Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,767 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Default Anyone else NOT installing google maps?

I don't like google.
    I don't like their business model, or the sugar coated advertising prison they are leading us to with their 'free' and 'open' (BS) services and products.

This is easy for me, as Apple maps works flawlessly where I live.
    I don't care about/don't use transit or walking directions.
    Apple turn by turn works great for me.

The only minor drawback is that Apple Maps does have less data/points of interest etc. No big deal. We managed to find places without digital maps in our pockets for thousands of years. I'll be just fine without it.

Don't be evil? Too late.

P.S. Not capitalizing the name of Sergy and Larrys beast is intentional. And no, I don't use them for search either.
    Wut?

Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I downloaded it but will probably keep using the Apple Maps. They work well where I live as well. One thing I don't like about the Google Maps is that it likes to prompt you to log in to your google account. I don't care to give them the info of what I'm searching for or my location. However I do use a gmail account for my junk email account. Friends and family email goes to my .me account.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Anyone else NOT installing google maps?

I downloaded it just to have it in case i needed it. Funny thing is that it cant even find my address.
    Twitter: @vietalogy

Global Posts
    11,756 Global Posts
    iOS Version

At first I wasn't going to... but, I decided I should actually use it before deciding I don't really like it and be able to back-up why with specific experience that can only be obtained through use of the app.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

I'm not installing it....mapQuest works for me and has turn by turn directions!
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,527 Global Posts

I had to install it. I use maps religiously for traffic data so I can figure out what route to take home each night. Apple maps traffic info was pathetic.

Other than that I have no problem with Apple Maps. I think its quite good. Plus, until Apple allows you to set a mapping application as default, I will need to keep using it for certain situations.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I installed it. But I will probably continue using TomTom because I know it works.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    11,767 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Sicks

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    I downloaded it but will probably keep using the Apple Maps. They work well where I live as well. One thing I don't like about the Google Maps is that it likes to prompt you to log in to your google account. I don't care to give them the info of what I'm searching for or my location. However I do use a gmail account for my junk email account. Friends and family email goes to my .me account.
    What a marvelous idea. Giving google all my garbage.
    I LOVE IT!
    Wut?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

TomTom uses the same data as Apple maps. Google map data is generally better. It's certainly much better at searching for local businesses in Manhattan.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I download it but have not used it ill use apple unless I can find something ( haven't happen yet ) then I got google as a back up

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I installed and deleted it the next day after trying it out.

Global Posts
    21,515 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I installed it, used it and like it and will more thank likely keep it installed. And I will probably switch back & forth between it and Apple's Maps like I do with Twitter & Tweetbot, Feeddler Pro & Reeder and Chrome & Safari.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Not only installed Google Maps and using it, but using it exclusively (ie: no need to use Apple Maps anymore). And aren't all companies "evil?" Even Apple?

As a side note, I do think it's kind of funny how some of the best iOS apps in recent times all come from Google.
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 12-21-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    TomTom uses the same data as Apple maps. Google map data is generally better. It's certainly much better at searching for local businesses in Manhattan.
    Better in Chicago, too. Up until Google Maps' release last week, I'd been using TomTom since all the back to my iPhone 3G (since it's release day years ago) and had been paying the $20 yearly traffic subscription fee. TomTom has served me well over the years but I'd say in the past year and a half or so (?), the reliability had dipped and it's messed up more than a few times. I was getting increasingly frustrated that it was telling me that a certain route had heavy traffic WHILE it was leading me into it. The last straw was eliminating Google Search. Anyway, done ranting. I'm only keeping TomTom for extended road trips (no need to waste so much data with a streaming navigation service). For everything else, I'm using Google Maps.
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 12-21-2012 at 04:35 AM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
    Not only installed Google Maps and using it, but using it exclusively (ie: no need to use Apple Maps anymore). And aren't all companies "evil?" Even Apple?

As a side note, I do think it's kind of funny how some of the best iOS apps in recent times all come from Google.
    I am not impressed with the mail app.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am not impressed with the mail app.
    Everyone (tech blogs and podcasts) all seem to rave about it. It's nice, IMO, and I do have it but I still prefer the iOS unified inbox default app (as I have other e-mail accounts beyond Gmail).
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post

I totally agree with you. Aren't most companies interested in having customers "spinning" around their apps/devices? Apple included, that's why we are here.

I also downloaded Google maps I really like it A LOT more than Apple maps since it doesn't work in the places I've been, looks really poor, provides almost no info. While Google gives very complete and accurate information. I plan on keeping it for a long time (at least until Apple maps improves considerably)
    iPhone Nanite

While it is more accurate I can't stand having apps that duplicate features. I'm a minimalist
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm using Motion X GPS, not Google maps.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

Quote Originally Posted by seashell93 View Post
    I'm not installing it....mapQuest works for me and has turn by turn directions!
    Well, I went ahead and installed it after talking with a friend who had it...it works well, loads a little faster then MQ did and does offer turn by turn and ability to save routes...will keep it for now.
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Installed it but haven't really used it. The apple maps work just fine for me here in GA