No More Active Sync?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
JMD,

I'm having issues with contacts.
I have triple contacts on iPhone & iPad. No biggie, I'm sure I clicked too many times.

But my MacBook Air is not syncing with iCloud Contacts.
please list what my settings should be in case I missed something.

TIA

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,

I'm having issues with contacts.
I have triples contacts on iPhone & iPad. No biggie, I'm sure I clicked too many times.

But my MacBook Air is not syncing with iCloud Contacts.
please list what my settings should be in case I missed something.

TIA
First things first....Go to your MacBook "System Preferences" and select iCloud. Now make sure that you are logged into iCloud AND there is a checkmark in the box next to the item(s) you want to sync. See the attached screenshot.
Now as for your triple entries, that is more than likely do to you having contacts set to sync with all of your configured email accounts. You only need one and I recommend it be your iCloud contacts. You can use them no matter which email account you compose a message from. If that is the case, all you have to do is go to Settings-Mail, Contacts, Calendars on your iPhone, or iPad and uncheck the box next to contacts in all of your configured email accounts except iCloud. That should take care of you unless I misread your post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.32.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.32.20 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 94

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
JMD,
I am signed into iCloud on my MBA.
Any other suggestion to trouble shoot my MBA contacts with iCloud.

Multiple Contacts on iPhone & iPad
I only have one email account. It gmail
Everything is set to sync to iCloud except email.

I just unchecked then checked Contacts in iCloud MBA Preferences. It's indicates it's setting up so maybe I'll see some progress. I did not see this before when I initially set it to sync to iCloud.

If this doesn't work, how so I delete contacts from all devices, iCloud and MBA.

Then I'll just try the export / import route again.

TIA

Edit: MBA is now syncing to iCloud. I did not have "All iCloud" highlighted on MBA Calendar. (Didn't know that setting was there.

So the only issue I have is duplicate contacts on all device including MBA

TIA

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
I am signed into iCloud on my MBA.
Great :)
Any other suggestion to trouble shoot my MBA contacts with iCloud.
Yes. On your MacBook, initiate the Contacts app. At the top of the screen, select "Contacts" and then select "Preferences". Now select "Accounts". How many accounts does it list? If you only want to use iCloud, remove all the others in the list, leaving "iCloud" and "On my Mac" (local). If you click on "iCloud", make sure that there's a checkmate in the box next to "Enable this account". If you click on "On My Mac", make sure the is no checkmate in the box next to "Synchronize with Google".

Multiple Contacts on iPhone & iPad
This may iron itself out with the above instructions. If not AND if no other contacts are set up to sync on your iPhone & iPad, then login to iCloud online via a computer and manually delete the duplicate entries. The corrections will auto sync to your devices.
I only have one email account. It gmail
Everything is set to sync to iCloud except email.
Great

I just unchecked then checked Contacts in iCloud MBA Preferences. It's indicates it's setting up so maybe I'll see some progress. I did not see this before when I initially set it to sync to iCloud.
Keep your fingers crossed. Hahaha

If this doesn't work, how so I delete contacts from all devices, iCloud and MBA.
On your devices, simply uncheck Contacts in the iCloud settings.

Then I'll just try the export / import route again.
Sounds like a plan, my friend. Good luck.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
JMD,

All is well now.

MBA is now syncing to iCloud. I did not have "All iCloud" highlighted on MBA Calendar. (Didn't know that setting was there.)

Deleting the duplicate contacts now.

Tks for your help.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,

All is well now.

MBA is now syncing to iCloud. I did not have "All iCloud" highlighted on MBA Calendar. (Didn't know that setting was there.)

Deleting the duplicate contacts now.

Tks for your help.
Good Luck

I'm glad you got it all taken care of, my friend. :D Take care and have a good night.

crackcookie

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they are getting serious, I saw an article about Google cleaning up some IP's so I think they are dropping this from all phones that aren't Android....a shame since Android phones are updated so haphazardly

crackcookie

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they are getting serious, I saw an article about Google cleaning up some IP's so I think they are dropping this from all phones that aren't Android....a shame since Android phones are updated so haphazardly

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I've been forwarding my personal Gmail account to .mac/.me/.icloud for years. I got tired of Gmail's poor IMAP implementation that continually spat out simultaneous connection, bandwidth, inbox, and server errors.

I want a unified inbox for all my accounts as well, so the Gmail app isn't a solution.

I still have my work Gmail account, but it's a paid Google Apps account, so it will still work over ActiveSync.

Feels like a very odd decision by Google. Hopefully they reverse it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My contacts are thru iCloud I have a iCloud email also but have gmail and calendars pushing exchange just cause I like the additional calendars that google offers like sports and holidays

So if they stop active sync I could always just add the iCal account for calendars and some other way for my email ...

I would move contacts to iCloud if you haven't already

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to move my gmail calendar to icloud. I have watched a video on you tube and still have issues! I can export the calendar but don't see how to import it into icloud. The video shows file and iCal along the top but I don't see any of that. I am on windows 7. Will someone please show me the way? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to move my gmail calendar to icloud. I have watched a video on you tube and still have issues! I can export the calendar but don't see how to import it into icloud. The video shows file and iCal along the top but I don't see any of that. I am on windows 7. Will someone please show me the way? Thanks.

I haven't used a Windows PC in quite some time, but I'd like to believe that, iCloud is compatible with both Windows 7 & Microsoft Outlook. That also should mean that you could import your gmail calendar into Microsoft Outlook and have it sync to iCloud which should then sync the calendar to your device(s).

Last edited:

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
What gets me here is that this is just part of the little war going on between Apple, Google and Microsoft. Google is not removing Activesync off of their server, and it is therefore not "cleaning". This is also as much about Microsoft as Apple. Google is not putting any Gmail or other Google apps on Windows Phone or Windows 8, which is crazy. They want to force you to use a combo of IMAP, CardDav and CalDav or use their apps. In the case of Windows, you cannot use CardDav or CalDav, and if there are no Google apps, you are screwed.

I like to keep my platform options open, and use services I can apply to almost any device. I use Macs, iPads, iPhones, Android, and Windows Devices (phones, tablets and PC's). Gmail used to work equally well on all three. Google just changed that. Outlook.com / Hotmail works well on all platforms. I may just switch over since I still have accounts on both. iCloud is only good if you plan to use all Apple devices, and I don't plan to do that.

It is a shame!

derickson328

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there even a reason to have a gmail account anymore, or is there a fundamental benefit which makes gmail better than something similar such as iCloud? I find this interesting, but I'm just curious. I understand that iCloud is only made for Apple devices, and that might be a reason to keep gmail, but most people on this thread are likely surrounded by iDevices so what keeps them (you) attached to gmail over iCloud?

Please don't mistake this as being cynical, I have a gmail that I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger and fully convert to iCloud, so if I'm missing something please help me out.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there even a reason to have a gmail account anymore, or is there a fundamental benefit which makes gmail better than something similar such as iCloud? I find this interesting, but I'm just curious. I understand that iCloud is only made for Apple devices, and that might be a reason to keep gmail, but most people on this thread are likely surrounded by iDevices so what keeps them (you) attached to gmail over iCloud?

Please don't mistake this as being cynical, I have a gmail that I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger and fully convert to iCloud, so if I'm missing something please help me out.

For me it's consistency--iMessage has been flaky a LOT for me, and I just don't trust Apple to keep everything up and running as well as Google has done for me. Maybe at some point, but not yet.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Last I checked you can not import on a windows machine only on a Mac using iCal ..

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can import the calendar into Outlook and then use iCloud control panel to sync Outlook calendars with iCloud.

You may also be able import the calendar in iCloud.com.

If you have outlook lol I think outlook 2010 and newer last I looked you could not import calendars into iCloud via the website .. Contacts you can thou

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have outlook lol I think outlook 2010 and newer last I looked you could not import calendars into iCloud via the website .. Contacts you can thou

That is not what she's saying. You *should* be able to export your Google calendar and then import it into Microsoft Outlook and then have Microsoft Outlook sync to iCloud which, in turn, *should* sync the calendar to your i-device(s).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That is not what she's saying. You *should* be able to export your Google calendar and then import it into Microsoft Outlook and then have Microsoft Outlook sync to iCloud which, in turn, *should* sync the calendar to your i-device(s).

Ya you can do it that way but you must have outlook to make that happen .. No outlook no go

No way to do it via web atleast on windows

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711