No More Active Sync?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does this affect those of us who have it set up as exchange on iPhones iPads etc? My thought is no. But figured I would ask.

The article did state that existing Google Sync connections will continue to function so I assume we will be okay. On the other hand, I'd like to know their definition of "existing sync connections". Will restoring my device as new cause me to no longer have an existing sync connection and thus force me to have to configure Gmail via IMAP?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The article did state that existing Google Sync connections will continue to function so I assume we will be okay. On the other hand, I'd like to know their definition of "existing sync connections". Will restoring my device as new cause me to no longer have an existing sync connection and thus force me to have to configure Gmail via IMAP?

Guess time will tell.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to sync contacts and calendar via iCloud side. Anyone know how to do it easily without getting duplicates?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Seems like a lot of steps. Plus I really don't want/need the gmail app. Hope there is something else.

Google still offers a way to sync, just not via the Exchange protocol. See these:

Contacts: Sync contacts with your iOS device - Gmail Help
Calendar: Sync your Apple device - Google Calendar Help

Mail is via the existing imap way; the big difference there is that you won't get push notifications in the native app. (They want you to use the Gmail app for iOS.) And bear in mind that if you already use Exchange, nothing will change with your existing setup.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Google still offers a way to sync, just not via the Exchange protocol. See these:

Mail is via the existing imap way; the big difference there is that you won't get push notifications in the native app. (They want you to use the Gmail app for iOS.) And bear in mind that if you already use Exchange, nothing will change with your existing setup.

Thanks. Will look at it tomorrow. Getting sleepy. Spent day watching this new horror show in ct.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

this is the confusing part for me. i have not read the details so forgive me. how long is this method good for? what is the cut off time for this to not change? and like mentioned already, what happens after a restore?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
this is the confusing part for me. i have not read the details so forgive me. how long is this method good for? what is the cut off time for this to not change? and like mentioned already, what happens after a restore?

They didn't mention any cut off at all, but Restores are still a question. Google didn't specify if that would count as a new setup. To be safe I'd assume it won't work.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I copied this off google support page

" Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.

Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date."

I wonder what the "paid google apps" are and cost.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I copied this off google support page

" Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.
Thank you, Phreddyl. Their use of the term "current" says it all.

Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date."
They know that people will eventually change devices soit is only a matter if time before everyone is using their preferred method.

I wonder what the "paid google apps" are and cost.
I assume their Google Apps For Business being that the linked page states, "Free Trial".

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess ill port everything over at some point and go thru iCloud.

Google used to be my primary account, but after the introduction of iCloud, I switched over to it. I still use Google services, just in a lesser role. As for iCloud, it continues to serve me well.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't think I can leave google for iCloud not sure how long I will stay with iOS. Very bad move on google I think.

via Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Google used to be my primary account, but after the introduction of iCloud, I switched over to it. I still use Google services, just in a lesser role. As for iCloud, it continues to serve me well.

I have pretty much done the same. I still use one gmail email account and Google search pretty heavily, but I’ve backed away from most other Google services... not sure I’ll miss the exchange server connectivity. I’ve had my calendars and contacts in iCloud since it was launched.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't think I can leave google for iCloud not sure how long I will stay with iOS. Very bad move on google I think.
via Tapatalk

I’m guessing that was a major factor in Google's decision - to try to force iOS users to the Android platform. In that context, it was a good move on Google's part, IMHO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711