Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Google dropping ActiveSync support for Gmail, forcing new connection to go through their shoddy IMAP service

    NOTE: "...existing Google Sync connections will continue to function."
  2. #2  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Does this affect those of us who have it set up as exchange on iPhones iPads etc? My thought is no. But figured I would ask.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Does this affect those of us who have it set up as exchange on iPhones iPads etc? My thought is no. But figured I would ask.
    The article did state that existing Google Sync connections will continue to function so I assume we will be okay. On the other hand, I'd like to know their definition of "existing sync connections". Will restoring my device as new cause me to no longer have an existing sync connection and thus force me to have to configure Gmail via IMAP?
  4. #4  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    The article did state that existing Google Sync connections will continue to function so I assume we will be okay. On the other hand, I'd like to know their definition of "existing sync connections". Will restoring my device as new cause me to no longer have an existing sync connection and thus force me to have to configure Gmail via IMAP?
    Guess time will tell.
  5. #5  
    TurboTiger's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,125 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,606 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.2

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Will restoring my device as new cause me to no longer have an existing sync connection and thus force me to have to configure Gmail via IMAP?
    This was my first thought.

    Good Luck

    Apple TV
    iPhone 5S
    iPad Air Wi-Fi
    MacBook Air 13" Mid 2012 Yosemite 10.10
    Cigar Lover
  6. #6  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to sync contacts and calendar via iCloud side. Anyone know how to do it easily without getting duplicates?
  7. #7  
    Keldog's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

  8. #8  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keldog View Post
    Thanks. Seems like a lot of steps. Plus I really don't want/need the gmail app. Hope there is something else.
  9. #9  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Thanks. Seems like a lot of steps. Plus I really don't want/need the gmail app. Hope there is something else.
    Google still offers a way to sync, just not via the Exchange protocol. See these:

    Contacts: Sync contacts with your iOS device - Gmail Help
    Calendar: Sync your Apple device - Google Calendar Help

    Mail is via the existing imap way; the big difference there is that you won't get push notifications in the native app. (They want you to use the Gmail app for iOS.) And bear in mind that if you already use Exchange, nothing will change with your existing setup.
    Thanked by:
    vietalogy (12-14-2012)
  10. #10  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Google still offers a way to sync, just not via the Exchange protocol. See these:

    Contacts: Sync contacts with your iOS device - Gmail Help
    Calendar: Sync your Apple device - Google Calendar Help

    Mail is via the existing imap way; the big difference there is that you won't get push notifications in the native app. (They want you to use the Gmail app for iOS.) And bear in mind that if you already use Exchange, nothing will change with your existing setup.
    Thanks. Will look at it tomorrow. Getting sleepy. Spent day watching this new horror show in ct.
  11. #11  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Duplicate post sorry
  12. #12  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,285 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Google still offers a way to sync, just not via the Exchange protocol. See these:

    Contacts: Sync contacts with your iOS device - Gmail Help
    Calendar: Sync your Apple device - Google Calendar Help

    Mail is via the existing imap way; the big difference there is that you won't get push notifications in the native app. (They want you to use the Gmail app for iOS.) And bear in mind that if you already use Exchange, nothing will change with your existing setup.
    this is the confusing part for me. i have not read the details so forgive me. how long is this method good for? what is the cut off time for this to not change? and like mentioned already, what happens after a restore?
  13. #13  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,018 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    this is the confusing part for me. i have not read the details so forgive me. how long is this method good for? what is the cut off time for this to not change? and like mentioned already, what happens after a restore?
    They didn't mention any cut off at all, but Restores are still a question. Google didn't specify if that would count as a new setup. To be safe I'd assume it won't work.
  14. #14  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    So I copied this off google support page

    " Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.

    Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date."

    I wonder what the "paid google apps" are and cost.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (12-15-2012)
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    So I copied this off google support page

    " Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.
    Thank you, Phreddyl. Their use of the term "current" says it all.

    Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date."
    They know that people will eventually change devices soit is only a matter if time before everyone is using their preferred method.

    I wonder what the "paid google apps" are and cost.
    I assume their Google Apps For Business being that the linked page states, "Free Trial".
  16. #16  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Guess ill port everything over at some point and go thru iCloud.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Guess ill port everything over at some point and go thru iCloud.
    Google used to be my primary account, but after the introduction of iCloud, I switched over to it. I still use Google services, just in a lesser role. As for iCloud, it continues to serve me well.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  18. #18  
    vietalogy's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    795 Posts
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Don't think I can leave google for iCloud not sure how long I will stay with iOS. Very bad move on google I think.


    via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
  19. #19  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Google used to be my primary account, but after the introduction of iCloud, I switched over to it. I still use Google services, just in a lesser role. As for iCloud, it continues to serve me well.
    I have pretty much done the same. I still use one gmail email account and Google search pretty heavily, but I’ve backed away from most other Google services... not sure I’ll miss the exchange server connectivity. I’ve had my calendars and contacts in iCloud since it was launched.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    JustMe'D likes this.
  20. #20  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    Don't think I can leave google for iCloud not sure how long I will stay with iOS. Very bad move on google I think.
    via Tapatalk
    I’m guessing that was a major factor in Google's decision - to try to force iOS users to the Android platform. In that context, it was a good move on Google's part, IMHO.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  21. #21  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    7,854 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,859 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I have pretty much done the same. I still use one gmail email account and Google search pretty heavily, but Iíve backed away from most other Google services... not sure Iíll miss the exchange server connectivity. Iíve had my calendars and contacts in iCloud since it was launched.
    Same here. The only thing other than one mail account and search that I use Google for is sometimes I will go browse their Play store for music when they're having a sale and get some music. Which I then promptly download and put into iTunes and get it on my phone via iTunes Match.
    JustMe'D likes this.
  22. #22  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    3,427 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,852 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I have pretty much done the same. I still use one gmail email account and Google search pretty heavily, but Iíve backed away from most other Google services... not sure Iíll miss the exchange server connectivity. Iíve had my calendars and contacts in iCloud since it was launched.
    Do you happen to know the simplest way to move contacts and calendar to iCloud without creating duplicates and syncing with all devices?
  23. #23  
    Bro-row's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    108 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default No More Active Sync?

    I primarily use the Gmail app for E-mail any way (better functionality and more options). However, I exported my contact and calendar data to iCloud and it works wonderfully (I now sync with iCloud). I have wanted to do this for quite some time any how, this gave me the reason I needed.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Do you happen to know the simplest way to move contacts and calendar to iCloud without creating duplicates and syncing with all devices?
    I did it the tried and true old school method......I logged into gmail via a computer and exported my contacts to vCard format and then logged in to iCloud via a computer, selected the contacts icon and then imported them. Worked like a charm. Note: if you already have an iCloud account configured and you have the same contacts information in it that you have in your gmail account, all you have to do is turn off the contacts sync in the settings for gmail on your device(s).
  25. #25  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: No More Active Sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Do you happen to know the simplest way to move contacts and calendar to iCloud without creating duplicates and syncing with all devices?
    I’d simply export them from gmail and then import them into an empty iOS contacts file.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No more GPS on 3G and 3GS after update 3.0.1
    By GPSfan in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
  2. No More Biz Cards - Need App Reviews
    By Chris Hopkinson in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
  3. no more apps for me thanks!
    By rugerio in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
  4. Watch the Activation & Sync Video?
    By dementeduser in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
  5. Apple and EMI: no more DRM
    By marcol in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions