Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default Does Gmail use storage?

Please forgive a very naive question, but when I view my Gmail on my iPhone, is the email downloading on the phone and taking up storage or am I just viewing it on the web? Thank you.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Assuming you are using the native Mail app then yes it is downloaded and stored on the phone. In the Settings you can control how far back it keeps emails.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Default Re: Does Gmail use storage?

Or you can simply use the official Gmail app from the App Store and not worry about it being stored locally.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Or you can simply use the official Gmail app from the App Store and not worry about it being stored locally.
    Are you certain about that? I don't use the gmail app myself, so I'm mainly curious. Have you turned off wifi and cell service and opened the app to see if you could still see any emails?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Nanite

O.K., now I am really confused. What is the "native" mail app? Please remember, I am not real tech savvy. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckycat View Post
    O.K., now I am really confused. What is the "native" mail app? Please remember, I am not real tech savvy. Thank you!
    The "native" mail app is, in this instance, Apple's default mail app / the mail app that came pre installed with your device.
    iMore Nanite

If I understand the above thread, I can use the Gmail App and read my mail (and archived messages) without using the storage on my 6+. That means I can delete the Gmail mailbox in the Native App and thereby free up storage of old Gmail messages. Right now my phone says I have 25,546 saved emails. I do not know how to find out how much memory those 25K messages are hogging. Can you point me in the right direction?
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by djaucutt View Post
    If I understand the above thread, I can use the Gmail App and read my mail (and archived messages) without using the storage on my 6+. That means I can delete the Gmail mailbox in the Native App and thereby free up storage of old Gmail messages. Right now my phone says I have 25,546 saved emails. I do not know how to find out how much memory those 25K messages are hogging. Can you point me in the right direction?
    Easy way for you to find out is

1. Look at your storage and screenshot it for your own reference (to refer back to later)
    2. Remove your email address from your iPhone. (Settings>Mail>Accounts>Google/GMail>Delete Account)
    3. Then look at your storage again and see if it changed. (Settings>General>About> "Available"

If the amount of available storage goes up in number then you found out how much space it is taking up on your phone.

Also check
    Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage
    On this screen I see how much space every App on my iPhone is taking up. The screen with all the apps listed shows how much the app and the documents are taking up. (These numbers won't help you unless you delete the app.) You can then click each app icon and see how much space the documents and data is taking up on your phone.

My numbers are
    Inbox 14.5 MB
    Mail and Attachments 5.5 MB

This makes me think unlike the others have posted that if you are using a 3 party email service there will still be data stored on the device.