I went into the settings and turned it off so it is merely a couple of screen taps away to use it. I also think that Google now does not do what Siri does so it is definitely not a replacement. I am a big fan of the Google search app on both my devices (as well as on my PC at work and my MacBook at home) but Google now eating my battery is not a good thing.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I just turned off the location reporting in the options menu and saw an increase in battery life and Now still works as advertised

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner