Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: No More Active Sync?

I've been forwarding my personal Gmail account to .mac/.me/.icloud for years. I got tired of Gmail's poor IMAP implementation that continually spat out simultaneous connection, bandwidth, inbox, and server errors.

I want a unified inbox for all my accounts as well, so the Gmail app isn't a solution.

I still have my work Gmail account, but it's a paid Google Apps account, so it will still work over ActiveSync.

Feels like a very odd decision by Google. Hopefully they reverse it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,734 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default No More Active Sync?

My contacts are thru iCloud I have a iCloud email also but have gmail and calendars pushing exchange just cause I like the additional calendars that google offers like sports and holidays

So if they stop active sync I could always just add the iCal account for calendars and some other way for my email ...

I would move contacts to iCloud if you haven't already

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am trying to move my gmail calendar to icloud. I have watched a video on you tube and still have issues! I can export the calendar but don't see how to import it into icloud. The video shows file and iCal along the top but I don't see any of that. I am on windows 7. Will someone please show me the way? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Douglas Wilson
    Verizon iPhone 5, 64G and iPad 4G 32GB
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #54  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post
    I am trying to move my gmail calendar to icloud. I have watched a video on you tube and still have issues! I can export the calendar but don't see how to import it into icloud. The video shows file and iCal along the top but I don't see any of that. I am on windows 7. Will someone please show me the way? Thanks.

I haven't used a Windows PC in quite some time, but I'd like to believe that, iCloud is compatible with both Windows 7 & Microsoft Outlook. That also should mean that you could import your gmail calendar into Microsoft Outlook and have it sync to iCloud which should then sync the calendar to your device(s).
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

What gets me here is that this is just part of the little war going on between Apple, Google and Microsoft. Google is not removing Activesync off of their server, and it is therefore not "cleaning". This is also as much about Microsoft as Apple. Google is not putting any Gmail or other Google apps on Windows Phone or Windows 8, which is crazy. They want to force you to use a combo of IMAP, CardDav and CalDav or use their apps. In the case of Windows, you cannot use CardDav or CalDav, and if there are no Google apps, you are screwed.

I like to keep my platform options open, and use services I can apply to almost any device. I use Macs, iPads, iPhones, Android, and Windows Devices (phones, tablets and PC's). Gmail used to work equally well on all three. Google just changed that. Outlook.com / Hotmail works well on all platforms. I may just switch over since I still have accounts on both. iCloud is only good if you plan to use all Apple devices, and I don't plan to do that.

It is a shame!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Is there even a reason to have a gmail account anymore, or is there a fundamental benefit which makes gmail better than something similar such as iCloud? I find this interesting, but I'm just curious. I understand that iCloud is only made for Apple devices, and that might be a reason to keep gmail, but most people on this thread are likely surrounded by iDevices so what keeps them (you) attached to gmail over iCloud?

Please don't mistake this as being cynical, I have a gmail that I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger and fully convert to iCloud, so if I'm missing something please help me out.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

It's not true that iCloud is completely restricted to Apple devices. iCloud mail at least uses a standard imap protocol, so you could have iCloud email on a Google or Microsoft device. And of course the website is open to all. Not sure if/how contacts and calendar would sync. PhotoStream, Reminders, and Notes are definitely tied to Apple devices.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by derickson328 View Post
    Is there even a reason to have a gmail account anymore, or is there a fundamental benefit which makes gmail better than something similar such as iCloud? I find this interesting, but I'm just curious. I understand that iCloud is only made for Apple devices, and that might be a reason to keep gmail, but most people on this thread are likely surrounded by iDevices so what keeps them (you) attached to gmail over iCloud?

Please don't mistake this as being cynical, I have a gmail that I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger and fully convert to iCloud, so if I'm missing something please help me out.
    For me it's consistency--iMessage has been flaky a LOT for me, and I just don't trust Apple to keep everything up and running as well as Google has done for me. Maybe at some point, but not yet.
    Thanked by:
    derickson328 (12-18-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,734 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post

Last I checked you can not import on a windows machine only on a Mac using iCal ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Last I checked you can not import on a windows machine only on a Mac using iCal ..

You can import the calendar into Outlook and then use iCloud control panel to sync Outlook calendars with iCloud.

You may also be able import the calendar in iCloud.com.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (12-18-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,734 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    You can import the calendar into Outlook and then use iCloud control panel to sync Outlook calendars with iCloud.

