Transfer Google contacts?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am going back to a 4S from Android, and I seem to remember reading that Exchange will not work on a personal account now. So, how do I put all of my Google contacts onto my 4S? Step by step, please, as I am dumb when it concerns IOS. Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Go to Gmail on a computer via web browser... go to Contacts on the gmail web site... click the 'more' box... select export... then select vcard... then log into your iCloud account on a computer's web browser... select contacts, and in the lower left, click the settings icon, and then select import vcard... navigate to the vcard saved from the google export... then turn on syncing via icloud...

You could also set up your gmail account to sync via card-dav - there's help available via google's support web site to do that... same for calendar using card-dav.

quamdar

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Go to Gmail on a computer via web browser... go to Contacts on the gmail web site... click the 'more' box... select export... then select vcard... then log into your iCloud account on a computer's web browser... select contacts, and in the lower left, click the settings icon, and then select import vcard... navigate to the vcard saved from the google export... then turn on syncing via icloud...

You could also set up your gmail account to sync via card-dav - there's help available via google's support web site to do that... same for calendar using card-dav.

I'm about to switch from android to iPhone (probably this evening) and I've seen both of these methods but I am curious what the difference is between the two or if there even is a difference?

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone contacts are better order and condition than the Google contacts one.

How can I delete all of the Google contacts and replace them with the iPhone ones?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone contacts are better order and condition than the Google contacts one.

How can I delete all of the Google contacts and replace them with the iPhone ones?

If you're presently syncing from your iPhone to Gmail, turn that off... then log on to Gmail on a computer web browser... go to the contacts... and delete away... then, set up cardav sync per google's instructions - and your iPhone will populate Gmail with its contents.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Turn the iphone off or turn of sync? Will it lose pre-existing push email?

He is advising you to Go to Setting-Mail, Contacts, Calendar-Gmail or Gmail Exchange and then turn OFF "Contacts". No, you will NOT lose your push email.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No - Only new email activations setups through iPhone will not work with exchange. New iPhone = No Exchange

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I did, and under Gmail I don't have a Contacts - just Mail, Calendars, and Notes

My apologies. I was thinking Exchange and not the generic Gmail setup. Anyway, when you open up your contacts App, and then select "Groups" in the upper left corner, is Gmail listed? If so, uncheck it.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
There's an awesome app in the App Store called google contacts sync that syncs all of your google accounts to to your iphone and vice versa. You can so mass deletions too. It's 1.99 but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods