Google Map Question

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
When navigating with Google Maps, the destination times/distance show in different colors (black, red, orange, green) at different points of the trip. I assume this is a traffic indicator. What is it indicating? Is it traffic for this section of the route or the whole route, or some point in the route? Anyone know?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
That does not answer my question. I might not have explained myself clearly. When navigating to a destination in iOS Google Maps v1.1 there is a time to destination/miles to destination/time of arrival number at the bottom of the navigation window. What is the color indicating? Is it traffic for this section of the route or the whole route, or some point in the route?
Here is an example of the screen I am talking about:
http://a1379.phobos.apple.com/us/r1...ced3-1f0e707657f9/mzl.kigclkon.320x480-75.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd take the depicted scenario to indicate you were 5.6 miles away from "condition yellow" traffic along your route.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I finnaly found some info on this:
"The color of the time (either red, yellow, or green) corresponds to the current traffic conditions of your route. If no traffic data is available, the time to destination will appear in grey."

This still doesn't really explain what I am asking though. Let's say 99% of your route is green (flowing traffic) but one section is red (stopped traffic). What should the color of the time be?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I'd take the depicted scenario to indicate you were 5.6 miles away from "condition yellow" traffic along your route.

No that is 5.6 mile to destination. I do know this for a fact as it always shows time to destination/miles to destination/time of arrival (you can toggle between these by tapping the text)

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I finnaly found some info on this:
"The color of the time (either red, yellow, or green) corresponds to the current traffic conditions of your route. If no traffic data is available, the time to destination will appear in grey."

This still doesn't really explain what I am asking though. Let's say 99% of your route is green (flowing traffic) but one section is red (stopped traffic). What should the color of the time be?

is this a test or something?

I'd say RED....as in red for stopped.???

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok let me give you an example.
Lets say I am navigating from LAX (LA airport) to John Wayne Airport in Orange County. That is a 41 mile trip down the 405 fwy. Now lets say that all of the freeway shows green (normal speeds) except for the last two mile that show red because of an accident. Would google maps show my Time To Destination in red, orange or green?
Do you understand my question now?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok let me give you an example.
Lets say I am navigating from LAX (LA airport) to John Wayne Airport in Orange County. That is a 41 mile trip down the 405 fwy. Now lets say that all of the freeway shows green (normal speeds) except for the last two mile that show red because of an accident. Would google maps show my Time To Destination in red, orange or green?
Do you understand my question now?

Why dont you drive somewhere with traffic and no traffic and report back to us your findings, because apparently we can't provide you with the answer you need. ???

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No that is 5.6 mile to destination. I do know this for a fact as it always shows time to destination/miles to destination/time of arrival (you can toggle between these by tapping the text)

OK then... how 'bout the color of the text is related to the explanations of colors used for traffic provided by the link I posted... if it's not that - perhaps digging around on Google's Map support web site might give you what you're seeking...

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Why dont you drive somewhere with traffic and no traffic and report back to us your findings, because apparently we can't provide you with the answer you need. ???
I have been just starting to do that and haven't found an obvious correlation yet and that's why I am asking if anyone KNOWS.

OK then... how 'bout the color of the text is related to the explanations of colors used for traffic provided by the link I posted... if it's not that - perhaps digging around on Google's Map support web site might give you what you're seeking...
That is it. We've established that colors equals traffic speed.BUT that doesn't answer my specific question which I gave as an example in post #8. If you have a long route, the traffic can vary from one extreme to the other at the same time. Does the color reflect the current area or all areas, etc. If know body knows that's fine but I was wondering if anyone had experience and had a better handle on it than what has been posted so far.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I tested it this weekend and this is what I found out.
When traffic is slow, the bottom text will turn red, which I think would correlate to slow/stopped traffic. Yellow would be slow and green is GO..

that's about all I know...

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been just starting to do that and haven't found an obvious correlation yet and that's why I am asking if anyone KNOWS.

That is it. We've established that colors equals traffic speed.BUT that doesn't answer my specific question which I gave as an example in post #8. If you have a long route, the traffic can vary from one extreme to the other at the same time. Does the color reflect the current area or all areas, etc. If know body knows that's fine but I was wondering if anyone had experience and had a better handle on it than what has been posted so far.

How can the color reflect all areas?? I mean seriously? If you are driving down the road, say on a 100 mile trip, why/how would the color reflect what is 50 miles ahead of you? It's what you are currently encountering. Now I dont know how far ahead the maps projects the traffic pattern, but if you want something like that, check out Waze or even SigAlert...

I used love Blackberry Traffic when I had my BB.. but APPL doesn't have a traffic program that comes close to what BB had..

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
How can the color reflect all areas?? I mean seriously? If you are driving down the road, say on a 100 mile trip, why/how would the color reflect what is 50 miles ahead of you? It's what you are currently encountering.

THat's what I would have thought too but in my testing it has shown orange for me while on the fwy doing 65mph. after a few minutes it changed to green. SERIOUSLY. And when I say all areas I mean to say an area on the route that you will be traveling in.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zijinqingqing555