You may also be able import the calendar in iCloud.com.
    If you have outlook lol I think outlook 2010 and newer last I looked you could not import calendars into iCloud via the website .. Contacts you can thou

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #62  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you have outlook lol I think outlook 2010 and newer last I looked you could not import calendars into iCloud via the website .. Contacts you can thou

That is not what she's saying. You *should* be able to export your Google calendar and then import it into Microsoft Outlook and then have Microsoft Outlook sync to iCloud which, in turn, *should* sync the calendar to your i-device(s).
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,734 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    That is not what she's saying. You *should* be able to export your Google calendar and then import it into Microsoft Outlook and then have Microsoft Outlook sync to iCloud which, in turn, *should* sync the calendar to your i-device(s).
    Ya you can do it that way but you must have outlook to make that happen .. No outlook no go

No way to do it via web atleast on windows

14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #64  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ya you can do it that way but you must have outlook to make that happen .. No outlook no go

No way to do it via web atleast on windows

Okay, thanks...
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts

Exporting & importing the contacts is a piece of cake, but not so much the calendar unless you have a Mac. With the Mac, you can simply import your calendar into iCal and if iCal is synced with iCloud, there is nothing more to do. The imported calendar will automatically appear on your i-device. I love it. The hardest part for me is remembering that not everyone uses Mac computers and sometime it causes me to eat crow...hahaha
    I uses the Mac address book to switch from Google Contacts to iCloud about a year ago. How well do emailed calendar appointments work if you use iCloud for the Calendar and gmail for the mail?

The hard part for me is understanding why someone wouldn't use a Mac computer, unless they use a work computer (hopefully business use only).
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #66  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I uses the Mac address book to switch from Google Contacts to iCloud about a year ago. How well do emailed calendar appointments work if you use iCloud for the Calendar and gmail for the mail?
    I've never had a problems sending or receiving calendar invites via iCloud. The people I sent them to are able to accept and have the invite places into their calendar and vice versa. Also, just before responding to your post, I sent a calendar invite to my gmail account and when I received the alert, I accepted and then the invite was automatically placed in my Google calendar so to answer your question, it works well...

The hard part for me is understanding why someone wouldn't use a Mac computer, unless they use a work computer (hopefully business use only).
    Macs don't appeal to everyone and the same goes for Windows and Linux. I've used all three but basically for the past (might as well say) 4 years, I've been exclusively using a Mac. I'd have to re-learn Linux and I wouldn't be as fluid with Windows as I once was. I'm definitely a Mac-convert...
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

As has been stated, I don't use iCloud because it only works in iDevices. Gmail provided a more universal solution. I have also had my gmail address since day one it became available. I don't like changing addresses often. This move ticks me off in a big way as it is all about the war between the companies.

In terms of a Mac, I have a MacBook Pro at home. I could use Windows or a Mac, and I think both have pros and cons. Usually people who take a position one is far superior to the other don't know the other. Both have come a long way in the last decade. I like to be device and OS flexible in terms of email, calendar and contacts.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,323 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've been reading about this change that Google has decided to make, and I even posted a thread about this, too. Well, before someone pointed me to this thread.

Anyway, for me, I think my solution is to use my Google Apps domain. I'd stopped using it as my main account for a while. But, since I'm a gadget person, and constantly trying different OS', this would probably be the best solution for me.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,323 Global Posts
    iOS Version

After all that, I've decided to simply switch to iCloud. Boom!
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,323 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Less than 24 hours later I'm back on my Google Apps account. I think it is best to keep it there, versus giving everyone a new email address.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #71  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Less than 24 hours later I'm back on my Google Apps account. I think it is best to keep it there, versus giving everyone a new email address.
    Keep them both! You can always initiate an email message from your iCloud account and any replies will be to it as well. If someone initiates a message for you, it will be to your Gmail account with the exception of the smart ones who will add your iCloud account to their address book and use it...... You can also give your iCloud email address to your most trusted recipients or family only.
    Thanked by:
    naviwilliams (01-02-2013)
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,323 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Flipping brilliant idea!

Keep them both! You can always initiate an email message from your iCloud account and any replies will be to it as well. If someone initiates a message for you, it will be to your Gmail account with the exception of the smart ones who will add your iCloud account to their address book and use it...... You can also give your iCloud email address to your most trusted recipients or family only.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #73  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Flipping brilliant idea!
    (Laughing)...glad to be if service, sir.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,253 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So are we sure that after the 31st existing Google Sync accounts will still function? What if I restore my iPhone and try to set it up again?

I installed the Gmail app but I don't much care for it. I like the native iOS mail app and all my mail in one place.
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #75  

Global Posts
    17,419 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    So are we sure that after the 31st existing Google Sync accounts will still function? What if I restore my iPhone and try to set it up again?

I installed the Gmail app but I don't much care for it. I like the native iOS mail app and all my mail in one place.
    It is my understanding that although your current setup will continue working after January 31st, whenever you attempt to set it up again, you will have to use an alternate method or use the Gmail app.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast